Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post
Aaaiiieeeeee!!! Not a Lexus!! Please say it ain't so!!!!!!

Interesting Lexus review on Autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/26/2...-sport-review/

"We're now wondering if this particular enthusiast-tuned GS is a better sport sedan than the benchmark BMW 535i."

"The steering on the Lexus (in Sport S or Sport S+ mode) feels damn near go-kart quick."

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

"We're now wondering if this particular enthusiast-tuned GS is a better sport sedan than the benchmark BMW 535i."

"The steering on the Lexus (in Sport S or Sport S+ mode) feels damn near go-kart quick."

CA
I'll save some of you guys some work.

1. A Lexus is a Rebadged Toyota
2. Lexus is not a Luxury Car.
3. Someone must have paid off the reviewer (what does he know anyway - probably a BMW Hater)
4. No BMW owner would ever drive a Lexus.
5. A Lexus is an old mans car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:

3. Someone must have paid off the reviewer (what does he know anyway - probably a BMW Hater)

CA
why havent you posted this in the F10 forum?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:

CA

Perfect. This should eliminate a page or two of predictable fussing.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
why havent you posted this in the F10 forum?
Yeah.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:

CA
That's my line!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Lexus leads the way to a brave new world....have you seen their new Sport LS?

Wimped M div better get movin'!!

I think I just went blind. That thing is hideous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:

This wasn't my experience when I drove it.

I wonder what I was doing wrong ;-)

-Corey
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

CA
Old news. Everyone knows the F10 is soft and fat. Much more so than the F30 compared to the E90. Not hard to beat in a comparo. Let's see if the next IS beats the 3 series.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Old news. Everyone knows the F10 is soft and fat. Much more so than the F30 compared to the E90. Not hard to beat in a comparo. Let's see if the next IS beats the 3 series.
Which begs the question: When will Lexus show the next IS? The existing one was around when the E46 was still a current model. You would think Toyota, with all its money and resources would be a bit more dynamic with their top line brand.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Lexus leads the way to a brave new world....have you seen their new Sport LS?

Wimped M div best get movin'!!

I wouldn't get a Lexus if it had wings and could fly. This has nothing to do with performance or style. It's purely emotional. Where I live, every other car is a Lexus. They tend to be the most obnoxious, rudest and most inept drivers on the road. They have a sense of "entitlement" when they drive that puts them in a class all their own. Yeah, yeah, it's a huge generalization, but where we live, that's how it is.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Old news. Everyone knows the F10 is soft and fat. Much more so than the F30 compared to the E90.
Maybe these things are much more subjective than we all want to accept.

I own an E60 535 right now. I drove the all new GS 350 and I've driven the F10 on numerous occasions (and now I've decided to order one).

I do not know if the all new GS 350 is an improvement over the previous GS because I've never driven the previous GS, but it is the worst of the three cars (E60, F10, GS) in terms of driving dynamics. The steering wasn't as good as the reviewers claim. Corning at 60 on a 30 MPH turn was a bit unnerving (the car was not well planted). Not so on the same turn with either my E60 or the F10. Additionally, my butt could not tell much of a difference at all between the various normal and sport modes (despite reviewers saying there is a big difference). The steering and the ride softness in any of the modes felt the same to me.

My E60 does have stiffer steering and better feel over the F10. But it is only marginally better (I guess this is enough for reviewers to slam it?). The F10 is of course better in every other way. And the F10 is still better than the GS in terms of steering feel, ride, and cornering. Additionally, the GS was particularly unsatisfying when putting my foot down (only ~270 torques that come on at much higher RPM than either the E60 or F10).

I have been unable to relate to the reviewers at all when it comes to the GS.

Perhaps what is going on is this: The reviewers are so excited Lexus is finally making an attempt to compete and the GS is so much better than the previous version that their feelings for it have become exaggerated as a result. I wouldn't know, because I've never driven a Lexus before the new GS.

This reminds me of times in the past when I've met up with friends at a steak house I've never been to. We have a great time and the steak tastes like the best steak ever. Then I return to the same steak house a few months later by myself because, of course, the steak was the best steak ever. I get the steak. And lo and behold, it's average? Sometimes the circumstances cause perception to be better than reality.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys who claim the F10 is terribly softer and bigger than the E60 have actually driven both cars, let alone really spent time with them to get a good feel for them.

Who posting on this list has actually driven, and I mean really driven, not just ho hum from point A to point B because your buddy "gave you the keys" to drive back from lunch to the office, the E60, F10, E90, F30, GS, to be able to claim the reviewers and other board members are correct in what they're saying?

Seriously, if you haven't driven the cars, then you can't really say much. I haven't driven the F30, so I keep my mouth shut regarding it. But when people post on these boards the F10 is "soft and fat" because "everyone knows" it, well, that's just not true. I don't know it. But then, I've actually driven them "for real."

-Corey
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
An important thing to remember is, when reading C&D, R&T, or any of the magazines that sell for 30 cents an issue, and full of car ads, they are required to love every car, whether it's a Lexus, BMW or Cadillac.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post
I wouldn't get a Lexus if it had wings and could fly. This has nothing to do with performance or style. It's purely emotional. Where I live, every other car is a Lexus. They tend to be the most obnoxious, rudest and most inept drivers on the road. They have a sense of "entitlement" when they drive that puts them in a class all their own. Yeah, yeah, it's a huge generalization, but where we live, that's how it is.
You just described a typical BMW driver in my area. This is one thing I really don't like about my 3 series, that is the stigma it comes with it.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post

I own an E60 535 right now. I drove the all new GS 350 and I've driven the F10 on numerous occasions (and now I've decided to order one).

I do not know if the all new GS 350 is an improvement over the previous GS because I've never driven the previous GS, but it is the worst of the three cars (E60, F10, GS) in terms of driving dynamics. The steering wasn't as good as the reviewers claim. Corning at 60 on a 30 MPH turn was a bit unnerving (the car was not well planted). Not so on the same turn with either my E60 or the F10. Additionally, my butt could not tell much of a difference at all between the various normal and sport modes (despite reviewers saying there is a big difference). The steering and the ride softness in any of the modes felt the same to me.

My E60 does have stiffer steering and better feel over the F10. But it is only marginally better (I guess this is enough for reviewers to slam it?). The F10 is of course better in every other way. And the F10 is still better than the GS in terms of steering feel, ride, and cornering. Additionally, the GS was particularly unsatisfying when putting my foot down (only ~270 torques that come on at much higher RPM than either the E60 or F10).

Perhaps what is going on is this: The reviewers are so excited Lexus is finally making an attempt to compete and the GS is so much better than the previous version that their feelings for it have become exaggerated as a result. I wouldn't know, because I've never driven a Lexus before the new GS.

This reminds me of times in the past when I've met up with friends at a steak house I've never been to. We have a great time and the steak tastes like the best steak ever. Then I return to the same steak house a few months later by myself because, of course, the steak was the best steak ever. I get the steak. And lo and behold, it's average? Sometimes the circumstances cause perception to be better than reality.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys who claim the F10 is terribly softer and bigger than the E60 have actually driven both cars, let alone really spent time with them to get a good feel for them.
Who posting on this list has actually driven, and I mean really driven, not just ho hum from point A to point B because your buddy "gave you the keys" to drive back from lunch to the office, the E60, F10, E90, F30, GS, to be able to claim the reviewers and other board members are correct in what they're saying?

Seriously, if you haven't driven the cars, then you can't really say much. I haven't driven the F30, so I keep my mouth shut regarding it. But when people post on these boards the F10 is "soft and fat" because "everyone knows" it, well, that's just not true. I don't know it. But then, I've actually driven them "for real."

-Corey
We have an '08 535xi also and the dealer gave me an F10 535i loaner for a day which I took advantage of by driving it through the paces. I'm surprised that you feel the E60 feels close to the F10. It took my wife (the 535xi is hers and she loves BMWs) 10 minutes to say that she wants to keep her car for a long time if this is what BMW has done with the 5 Series. I purchased the BMW extended warranty for her car shortly afterwards.

We also own an E93 335is convertible.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 11-28-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

-Corey
I have driven them all (the previous GS, not the new one). And I'm with you. The F10 benefits from ARS a little more than the E60, but it is no slouch. And it is not even close to the Chicken Little scenario so many bemoan. When the F10 first came out BMW did a driving event in my area with the Merc E350 and the Lexus GS350. (They also used the Audi A6 in other areas.). All were similarly equipped and were not loaded to the hilt with all the available technology. The 535i ran circles around the E and the GS. The E was especially bad. I was surprised.

BMW definitely increased the luxury factor on the F10 to attract more E Class buyers, but they didn't completely sell out the 5er to do it. btw - I've driven lots of E60s and F10s, not just once at a driving event.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
You just described a typical BMW driver in my area. This is one thing I really don't like about my 3 series, that is the stigma it comes with it.
It's interesting, different regions spawn different types of drivers. I was in the Philadelphia area a few years back and the most aggressive drivers were definitely the BMW drivers. Here, the BMW drivers are mostly tame. The Jaguar and Caddy drivers are the older people (that's a Jaguar for god's sake, it *wants* to be driven), the Mercedes drivers and the Audi drivers tend to fade into the background. The Lexus drivers are a dime a dozen and the Ranger Rover drivers tend to be aggressive as well. But I digress...
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
It took my wife (the 535xi is hers and she loves BMWs) 10 minutes to say that she wants to keep her car for a long time if this is what BMW has done with the 5 Series.
She may be better at noticing the difference than I am. I thought my E60 up a canyon road here near my home was marginally better than the F10, but not lots better.

My E60 has the sport package, but does *not* have active roll stabilization. Does your wife's? That could be a difference too.

I will also admit that I am a visual person so the interior of the F10 immediately won me over and to my eyes is miles ahead of the E60. I test drove the new GS because, again, being a visual person, I thought the interior was very classy (love the analog clock). But its driving dynamics were not as good as either the F10 or obviously the E60.

-Corey
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
She may be better at noticing the difference than I am. I thought my E60 up a canyon road here near my home was marginally better than the F10, but not lots better.

My E60 has the sport package, but does *not* have active roll stabilization. Does your wife's? That could be a difference too.

I will also admit that I am a visual person so the interior of the F10 immediately won me over and to my eyes is miles ahead of the E60. I test drove the new GS because, again, being a visual person, I thought the interior was very classy (love the analog clock). But its driving dynamics were not as good as either the F10 or obviously the E60.

-Corey
It's been about a year since we had the F10. She was initially put off by the front bumper and the overall size of the car appeared larger. She really liked the cup holders but hated the interior wood color and thought the dash looked cheapened. The biggest issue for her was the performance. She is a confident driver. The F10 felt sluggish getting onto the highway and sloppy on our back country roads. The brakes did not have as much bite either, and the car had much more body roll around corners.

My wife had a 2001 740il which we leased for business and she really loved. I wish we would have purchased the car at the end of the lease. The next car was an Infinity M45 which was a mistake as she hated the car and wanted back into a BMW. She really did not initially like the looks of the E60 but liked it much better than the 7 Series at the time. Now it's grown on her and the platinum-bronze exterior with cream interior helps the look, IMO.

Her car does not have the sport suspension (for sure) nor active roll stabilization (that I know of?). I bought a second set of 18" M Division wheels and Michelin ultra high performance tires for the summer which helps the car feel more connected to the road. Our 535xi also only has about 22,000 miles on it and still looks new, so I'm happy that she wants to keep it a while longer.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Now it's grown on her and the platinum-bronze exterior with cream interior helps the look, IMO.
Mine is jet black with the cream interior and the burl wood. It's a very nice color combination and feel very sophisticated. I suppose I am also one of those people who has always loved the exterior of the E60.

When I spec'ed my F10, I went with the venetian beige interior. I then added the dark red sycamore ($1,080 individual option) because I agree 100% with her assessment of the standard wood trims: they are terrible in both color and design/look. The dark wood is too dark, you can't see any of the grain. The light wood is too light and makes the plastics look cheap (like she noticed). The anthracite (or whatever it is) is too grey.

I suspect I will be happy with the venetian/dark red sycamore combination but we shall see.

Regarding the performance of the E60 vs. the F10, it sounds like your wife is much more discerning than I am. That's good for you in terms of wallet share (with BMW), or lack thereof rather :-)

That I am less discerning is bad for me for the same reason. But at the same time, I like the F10 interior so much more visually than that of the E60 I am happy to upgrade. Thankfully I can't feel the driving dynamic difference as much as it appears she can or I would stay with the E60 and not get the interior of the F10 I really want.

For me, the F10 drove close enough to the E60 so I'm striking for one. I *am* getting the "dynamic handling package" which gives me the active roll stabilization. Additionally, I have only really test driven xDrive F10's and I have heard there is a steering difference (xDrives are said to be better). I don't know though.

Anyway, I'll now turn this thread back over to the 3 series folks ;-)

-Corey
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Mine is jet black with the cream interior and the burl wood. It's a very nice color combination and feel very sophisticated. I suppose I am also one of those people who has always loved the exterior of the E60.

When I spec'ed my F10, I went with the venetian beige interior. I then added the dark red sycamore ($1,080 individual option) because I agree 100% with her assessment of the standard wood trims: they are terrible in both color and design/look. The dark wood is too dark, you can't see any of the grain. The light wood is too light and makes the plastics look cheap (like she noticed). The anthracite (or whatever it is) is too grey.

I suspect I will be happy with the venetian/dark red sycamore combination but we shall see.

Regarding the performance of the E60 vs. the F10, it sounds like your wife is much more discerning than I am. That's good for you in terms of wallet share (with BMW), or lack thereof rather :-)

That I am less discerning is bad for me for the same reason. But at the same time, I like the F10 interior so much more visually than that of the E60 I am happy to upgrade. Thankfully I can't feel the driving dynamic difference as much as it appears she can or I would stay with the E60 and not get the interior of the F10 I really want.

For me, the F10 drove close enough to the E60 so I'm striking for one. I *am* getting the "dynamic handling package" which gives me the active roll stabilization. Additionally, I have only really test driven xDrive F10's and I have heard there is a steering difference (xDrives are said to be better). I don't know though.

-Corey
That is true. The xDrive has hydraulic power steering. The rwd has eps.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:

-Corey
Enjoy your new car. It sounds like you're excited about it. I'm sure the F10 will grow on my wife in the future, but right now, she still loves her E60 especially now with her winter set of wheels/snow tires.

PS: I'm glad you upgraded the wood trim. The standard woods look like cheap plastic.

Current Stablemates:
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Enjoy your new car. It sounds like you're excited about it. I'm sure the F10 will grow on my wife in the future, but right now, she still loves her E60 especially now with her winter set of wheels/snow tires.

PS: I'm glad you upgraded the wood trim. The standard woods look like cheap plastic.
have her look at the GS too.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That is an anomaly and a defect in materials and/or workmanship. You should take it in to the dealer to be rectified under warranty. If you choose to live with it that us 100% on you.
The rattles are generally transient, so I don't have confidence the dealer would put in the effort to find it and fix it. It's there one day, gone the next, back another day after that. Rear parcel shelf. 3rd brake light housing. Driver cup holder when open. Something in the dash. Something around the front passenger seat. The buzz in the left B pillar (oh my God, this one is maddening!)

And to be honest, I am afraid that having them ripping the car apart to fix rattles will leave me with even more rattles.

Not to mention the whistling driver side mirror when the window is down, which is definitely not a defect in materials or workmanship. It is exactly as designed and completely wrong for a vehicle of this status. Yes I know how to fix it, the question is why I have to fix it in the first place. The first time I heard it I was having childhood flashbacks to rides in my Dad's old Plymouth Valiant from the '70s.

So when my rattly 3-Series gets to the point of me wanting to get rid of it, the ATS is definitely on my radar. My 328 drives marvelously, it's so comfortable (except for the annoying rattles), and I love how it looks. But I ****canned the Mazda3 it replaced because it turned into a rattle trap, only to find another much more expensive car that has the same exact problem. The rattly test drive should've been an omen, but I was so caught up in how great everything else was about the car that I didn't put adequate concern to the rattles. Now I know.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
have her look at the GS too.
We still have over 2 years left on the extended warranty for the '08 535xi. I figure I'll put it up for sale when we have about one year left so it will be attractive to a potential private buyer. The car is in super condition.

My wife also loves the 335is so she may take that one for her car and use the Tahoe during bad and winter weather. I currently use the Tahoe as my highway cruiser between FL & PA. If she takes the Tahoe, then I'll replace our '01 Suburban with some other reliable all-wheel drive highway cruiser.

Current Stablemates:

Last edited by beden1; 11-28-2012 at 05:02 PM.