Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 07-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Alpine / iPod adapter details

Alpine has released more details on its iPod adapter for some of its AiNet headunits.

They've also set a more specific deadline for its release: September 2004

See their web site at http://www.alpine-usa.com/ipod/

Marketing email said:
=============
The Best In-Vehicle Solution for Your iPod

Alpine thrives on developing new technologies to enhance your listening experience on the road. Those who have discovered the power of the Apple iPod and iTunes are definitely in store for a bigger and better surprise. Now iPod and iPod mini users can listen to all their favorite songs on the road. In late September, Alpine will ship the new KCA-420i interface adapter, which will allow your iPod to connect to your 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit. You can download your music from home, then plug the iPod into your car! Not only can all of your favorite songs be conveniently heard through your Alpine system, you'll be able to control the iPod through your head unit. View Here.

Availability: Late September at all authorized Alpine retailers.

Price: $100.00
=============
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325it / 5sp
How well do Alpine headunits integrate with BMWs? Can you still use the steering wheel buttons to control volume?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsf
How well do Alpine headunits integrate with BMWs? Can you still use the steering wheel buttons to control volume?
My Alpine 9815 integrated just fine with my HK/Sunfire system on my M Roadster. But it doesn't have wheel controls, so I can't comment on that aspect. It was plug-n-play except locating a wire to trigger dimming of the headunit when instrument panel lights are on (solve that).

BTW, latest rumor is the Alpine / iPod interface will be hitting the street during the week of September 20. Hopefully, I'll be the first on my block....
Old 10-02-2004, 09:35 PM

I got the Alpine iPod adapter successfully installed in my M Roadster on Thursday. I've given it a little 760 mile test drive since them -- it made the trip a lot less annoying.

Pictures will follow... but there is not much to show (since I didn't get any photos of the install behind the glove box).

I put the iPod in the glove box, and got a grommet added for the wire from behind the dash/glovebox. It's secure.

When plugged into the Alpine iPod adapter, the iPod just shows the Alpine logo -- the iPod buttons are disabled. All control is through the iPod headunit.

It seems to work just fine on my 9815 headunit. The key requirement is the AiNet interface and the Alpine QuickSearch function in the headunit.