Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 550i
ENET cable and coding

Can anyone tell me where can I get a good ENET cable ? Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
ENET cable and coding

Ebay

Sent from Bighorns' closet.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Contact User April1 for ENET Cable:

http://enetcables.com/

Or you can buy it from One-Stop Electronics:

Ethernet to OBD2 Adapter (ENET)

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=23

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 AM

Mein Auto: 7 series
Sorry to ask this on your thread but this way is one less thread around the forum.
(Bolded the text for quicker read)

rajeek mentioned ebay and thats where i was thinking of buying one but im having some doubts on picking one.

They all seem pretty much the same, but there are some that cost from 20$ to 50$. Are they all pretty much the same or there are differences? I prefered to get a cheaper one ( of course lol) but i want one that works, and since there are even diy on how to make one i thought a cheaper one would work.

This is what i was thinking of buying :

Ebay link

Or this one - link 2

Is this any good? I will use it on a 2013 7 series ( f01)

Thanks

Last edited by sgriffin33; 06-13-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
There is only one ENET Cable design. What does vary widely is the workmanship and the materials of construction (Cat-5 vs. Cat-6 Ethernet, Stranded vs. Solid Core Wire, Accuracy / Tolerance of the 510 Ohm Resistor, etc.) hence the pricing variations.

To answer your question though, nobody is going to be able to tell you if one eBay ENET Cable is better than another. I do know April1 makes a quality cable, and I think his price is quite reasonable and competitive. I can't speak to other ones as I have no experience with them.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 535I
I was very happy with this seller. He is US based and helped me troubleshoot issues that ended up having nothing to do with his cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201069740077...84.m1439.l2649
Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Token Master

Mein Auto: Coded F30
Unless you're in EU, both appears to be a lot more expensive than they have to be. CAT5/5e/6/7 hardly makes a difference as CAN Bus is slow protocol, I believe at only 1mbps, so even a cable rated at 10mbps is plenty. Choose one with thicker gauge and the most important component of an ENET cable is the resistor. Choose one with low tolerance, <1% or at the most 2%. Lastly, workmanship makes a whole lot of difference.

April1 seems to be the pioneer in this field, so can't go wrong with him. If you go the eBay route, I can give you a link or two.

Last edited by TokenMaster; 06-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: ducati
I can't believe how ENET cable can be a problem.
Grab an rj45 net cable, cut one end, take the proper wires and make a few solders. Take one resistor (value is not critical as it is only required to activate the network) and the cable is done.
I did at least twenty cable getting cheap OBD plug form china. All of them are currently being used by fellows.
Total cost is less than 10 bucks.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions and explitnations, it really helps!

Im in Europe, thats why i was looking into ebay listings (and also because im used to ebay). I was thinking that maybe someone would have order one of those 2, because that way it would probably be just hoping its well made like you all said, we can't exactly judge the work done on them.

The suggestion to get a very cheap obd2 and then trade for the ethernet cable its a good idea.
I found in a local electronics store a obd2 plug and thought i might try the diy,at least it would be quicker than finding one and wait for it to get shipped, the only problem with it is that it doesn't have the plastic case (like these ) and its only something like this..I might have to think of something to make it a bit more stable maybe or easier to hold and that won't ruin the solder work.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Token Master

You can't just use any resistors with random rating. PIN16 is +12V (hot, battery+) and PIN8 is K-LINE. Using any resistor value is a disaster waiting to happen. Too low, and you'll end up with fried components, too high, cable won't work. Low wattage, the resistor could burn and if you're in the middle of a coding session, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Diagram is available, and components aren't really hard to find, so stick with the specification should you decide to make your own. There's no reason to do otherwise.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfedor View Post
I was very happy with this seller. He is US based and helped me troubleshoot issues that ended up having nothing to do with his cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201069740077...84.m1439.l2649
I've got one of his too. He's active on the bmw coding forums, so I figured he wasn't a flyby nite cheapo operation. Only $20, fast delivery, nice cable. What more are you looking for?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMaster View Post
You can't just use any resistors with random rating. PIN16 is +12V (hot, battery+) and PIN8 is K-LINE. Using any resistor value is a disaster waiting to happen. Too low, and you'll end up with fried components, too high, cable won't work. Low wattage, the resistor could burn and if you're in the middle of a coding session, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Diagram is available, and components aren't really hard to find, so stick with the specification should you decide to make your own. There's no reason to do otherwise.
NEVER said USE any value!!! The indication is a 510-560 ohm. Value is NOT critical so you can take close values...you can build your own resister with parallel/series connection with any resistor you may have in your garage.
Required wattage is 0.6 w so stay on the safe side and take 1 w. End of the story. Please stop making things difficult for people who do not know and help them the proper way!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:03 AM

hope it helps

Old 06-14-2014, 02:06 AM

same suggestion for esys token. I respect efforts made by others. But so far I have to say many many users are using self generated tokens with "old good" angrydad system for esys up to 3.24!..NEVER EVER heard about any problem!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
I didn't get the resistor at the time, might get it today, because i was at the store and since they had it i thought i would try it. Then i saw the scheme and a good tutorial in pdf that is here on the foruns and noticed that i was missing the resistor and i think i will follow that tutorial(it includes the diagram posted here). Hopefully everything will go alright *fingerscrossed*

If it doesn't go that well, i guess i will have to use ebay. The last link posted is a good price, but then it comes the shipping and its actually the same price of the cable. But in the end the price doesn't stay far off from other cables, except the ones shipping from China.

Also, since the obd2 plug i got is like this and not with the full plastic case, do you think there would be any problem using it? Im afraid that it won't be as stable or easy to remove or something like that =/ Anyone used one of these?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Token Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince59 View Post
NEVER said USE any value!!! The indication is a 510-560 ohm. Value is NOT critical so you can take close values...you can build your own resister with parallel/series connection with any resistor you may have in your garage.
Required wattage is 0.6 w so stay on the safe side and take 1 w. End of the story.
What did you mean with the following then?
Quote:
...Take one resistor (value is not critical as it is only required to activate the network)...
Maybe my comprehension is failing me but I'm trying to clear what others might take from that statement. And again, it's 511 Ohm, not 510-560. Resistors are not precise so a +/-5% on the high side and +/-1% on the low side is acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince59 View Post
... Please stop making things difficult for people who do not know and help them the proper way!
I wasn't aware I was making it difficult and not being helpful at all.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMaster View Post

I wasn't aware I was making it difficult and not being helpful at all.
never mind I am not native english speaking
Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328ix
I ordered the F-series ENET cable from www.codecard.it on the 4th. anybody has an idea of how long would it take for it to arrive?