Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 BMW 540i
99 540i compression Help please

Hi everyone
I posted a week ago about 99 540i bimmer still smoking at fresh start after changing the PCV( crankcase vent cover) some suggest VCG so I checked for leak leak and found oil around the engine bay down the front going toward the alternator, so I changed the VCG( Valve Cover Gasket) with a co worker who is a retired air craft mechanic and now buy cars fix and sell them mostly American cars, he rebuilds and swaps engine, trans. After we finished the CVG I started the car and it was making a loud sound from time to time so I test drove it and it was moving with to much difficulties with an helicopter sound cuz the car also has a deleted resonator and muffler so some times it makes a gun shot sound. my co worker asked me to changed spark plugs cuz he found oil on them and 4 were gone. today we changed the spark plugs hoping the issue will go away, but only that gun shot sounds is gone but the car still sounds like an helicopter, while changing the plugs he tested the pistons compression on the driver side piston 1 to 3 were 175 and the 4 th was 150 and the passenger side the 1&2 were 175 but the 3rd one had 0 cuz the tester gauge kept back and forth from o to up and remain in 0 the 4th was around 60 so he concluded the piston on piston 3 is off duty and 4th is close too. The car is driving only with 6 cylinders right now instead of 8. We bought something called stop smoke and piston seal at auto zone to put in hoping the piston rings 3 and 4 on passenger side will engage I have driven about 20mi so far today with no result, He recommend to change the piston rings which will cost me too much money as he said than putting another engine in the car cus I have to do the work to a shop not with him cuz he is going to Asia for 3 months. the car has 119,000 mile
I really need advise and help for the next step this car is costing too much complete cooling system changed at 117k right after I bought the car, new clutch kit , new MAF sensor, new crankcase vent cover now new valve cover gasket and spark plugs and now they asked me to rebuild or swap the engine, does it worth to buy an e39 when everything is due around 117k to 119k even the engine which sounds weird in bimmer, my 99 330i e49 had 185k with 5 spds manual with a new cooling system and clutch kit was driving like my body 2006 Chrysler 300 with 90k and if my 99 540i needs another at 119k my new year resolution might be a Mercedes Benz sorry BMW
Any help is appreciated I am a really bimmer lover and I switched from Benz to BMW may go back, this site is the reason I am driving bimmer though, thanks all you guys for every little help or advise
Advertisement