Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i (Sports Pack)
Oil Leak Quote Question X5

I have a 2006 BMW X4 4.4i (Sports Package) and I recently discovered I have an oil leak. I brought it to a shop and the mechanic gave me a quote that seemed high. Here it is.

Alternator Bracket N62 - Alternator support bracket leaking engine oil. Support engine, lower front subframe, remove alternator, remove power steering pump, remove bracket and replace gasket. Clean. ($1404.00 Labor)

Upper Timing Covers N62 - Replace timing cover and valve cover gaskets. Clean and top off oil. ($1350.00 Labor)

Steering - Replace power steering pressure line. Top off and bleed fluid. ($86.40 Labor)

Total Labor - $2841.40
Parts - $695

Can someone tell me if this seems reasonable or not? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
What is his hourly rate and how long did he tell you it will take to do everything?

If it will take him a day his hourly rate will be $355.18
If it will take him two days his hourly rate will be $177.58
and If it takes him three days his hourly rate is $118.39

If he's not a dealer his rate seems HIGH.

Also what type of guarantee will he provide for the work performed? BMW guarantee their work for 2 years unlimited mileage.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM

The shop says it will take 2 days to fix the leaks. I didn't ask about the exact hourly rate once I saw the quote reach a total of $3600. They offer a 18 month/18,000 mile warranty on all repairs. I plan on taking it to BMW next week and another private shop to compare quotes.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 PM

I would have each repair shop come up with what is the problem instead of telling them to fix this and that. I know it will be like comparing apple to oranges, but sometime unnecessary work is performed by shops to pad the bill, or in worse case the work is not done, but you are charge for the work because that wasn't the problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM

That's pretty much my plan. The quote seemed high to me and I have a feeling I can get it done for less. I'm most interested in seeing if each shop finds leaks in the same places. I noticed that some of the parts were marked up on the work order so it's possible they are padding other stuff too. From what I've read online my car has a large engine and it's difficult to maneuver when you go under the hood. That could be the reason for the expensive labor. Apparently it's a very arduos task to deal with an X5 4.4i.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 01 X5 4.4i
My local did the following:

Valve cover gaskets 2 X $21
Timing cover Seals 2 x $6.75
Vanos Solenoid seal 2 x $5.50
Cam sensor seal 2 x $2.00
Valve cover seal washers 22 x $0.75
Spark plugs NGK 8 @ 8.75
Parts Total: $157.00

Labor: 12.8 hours @ $90.00/hr
Total Labor: $1152.00

Total Job: $1,309.00

2001 X5 4.4i (M62 Engine)

Parts and labor for less than labor alone for only part of what I had done above. And my guy did comment that everything is more expensive with the V8. And yes, it is wedged in there!

Is your guy a BMW-only guy or a Euro- or All- Car guy? I would find a good BMW-specific independent!

Last edited by knfxda; 03-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 AM

I spoke with another shop and they told me the brake vacuum pump is leaking fluid, oil pressure switch is leaking fluid and the left and right upper timing cover gaskets are leaking. Parts and labor for all $1720.00 plus tax.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM

Curious as to what type of fluid the brake vacuum pump would be leaking, since the pump is only there to provide vacuum to the brake booster unlike earlier engines where manifold pressure was adequate to provide the vacuum to the booster. The brake vacuum pump is located at the front of the engine and is driven off the engine. Looks like knxfda got a lot more done on his X at a much lower price from a BMW Indy.

Last edited by upallnight; 03-25-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Apparently it's leaking lubricating oil. I'm contemplating taking it to a third shop to see if there are any consistencies with each diagnosis. This second guy is about 2K less, which seems a lot more reasonable but still expensive. He also didn't mention anything about the power steering line. The first shop I went to said it needs to be replaced.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Also, the second shop I went to is charging $654.00 for parts and labor is $980.00 plus tax.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 01 X5 4.4i
Try using bimmershops.com to find a local independent. It worked very well for me as the reviews helped a lot. Also, the guy I went with,did the prework inspection with me and demonstrated what needed to be done. I was standing under my vehicle along side him as he did his run through. When I picked up the X, he had every part that was removed from the vehicle laid out for me and walked me through each of the removed parts, further justifying the work that was done was indeed needed.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM

I found my BMW Indy on Yelp. Did a search for BMW repair shops and they listed a few shops along with comments from people that used those shops. Turns out the shop owner worked for one of the largest BMW dealership in my area and worked there for about 20 years before opening his own shop. he was very knowledgeable. All the comments that I read was that the shop service was good and the price reasonable.

I use him when I don't want to do a repair or when the BMW is acting up in the middle of winter. Too old top be fussing with the car when temps are in the teens and the garage is not heated.