BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Generating Routes in Google Maps for uploading into your BMW Nav System

42K views 91 replies 26 participants last post by  Rsnic 
#1 · (Edited)
Google Maps is a better and more efficient tool to generate routes than the BMW Navigation System. You have the flexibility to change routes as you wish and select specific roads from point A to point B. The attached manual (and program) describes how you can generate trip files that can be imported into your BMW Nav system. This is possible thanks to the great programing work of our fellow fester, Aussie40d, from the E70 forum. Enjoy.

JEG23

View attachment Google Maps to BMW Nav.pdf

View attachment Convert Google Maps and Google Earth to BMW V1.0.3.xlsm.pdf

Remove .pdf extension

Electronics Technology Electronic device Font Vehicle

Technology Auto part Electronic device Car Games

Technology Vehicle Car Auto part Electronic device

Technology Font Auto part Electronic device Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Google Maps is a better and more efficient tool to generate routes than the BMW Navigation System. You have the flexibility to change routes as you wish and select specific roads from point A to point B. The attached manual (and program) describes how you can generate trip files that can be imported into your BMW NAv system. This is possible thanks to the great programing work of our fellow fester, Aussie40d, from the E70 forum. Enjoy.

JEG23

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|352p12|19819839|Google%20Maps%20to%20BMW%20Nav.pdf|1505|0|0

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|677p9|1671417881|Convert%20Google%20Maps%20and%20Google%20Earth%20to%20BMW%20V1.0.3.xlsm|166|0|0

View attachment 350720

View attachment 350721

View attachment 350722

View attachment 350723
Awesome work Juan! :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing you solve the POI import next.

#3 ·
I've verified that this works on an 2012 F30.

Are there any plans on making this work with more than 1 destination? I created a 3 stop trip in google maps, but when I imported the trip, only the start and first destination were imported. Sheet 2 (temp worksheet?) shows all destinations (read from the KML), but they don't seem to appear in the final XML.

Also, I tried to look at the VBA code, but it's password protected. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks for the hard work on this!! I had tried previously to do just this kind of thing, but ran out of time.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Did you car already had the "import" feature active? Is that capability only removed in the US?

JEG23

#7 ·
@Jeg, did you also look at NAVI_DEST_IMPORT, which is supposedly "Asia Only"?

I am wondering if we can import an address from USB, similar to how Google Sen-To-Car works, and then Navigate to that address.

#8 ·
@Jeg, did you also look at NAVI_DEST_IMPORT, which is supposedly "Asia Only"?

I am wondering if we can import an address from USB, similar to how Google Sen-To-Car works, and then Navigate to that address.
Shawn,

I have not tried this yet (maybe somebody can beat me to it before I get home), but if you only input a destination in Google (not a point A and a point B), save it to "Maps" and then generate the KML file, it will also be processed by the program and generate a one point place that could probably can be imported via "Import Trips" without any additional changes to the car coding.

It is of course easier to do this via the Google "send to car" function, but it might be convenient of you want to upload multiple destinations in one shot.

If that does not work I will try the "Asia Only" code that you suggest.

JEG23

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks FrogmanF30.

I expected that since you are in the US. Our cars do not have the "trip import" function on by default. In most of Europe (I think) and for example in Australia, this function is activated.

I think in some Asian countries (please let me know otherwise), maybe they cannot do the "Google Send to the car" by default.

Have you tried to generate a KML file with only one point and then import that via the "trip import" feature? If not I will try this tonight. In addition to generating trips via Google Maps, it would be useful to have multiple destinations in an USB that can be easily imported to the car.

If that does not work then we should try (as Shawn suggests) the "Asia only" destination code and see if another import menu item shows up.

JEG23

#16 ·
I can confirm that this works for an E90 also. When I did European Delivery I took a USB drive with specific routes on it in hopes the feature would work (some had reported success on an ED vehicle and some did not). The option to import was not even in the menu (good thing I had a backup plan). Over the weekend I used this thread and found NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT in CIC, made it aktiv, saved it back, and now I have the import from USB option in the nav. I'll definitely be taking my laptop with me on the next ED trip to enable this. :)

It may already be known that it works for E Series cars but in case someone searches and comes across this thread I thought I'd add the info.

#17 ·
Merlosso,

Thanks for letting us know it also works for the E90. I find it myself very useful. The BMW navigation system likes to send via routes that I do not like. This lets me decide how I want to get to my destination.

JEG23

#28 ·
Which method to chose.. Everyones choice

There are few things to keep in mind:

If you have BMW Assist:
- then you may plan your trips in googlemaps and send it conveniently to your car

If not:
You cannot send your trip via googlemaps to your car and need to use one of the methods.

My method supports directly multiple destinations in a trip through the tyretotravel software, and with the structure I described, at least a europe model 9/2011 can cope with the data. The raw xml from #1 was not recognized on my car.

Bmwroutes.com works apparently only for europe and couple of countries, so limitations are there, gadgets like adding pictures to your trip and descriptions makes this way sweet:)

Everyone may choose and would be good to have feedback in which countries, with which modells and build, one or the other method is favourable.

EB

Attachments

#31 ·
I tried to use the conversion program today, but when I clicked on "...convert Google Maps routes to BMW Nav file," I get the following Excel error message "Compile error: Can't find project or library." Any idea what the problem is? Looking forward to using this program to generate custom routes.

Thanks in advance,
tuatua

#33 ·
Solved the problem. Determined JEG23's conversion program needs to run on Excel in Windows on a PC. I was using Excel for MAC, then tried using Excel for Windows in a Windows emulator on my MAC. Neither worked. When I ran the conversion program using Excel on a Windows PC, the conversion program worked perfectly.

tuatua

#38 ·
Any suggestions for Excel on Mac? Is there a way to modify the macro? The macro does not work on the Mac version....

#41 ·
Import Trip Not Displayed

Hi,

Have the Juan's spreadsheet downloaded, as well as his instructions. The spreadsheet works great, but I have a more basic problem.

As per his instructions, I coded HU_NBT-> 3000 HMI-> NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT to aktiv (from nicht_aktiv), but when I go Navigation, the Stored trips option doe not show up on the screen. BTW, neither does Route information.

Have 2014 F30 with Pro Nav and I-Step is F020-13-07-503.

Welcome any thoughts as I want to use Google to select routes for a trip and send that to the Car -- way easier than doing do in the car!

Thanks

#42 ·
With NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT aktiv, you should have "Import trip (USB)" under Navigation=>Stored trips.

#44 ·
I have no idea then. It works for CIC. Maybe for NBT it doesn't work the same.

#45 ·
I have small problem... The "Stored trips" item in the menu is not there. What am I missing ? This is a retrofitted CIC but should not matter, right ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.