Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM
MelloF30 MelloF30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Maybe it is broken and you have a defect lol get it checked! The stock system is great, better than any other stock system I have ever had and or heard, HK sounds great but def not worth 900 bucks, id rather have cold weather package or sport auto tranny or adaptive m suspension....it would be very far down on my list really i guess is my only point lol if that really even matters.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
LarryboysUDM's Avatar
LarryboysUDM LarryboysUDM is offline
Apay Kapoy
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
My "Must Have":
MT
Leather
Dynamic Handling Package
M Sport Line/Package
HK Sound
Technology Package
Xenon Adaptive Headlights
Power moonroof
Anti-theft alarm system
Tint

My "Must Consider":
Premium Package
Park Distance Control
19" wheels/tires
Sport Automatic
Heated Front Seats
__________________
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
25K mi Oct14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
jfox335i jfox335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 266
Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloF30 View Post
I've driven many F30's so I will throw in my 2 cents for whatever its worth

First the only thing I can absolutely say is a must have is the lighting package....it just loses the BMW look without it and I hear there is no true upgrade available after the fact

Second, if you had unlimited funds you probably would not be posting this thread, therefore anything after that is all personal opinion.

I use my nav and iphone alot so the navigation for me was essential and comes with everything you need, tech package is really not important unless you want a Head Up Display which I did not and still do not like, I remember when corvettes had it ages ago and I hated it then and still do now although BMW did a much nicer job with it.

Forget all these tech upgrade with all these cameras...totally lame, buy a lexus if thats what you are looking for.

The handling package and sport automatic tranny are cool if you have spare money but you def do not "need them" as you would drive the car in a way so much where you will see that a vast difference. All the sport auto gives you is a nice appearence and paddle shifters, Drive sport mode comes with the regular auto tranny so no loss.

I personally loathe sun roofs but its totally personal I live where its warm for 3 months and ive never used em in the past....maybe if i smoked or wanted the extra weight or wanted to fix it in the future or liked the wind noise it makes or like the sun glaring on my shaved head then i would get it

You would be happy with the leather and lumbar support and comfort access but it's an expensive option so its not neccessary, leatherette wears better especially if you have kids

Cold weather package is cool but like i said if you are on a budget just get heated front seats its really the most important part

Save money on paint it you are looking for black or white dont get the metal flakes....nothing looks better than a freshly waxed Jet Black BMW!

As far as sound system no need for harmon kardon TRUST me on that one the stock sound system is amazing...ive heard both and cant really tell much a difference at all

I would however reccomend you get a line of your choosing, I like the sport or m sport line but thats just me, I think you would regret going without one

Usually on these forums it's people rattling off what they got on theirs but it truly is all about personal tastes, let me know if you have questions and goodluck!
Good response. Agreed except for leather. Premium package and Lighting are must haves, leatherette in a bimmer is a travesty. The BMW sport seats are the best available, they'd be a must have for me.
__________________
Current: 2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast
Retired: 2012 F30 335i Sedan - Sport Line

BMWCCA #471315
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
SD330i SD330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, Ca.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 724
Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Check mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
A thread I wanted to put together to help new F30 owners in their buying decision. Let's get some options/packages that are 'must haves' or 'must consider'. I will kick it off. A package that I think new owners should consider is the Handling package. This feature allows you to change the characteristic of the car with a push of a button. It gives the car a Jackle and Hyde personality. I would strongly recommend this package. Now, share some more!

I will kick it off with the
Just got new 335i at PCD in Ocotober. I would say everything we ordered is a must have. The PCD was a for sure Must Have. Spoiled now, must have heated seats, leather, HK, Dynamic Handling Package, 8 AT, CA, Tech Package. Its all Good
__________________
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
MelloF30 MelloF30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
My only point was that if permium package and leather send the car out of your budget then settle with leatherette, its not as if dakota leather is that much different, if you really want high class leather then go with BMW individual and spend the extra 5k on really good leather seats...like i said the only option that is truly a must have no questions asked is the lighting package all the rest is personal
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
It's true, the Dakota leather is not much different than leatherette. You'd fool 9/10 people with the leatherette, anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,737
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
It's true, the Dakota leather is not much different than leatherette. You'd fool 9/10 people with the leatherette, anyways.
my ass notices the difference.
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is online now
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,129
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
It's true, the Dakota leather is not much different than leatherette. You'd fool 9/10 people with the leatherette, anyways.
yup, the 3 series dakota leather is a pretty low quality leather. its a urethane impregnated, texture enhanced leather. basically the leather is treated with a plastic, then the texture is rolled into it with a press under heat and pressure (which is why it resembles the leatherette so closely, just like the 'ette, it has its texture rolled into it). it does breathe a little better than the leatherette. i've had both. the nappa leather in a 5'er is far nicer.
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,803
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post

Options/Packages that are 'must have' or 'must consider'
328i Configuration. It's a fantastic engine, makes a ton of HP, makes gobs of torque, is lighter than previous generations, handles like a dream, and gets great gas mileage. The 335i is overkill. Great car, not necessary anymore. The 328i closed the gap too tightly for the 335i to matter anymore.

Rear Wheel Drive. Own the car the way it was meant to be owned. XDrive is not a way to avoid snow tires. Very few geographic areas require both XDrive and snow tires anyway, so its a waste of time and money.

A "Line". The base model is missing too many features and too much styling. You need a Sport line or a Luxury line. Start there.

Technology Package. The LCD screen is the centerpiece of the cockpit and the smaller panel shoved in the larger piece of plastic looks atrocious. The F30 is a technological marvel, one shouldn't skimp on iPhone integration, album art, split screen, streaming audio, and of course the heads-up display.

Snow Tires. Not a BMW option, but if you live where the majority of 3 Series are sold you need good rubber for the winter time. No matter how you build your car, reserve $1200 for this critical safety feature. If it boils down to snow tires vs. XDrive, you choose the snow tires. Every time.

Lighting Package. A BMW isn't a BMW without xenon's. Not only is it a signature styling cue, but it is a quantum leap in illumination which enhances performance and safety.

Premium Package. Lots of goodies in an affordably priced bundle. Comfort access, all the toys, leather.

Rear Camera w/Park Distance Control. Very helpful, very safe, and BMW's execution is top-notch. If you have kids or live in a city environment it's a can't-miss feature.

Heated Seats. You don't need the winter package, just the seats.

Those are the "must haves". There are no "must considers" because at $50,000 you can afford any option you want and shouldn't drop a feature or two because you want to save a few dollars. Build it the way you want it, spend the money, done.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,297
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
yup, the 3 series dakota leather is a pretty low quality leather. its a urethane impregnated, texture enhanced leather. basically the leather is treated with a plastic, then the texture is rolled into it with a press under heat and pressure (which is why it resembles the leatherette so closely, just like the 'ette, it has its texture rolled into it). it does breathe a little better than the leatherette. i've had both. the nappa leather in a 5'er is far nicer.
Actually Dakota leather is good quality leather. It is top-grain grade leather which is the grade just below full-grain leather, which is what the Nappa/Novillo and Merino leather is. Top-grain leather is treated as Orient describes because it increases its durability. Top-grain leather is the most common grade of leather. Dakota leather is even used in the 7 Series.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
328i Configuration. It's a fantastic engine, makes a ton of HP, makes gobs of torque, is lighter than previous generations, handles like a dream, and gets great gas mileage. The 335i is overkill. Great car, not necessary anymore. The 328i closed the gap too tightly for the 335i to matter anymore.

Rear Wheel Drive. Own the car the way it was meant to be owned. XDrive is not a way to avoid snow tires. Very few geographic areas require both XDrive and snow tires anyway, so its a waste of time and money.

A "Line". The base model is missing too many features and too much styling. You need a Sport line or a Luxury line. Start there.

Technology Package. The LCD screen is the centerpiece of the cockpit and the smaller panel shoved in the larger piece of plastic looks atrocious. The F30 is a technological marvel, one shouldn't skimp on iPhone integration, album art, split screen, streaming audio, and of course the heads-up display.

Snow Tires. Not a BMW option, but if you live where the majority of 3 Series are sold you need good rubber for the winter time. No matter how you build your car, reserve $1200 for this critical safety feature. If it boils down to snow tires vs. XDrive, you choose the snow tires. Every time.

Lighting Package. A BMW isn't a BMW without xenon's. Not only is it a signature styling cue, but it is a quantum leap in illumination which enhances performance and safety.

Premium Package. Lots of goodies in an affordably priced bundle. Comfort access, all the toys, leather.

Rear Camera w/Park Distance Control. Very helpful, very safe, and BMW's execution is top-notch. If you have kids or live in a city environment it's a can't-miss feature.

Heated Seats. You don't need the winter package, just the seats.

Those are the "must haves". There are no "must considers" because at $50,000 you can afford any option you want and shouldn't drop a feature or two because you want to save a few dollars. Build it the way you want it, spend the money, done.

BJ
:thumbsup:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM
wayner44 wayner44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: boat
is it me? or am I the only one that thinks "Blow Job" every time I see BJ's signature?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is online now
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,129
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Actually Dakota leather is good quality leather. It is top-grain grade leather which is the grade just below full-grain leather, which is what the Nappa/Novillo and Merino leather is. Top-grain leather is treated as Orient describes because it increases its durability. Top-grain leather is the most common grade of leather. Dakota leather is even used in the 7 Series.
i believe dakota is corrected grain leather...
http://www.banux.de/leder/automobill...mw-dakota.html

lets be clear, its not just to increase its durability:
Full-grain leather refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains allowing the fiber strength and durability. The grain also has breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop a patina over time. High quality leather furniture and footwear are often made from full-grain leather. Full-grain leathers are typically available in two finish types: aniline and semi-aniline.
Top-grain leather (the most common type used in high-end leather products) is the second-highest quality. It has had the "split" layer separated away, making it thinner and more pliable than full-grain. Its surface has been sanded and a finish coat added to the surface which results in a colder, plastic feel with less breathability, and it will not develop a natural patina. It is typically less expensive and has greater resistance to stains than full-grain leather, so long as the finish remains unbroken.
Corrected-grain leather is any leather that has had an artificial grain applied to its surface. The hides used to create corrected leather do not meet the standards for use in creating vegetable-tanned or aniline leather. The imperfections are corrected or sanded off, and an artificial grain impressed into the surface and dressed with stain or dyes. Most corrected-grain leather is used to make pigmented leather as the solid pigment helps hide the corrections or imperfections. Corrected grain leathers can mainly be bought as two finish types: semi-aniline and pigmented.
Split leather is leather created from the fibrous part of the hide left once the top-grain of the rawhide has been separated from the hide. During the splitting operation, the top-grain and drop split are separated. The drop split can be further split (thickness allowing) into a middle split and a flesh split. In very thick hides, the middle split can be separated into multiple layers until the thickness prevents further splitting. Split leather then has an artificial layer applied to the surface of the split and is embossed with a leather grain (bycast leather). Splits are also used to create suede. The strongest suedes are usually made from grain splits (that have the grain completely removed) or from the flesh split that has been shaved to the correct thickness. Suede is "fuzzy" on both sides. Manufacturers use a variety of techniques to make suede from full-grain. A reversed suede is a grained leather that has been designed into the leather article with the grain facing away from the visible surface. It is not considered to be a true form of suede.[3]
the leather in my S60R was top-grain, there was even a full grain option that was murder to maintain. the leather in a lexus is top grain. i can say with almost 100% certainty that dakota leather is corrected grain. you can feel and see the difference.
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 11-27-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 AM
woodswatchco woodswatchco is offline
Woodswatchco
Location: Tampa, FL.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 228
Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
After much debate, I did the full "Superman"! Estoril blue and red leather. It will be here the forst week of January. I can hear them cheering (or laughing) all the way from South Africa.






Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
A real must:

-Tech package (HUD FTW)
-Dynamic Handling package (the car becomes Jekyll and Hyde)
-Park Distance control (hard to see how close you are with just the back window)
-Xenons (for 328i, the Lighting package)

Nice to have:

-Leather (I've heard the leatherette is nice enough, but if you can get it, get it)
-M-Sport line (that steering wheel and front fascia are enough to make it a must have, but to each his/her own)
-Manual (the 8 speed ZF is amazing. But I just want to row my own gears!)
-Moonroof (never had it before, but use it all the time now)

If you're crazy:

-Estoril Blue exterior / Coral Red leather interior (Superman)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
is it me? or am I the only one that thinks "Blow Job" every time I see BJ's signature?
Its you. Get your mind out of the gutter.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 AM
martyl martyl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
My personal must-haves in an F30:
HID headlights - for which to see by
A fun, sporty drive - meaning Sport Line. (In particular to the F30, the Adaptive M Suspension enhances this since the shocks in SPORT mode are firmer than the passive Sport Line shocks, but Sport Line already crosses the "fun, sporty drive" threshold so the option is not a must-have.)
Sport Auto Transmission - yes, since an auto was a must-have (I have other vehicles for my manual shifting needs) it needed to be the sportiest possible auto. (The SAT rivals the dual-clutch transmissions I've driven.)

Everything else is just fluff, and dependent on budget.
Where can I find the specifics of the DHP that you mention here i.e. "the shocks in SPORT mode are firmer than the passive sport line shocks"? I've seen other comments explaning the DHP in details but I don't see anything on the BMW website. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
elistan elistan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Longmont, CO
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl View Post
Where can I find the specifics of the DHP that you mention here i.e. "the shocks in SPORT mode are firmer than the passive sport line shocks"? I've seen other comments explaning the DHP in details but I don't see anything on the BMW website. Thanks.
My statement about DHP doesn't come from BMW, rather it's from F30 owners who have DHP on their cars.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,803
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
is it me? or am I the only one that thinks "Blow Job" every time I see BJ's signature?
If you're cute that can be arranged, ma'am.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,297
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i believe dakota is corrected grain leather...
http://www.banux.de/leder/automobill...mw-dakota.html

lets be clear, its not just to increase its durability:
Full-grain leather refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains allowing the fiber strength and durability. The grain also has breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop a patina over time. High quality leather furniture and footwear are often made from full-grain leather. Full-grain leathers are typically available in two finish types: aniline and semi-aniline.
Top-grain leather (the most common type used in high-end leather products) is the second-highest quality. It has had the "split" layer separated away, making it thinner and more pliable than full-grain. Its surface has been sanded and a finish coat added to the surface which results in a colder, plastic feel with less breathability, and it will not develop a natural patina. It is typically less expensive and has greater resistance to stains than full-grain leather, so long as the finish remains unbroken.
Corrected-grain leather is any leather that has had an artificial grain applied to its surface. The hides used to create corrected leather do not meet the standards for use in creating vegetable-tanned or aniline leather. The imperfections are corrected or sanded off, and an artificial grain impressed into the surface and dressed with stain or dyes. Most corrected-grain leather is used to make pigmented leather as the solid pigment helps hide the corrections or imperfections. Corrected grain leathers can mainly be bought as two finish types: semi-aniline and pigmented.
the leather in my S60R was top-grain, there was even a full grain option that was murder to maintain. the leather in a lexus is top grain. i can say with almost 100% certainty that dakota leather is corrected grain. you can feel and see the difference.
Agreed. But, also to be clear, corrected grain leather falls into the category of top grain leather. Some information sources do not differentiate the two. "Corrected" refers to the leather having a grain pattern embossed onto it. It still falls into the category just below the highest "full grain" category.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Needs to be a sticky.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,024
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Well of course if you're trying to save $900, it's probably not the best upgrade. You mean "acute hearing that picks up on small variations in sound" like when someone's tone of voice is being angry, sad or sarcastic I personally thought the stock system was so inferior, I actually thought something was broken with it. Of course I'd rather live with the stock system than give up the car for a Camry with a $10K stereo, but the improvements BMW gives you for $900 would be impossible to replicate via aftermarket upgrades to the standard Hi-Fi stereo in the F30.
I can surpass the HK sound quality with $750 and the F30 HiFi.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,024
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
I think that no BMW should be without Sport seats/suspension, Xenon, rear view camera, PDC and the full iDrive -meaning Navigation/Enhanced/HUD.

Anything else is good to have.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM
dmiller68 dmiller68 is offline
Registered User
Location: Kirkland, WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
For Me
1. M-Sport
2. Tech package (need NAV, HUD and the iphone link)
3. Premium package (Sat Radio)
4. Xenons
5. Leather

I Would like to have had
5. Rear-camera/park sensors
__________________

2013 BMW 328xi M-Sport, Cold Weather, Lighting, Premium, Tech Packages, Paddle Shifters -- Estoril Blue
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I can surpass the HK sound quality with $750 and the F30 HiFi.
What can ya offer for $750 that improves upon the F30 HK? My wallet is ready

The F30 HK is about as good as EPS in my M3. Bass isn't as tight, and it still suffers from too much treble at 2k/5k/10k. Take each of those down about 3 clicks and you have something that doesn't make your ears bleed.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
What can ya offer for $750 that improves upon the F30 HK? My wallet is ready

The F30 HK is about as good as EPS in my M3. Bass isn't as tight, and it still suffers from too much treble at 2k/5k/10k. Take each of those down about 3 clicks and you have something that doesn't make your ears bleed.
Seriously? The EPS in my M3 I've found to be superior to the HK sound system in the 3. I've messed with the settings in every which way possible, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms