Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM
brainblonde brainblonde is offline
Registered User
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 328i
New Key

If a new key is purchased for the car. What process has to be done in order for the key to work?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,544
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
If you want a *REAL*, reliable key that will activate all the proper functions, you have to get it through the dealer. Price varies, anywhere from $175 to $225.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM
GoForthFast GoForthFast is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
You need proof of ID and ownership.
And dealer has to program it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Bimmer3Series Bimmer3Series is offline
Bimmer Lover Since '96
Location: Lewisburg, WV
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 1999 328ic & 2001 325xi
Master KEY?

We picked up our '01 325xi in Sept. & only had 1 master key (for my wife) which worked fine. I ordered another (for me) from a dealership, got it last week, programmed it & it worked fine. Well, my wife hasn't driven the car since last week due to illness but I have with my key & it worked fine. Today, she drove the car but said the key would not lock the car. I tried hers & sure enough, no lockee... my key locks & unlocks fine. I tried putting the key in the door lock but I couldn't get that to work either unless I just wasn't turning it far enough. Her Key that we got first had just had a new battery put in before we picked up the car... So, what is the deal?? Is her Battery dead or does it need re-programmed? Shouldn't the key still be able to lock & unlock using the driver's door lock?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
joegr joegr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gulfport, MS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 203
Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer3Series View Post
... Shouldn't the key still be able to lock & unlock using the driver's door lock?

Thanks!
If I remember correctly, when you programmed the new key to remotely lock and unlock the doors, you erased the old key (for locking/unlocking only). You have to program all keys (two in your case) for remote locking at the same time.

As for it not working in the door lock, either you didn't turn it far enough or your mechanical lock linkage is broken. If it is broke, I'd fix it before you get locked out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Bimmer3Series Bimmer3Series is offline
Bimmer Lover Since '96
Location: Lewisburg, WV
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 1999 328ic & 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
If I remember correctly, when you programmed the new key to remotely lock and unlock the doors, you erased the old key (for locking/unlocking only). You have to program all keys (two in your case) for remote locking at the same time.

As for it not working in the door lock, either you didn't turn it far enough or your mechanical lock linkage is broken. If it is broke, I'd fix it before you get locked out.
Thanks for the reply. So, how do I program both keys at the same time? I had to put the new key in the ignition, turn to position 2 (without starting car), turn back off, remove key, hold down the unlock button & push the lock button 3 times. If I do this again with the "old" first key, will it erase the new key then?

Thanks for your help. I'll try the key in the door lock again when I get home, the car's in the garage, driving the old trusty '92 318ic.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
joegr joegr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gulfport, MS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 203
Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer3Series View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, how do I program both keys at the same time? I had to put the new key in the ignition, turn to position 2 (without starting car), turn back off, remove key, hold down the unlock button & push the lock button 3 times. If I do this again with the "old" first key, will it erase the new key then?

Thanks for your help. I'll try the key in the door lock again when I get home, the car's in the garage, driving the old trusty '92 318ic.
Do one of the keys just like you did before. Then right after you finish the first key, grab the second key. Hold down the unlock button & push the lock button 3 times on the second key. Don't turn the ignition switch for the second key, and don't open the car door until you are done.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Bimmer3Series Bimmer3Series is offline
Bimmer Lover Since '96
Location: Lewisburg, WV
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 1999 328ic & 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Do one of the keys just like you did before. Then right after you finish the first key, grab the second key. Hold down the unlock button & push the lock button 3 times on the second key. Don't turn the ignition switch for the second key, and don't open the car door until you are done.
Cool, thank you!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms