Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Premium Sound

I've found an X5 that has all the options I'm looking for, except it doesn't have premium sound. How much better is premium sound?
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
It's not. Marginal improvement at best.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35D
I would disagree. If you make the right adjustments to the equilizer on the Premium sound system, the audio is fantastic. Deep base, clear/crisp treble - sounds like "you're there" if you know what I mean. The base sound system is "tinny" and relatively empty sounding by comparison (we only used it on the test drive and I did my best to adjust it, but it wasn't in the same league as the Premium system.)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Premium sound is not worth it. Go with individual sound pkg
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^^ well that doesn't help the op, does it?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
I would disagree. If you make the right adjustments to the equilizer on the Premium sound system, the audio is fantastic. Deep base, clear/crisp treble - sounds like "you're there" if you know what I mean. The base sound system is "tinny" and relatively empty sounding by comparison (we only used it on the test drive and I did my best to adjust it, but it wasn't in the same league as the Premium system.)
Weingarm: Will you please share photos of your equalizer and treble / base settings?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^^^ well that doesn't help the op, does it?
Haha no not really. I have premium sound because I wanted Sirius. Premium sound does sound better when the EQ is adjusted; however voices do not come through very loud (talk radio, etc) and I find myself turning it way up. I would get standard sound if I did it again and just get patryk to activate Sirius.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Haha no not really. I have premium sound because I wanted Sirius. Premium sound does sound better when the EQ is adjusted; however voices do not come through very loud (talk radio, etc) and I find myself turning it way up. I would get standard sound if I did it again and just get patryk to activate Sirius.
Exactly what I did. I spent almost an hour listening to both systems before ordering my car last year. The markup really wasn't worth it because the prem. sound just isn't good. It's louder and has more mid, but it's not worth the extra cash.

If I had known about the Individual Sound Package when I ordered, I probably would have custom ordered it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX5Jr View Post
I've found an X5 that has all the options I'm looking for, except it doesn't have premium sound. How much better is premium sound?
"Better" is subjective and inconclusive as a means of judging each individual system (evidence lies in the different posts above).

Best advice, is to go to the dealership, find two identical E70s (with the base and premium sound) and sit down, listen to the media sources (ipod, sirius, regular, or HD) and make a decision if its worth it.

Questions whose answers might help you:
What systems are you accustomed to in your prior vehicles? ( Mark levinson, ELS, BOSE, harmon kardon, JBL, Pioneer, Sony)

Are you the type of person who invests in creating the ideal sound stage at home or not? (ex: do you purchase 5.1 system and then a audiometer and individually tune each speaker)

Lastly, BMW historically have been focused on the driving performance, aural pleasure is at the very end of the Hofmeister kink. Theyre trying now (with the partnership with Bang & Olufsen), however that wont render any benfits till the next generation (2014 F15) X5. The closest at the present moment to that, would be the individual sound (which requires the purchase of premium sound, plus the individual sound package).

Good Luck!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
The closest at the present moment to that, would be the individual sound (which requires the purchase of premium sound, plus the individual sound package).

Good Luck!
That is incorrect.

Individual sound is a different code and you do not order ZPS.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
"Better" is subjective and inconclusive as a means of judging each individual system (evidence lies in the different posts above).

Best advice, is to go to the dealership, find two identical E70s (with the base and premium sound) and sit down, listen to the media sources (ipod, sirius, regular, or HD) and make a decision if its worth it.

Questions whose answers might help you:
What systems are you accustomed to in your prior vehicles? ( Mark levinson, ELS, BOSE, harmon kardon, JBL, Pioneer, Sony)

Are you the type of person who invests in creating the ideal sound stage at home or not? (ex: do you purchase 5.1 system and then a audiometer and individually tune each speaker)

Lastly, BMW historically have been focused on the driving performance, aural pleasure is at the very end of the Hofmeister kink. Theyre trying now (with the partnership with Bang & Olufsen), however that wont render any benfits till the next generation (2014 F15) X5. The closest at the present moment to that, would be the individual sound (which requires the purchase of premium sound, plus the individual sound package).

Good Luck!
The premium you pay for the B&O systems in the Audi & Jag models has been...EXCESSIVE (e.g. $5K upgrade costs) so you can pretty much expect that option in the BMW line will likely be inline...equally un-affordable.

I AM one of those 7.2 guys (7 speakers + 2 subs) in my Home Theater and I DID specifically go out and bought a SPL meter simply for the subs measurements & have a tuner that can customize each speaker individually based on input from a centrally-positioned mic but even I would not pay those overly-excessive prices for the B&O systems so I would not wait for the same to show up on the next X5 iteration.

My prior '06 750Li had the Logic 7 surround sound system and the rear entertainment option. That system flat out ROCKED for movies and did fairly well for classical and other music. There were "non-music" fans who wanted more bass on the 7-series forums and they basically ruined good logic 7 systems playing crap...er, I mean rap. The Premium system in my current X5 is good enough to warrant an extra $1K over the base system but that's about it. I got it simply because it was on the vehicle I was looking at that was on the lot. If I had ordered instead, I would have spent those $'s on other options (like Ventilated seats &/or Cold air package)

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-29-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
That is incorrect.

Individual sound is a different code and you do not order ZPS.
Thanks for the correction.

I believe the Codes for the individual audio system (has to be specially ordered) are
752 EPS (enhanced premium sound). (I read that you have to add 655 for sat radio).

The price as of a poster back in 2011 was around $2100, so prices could be more or less (unlikely).

Good lucks

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: e60
Premium sound IS WAY different than the standard. Are you kidding me? Those people who are saying it's not must not have heard both or have not adjusted their eq's / surround settings on the premium audio package.

I would have never bought an x5 without it. the standard system is absolute garbage to any true audiophile.

Last edited by skunkd; 11-28-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
the standard system is absolute garbage to any true audiophile.
Unfortunately, the same is true about the premium. It *may* sound better to some people, but to me it was totally not worth the expense. I agree with those true audiophiles that do not recommend premium sound (and my home *stereo* is worth half of my X5). Again, individual taste will vary, so OP - check for yourself to avoid regrets later.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Year of the vehicle matters as well. The 2011s were cost cut and got the base audio system, which is terrible.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post
Unfortunately, the same is true about the premium. It *may* sound better to some people, but to me it was totally not worth the expense. I agree with those true audiophiles that do not recommend premium sound (and my home *stereo* is worth half of my X5). Again, individual taste will vary, so OP - check for yourself to avoid regrets later.
I have a fairly high caliber system at home as well and I share the same sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Year of the vehicle matters as well. The 2011s were cost cut and got the base audio system, which is terrible.
I have a 2011 with the hifi (base) system, and it actually doesn't sound that bad. Sure the bass extension isn't flat to 20hz, but the highs are very controlled and it's easy on the ears. Most of the after market speakers are far too bright once you're accustomed to an acoustically treated environment at home.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 AM

Yes I'm talking about the 2012+ Base audio system that I feel sounds good.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Premium Sound was a no brainier for me when I was ordering mine. Especially since the dropped the price to $950 for 13.

Then I did extensive listening to both systems. To put it mildly, I was underwhelmed by Premium Sound. I have to join the ranks of those audiophiles that do not recommend it. I was big into audio back in my day, even had a car stereo shop. Was a Dynaudio, McIntosh, Focal dealer. The standard system in the X5 has been recently upgraded. It sounds better to me than Premium. Premium has more Boom and the highs are harsher. The bass in the standard system is tighter and the overall balance is better. Played around with the eq settings on premium too.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
Was a Dynaudio, McIntosh, Focal dealer.
Not to thread-drift too badly, but as an old audiophile myself, I loved my MC2300 amp. Back when we used amps, preamps, separate radio tuners, etc.

I loved those big blue dials. I miss my hearing too.

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not to thread-drift too badly, but as an old audiophile myself, I loved my MC2300 amp. Back when we used amps, preamps, separate radio tuners, etc.

I loved those big blue dials. I miss my hearing too.
I'm still running a processor and seperate power amp at home. It's not quite Macintosh quality though