Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I would not describe comfort mode as "lincoln town car mode", more like "honda accord" mode.
So once my wife and I were in a Town Car Executive XL coming back from the airport (Carey Limo car service; they have those long-wheelbase versions with the extra room in back). For some odd reason, the driver decided he was going to drag everyone he met on the way home. He won way more often than he lost. My wife and I were laughing our heads off in the back seat. I don't know what his issue was, but it was kind of fun. That big ole thing had some whoop-ass under the hood!

But I do get your point.

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 04-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 6M
Quote:
The throttle can be mapped a number of ways, in response to how much travel in the pedal results to what percentage of WOT (wide open throttle) is being applied. They can also dial in how "quick" the throttle responds since it's a drive by wire system (uses electronic sensors instead of an actual cable connected to the throttle gate). In a sport mode it's going to be more responsive than when it is in comfort or eco mode. I would not describe comfort mode as "lincoln town car mode", more like "honda accord" mode.
None of these things spell comfort to me; it is misleading.
Maybe:
Sport+/Sport/Normal/Sedate
or
Sport+/Sport/Normal/SeniorCitizen
or
Sport+/Sport/Normal/Lobotomy

...definitely not Comfort
  • ED#2 9-1-11: '11 535i Jet Blk/Blk; 6M/Sport/Prem/ZDH/CWP/NAV/CA/fold-downs/PDC; Dropoff Paris, redelivery So Cal 10-21-11; back2BMW
  • ED#1 9-1-08: '08 535i Jet Blk/Blk; 6M/Sport/Prem/CWP/NAV/CA/fold-downs; RETIRED (just gave it back to BMW).
  • '02 330 CiC, 5M/ZSP/ZPP/heated seats/Bi-Xenons/2-tone leather, DE-BADGED; Lease buyout @28K (62% resid), SOLD ‘08 @ 36% MSRP after 7 years/60K miles. Great 1st BMW!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezl View Post
None of these things spell comfort to me
Maybe to your passengers?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Maybe to your passengers?
My wife and kids hated my E90 M-Sport.

The transmission was jerky and the suspension felt every imperfection and pothole on the road. Made them sick. Literally. Nauseous.

BMW doesn't just make up adjectives to describe their features. They spend lots of money and do lots of research. So sentences like "the ride is too harsh, it's uncomfortable" must have been uttered quite a bit. And sentences like "the interior is too plain, it's not luxurious" must have been stated frequently.

We now have a "Luxury" line and a "Comfort" mode. Not like it's by mistake. And forgetting semantics for a moment, I love the ride in the new F30 base suspension. My kids don't complain and its still 90% of what the E90 M-Sport ride was. Just missing all the pothole explosions and the unrequested coffee-stirring.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Here's a question. Does the 328i have less ground clearance with the 17" standard no-line wheels and standard suspension compared to the 18" line wheels with the same standard suspension?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
My wife and kids hated my E90 M-Sport.

The transmission was jerky and the suspension felt every imperfection and pothole on the road. Made them sick. Literally. Nauseous.

BMW doesn't just make up adjectives to describe their features. They spend lots of money and do lots of research. So sentences like "the ride is too harsh, it's uncomfortable" must have been uttered quite a bit. And sentences like "the interior is too plain, it's not luxurious" must have been stated frequently.

We now have a "Luxury" line and a "Comfort" mode. Not like it's by mistake. And forgetting semantics for a moment, I love the ride in the new F30 base suspension. My kids don't complain and its still 90% of what the E90 M-Sport ride was. Just missing all the pothole explosions and the unrequested coffee-stirring.

BJ
BJ,

Wasn't your M-Sport E90 X-Drive?

If it was you did not have the sport suspension which is even stiffer and was a source of misery and frustration to me until I got it sorted out.

Never had an issue with the transmission.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-01-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekenstein View Post
Here's a question. Does the 328i have less ground clearance with the 17" standard no-line wheels and standard suspension compared to the 18" line wheels with the same standard suspension?
One way to find out is to call for F30 owners to state the model and size of their tires and the suspension, if possible. We can then compare heights of that tire model. A less precise way is to just calculate usual tire heights for the size.

EDIT: I looked at tirerack.com and both sizes are either the same diameter or 0.1" less for the 17" tire. If it is 0.1" then the car is half that or 0.5" less. That is really almost zero difference.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 04-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Wheel and tire size has no effect on clearance - ride height should be identical, since the NOMINAL OVERALL DIAMETER is the same (within a few millimeters). Tirerack has a tire profile calculator IIRC, or you can Google for them. (note: this assumes that you choose OEM tire/wheel sizes - if you go total custom the overall diameter could change. For instance, my winter tire set on my E90 is 225/45R18 rather than 225/40R18, which changes the overall diameter.)

Ride height is dependent only upon the type of suspension (sport, adaptive, xDrive).

Last edited by floydarogers; 04-29-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: caveat
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM

I don't think you can really measure ground clearance. Would need a perfectly flat and level surface.

I guess what I'm really wondering is do they make some adjustment at the factory to compensate for a larger or smaller outside tire diameter?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Can someone please sum up the various suspension options?

People get completely hung up over a few mm of ground clearance or a 5mm difference in wheel gap like its a huge deal. Should be in a slammed civic instead of a BMW.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Can someone please sum up the various suspension options?

Quote:
None of these things spell comfort to me; it is misleading.
Maybe:
Sport+/Sport/Normal/Sedate
or
Sport+/Sport/Normal/SeniorCitizen
or
Sport+/Sport/Normal/Lobotomy

...definitely not Comfort
The problem with your statement is that comfort "is" more comfortable for general cruising. My hour long commute is far less taxing to me as a driver in comfort mode than sport. Tackling challenging mountain roads when I feel like a spirited drive is a different matter. ZDH gives me the ability to choose and is worth every penny.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 04-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
I guess what I'm really wondering is do they make some adjustment at the factory to compensate for a larger or smaller outside tire diameter?
No. Further to that question, BMW's "star" on a tire (OEM-rating) pretty much guarantees no significant difference between tire/wheel combinations of different sizes.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 AM

We are talking about ZDH not ZHP, in a sport line F30, is that what you meant? I am asking how non-ZDH steering and throttle responses can make your mountain ride so much more comfortable if the suspension stays the same?
  • ED#2 9-1-11: '11 535i Jet Blk/Blk; 6M/Sport/Prem/ZDH/CWP/NAV/CA/fold-downs/PDC; Dropoff Paris, redelivery So Cal 10-21-11; back2BMW
  • ED#1 9-1-08: '08 535i Jet Blk/Blk; 6M/Sport/Prem/CWP/NAV/CA/fold-downs; RETIRED (just gave it back to BMW).
  • '02 330 CiC, 5M/ZSP/ZPP/heated seats/Bi-Xenons/2-tone leather, DE-BADGED; Lease buyout @28K (62% resid), SOLD ‘08 @ 36% MSRP after 7 years/60K miles. Great 1st BMW!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
We are talking about ZDH not ZHP, in a sport line F30, is that what you meant? I am asking how non-ZDH steering and throttle responses can make your mountain ride so much more comfortable if the suspension stays the same?
Yes, I meant ZDH.

My car does have ZDH, it does have the adaptive suspension. This thread is about suspension options after all.

If you are asking how comfort vs sport can change the "feel" of the car without the suspension components being active, I guess you will have to try it for yourself to find out. Certainly having a less aggressive throttle and lighter steering will make the car more "comfortable" for casual driving.

In BJs case for example, even though he does not have ZDH, the throttle being less aggressive and the transmission holding gears longer will likely make the ride more tolerable for his passengers when the car is in comfort mode.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Here is my big question! Would any combination of suspension and setting in these new models (e.g. Sport model with x-drive, and ZDH, in sport mode) result in the "pothole explosions" that I have been experiencing in my '07 E91? I plan on getting an F31.

Last edited by Fredric; 04-29-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
Here is my big question! Would any combination of suspension and setting in these new models (e.g. Sport model with x-drive, and ZDH, in sport mode) bring back the "pothole explosions" that I have been experiencing in my '07 E91? I plan on getting an F31.
No, I get no "pothole" explosions in any mode with ZDH on my x-drive F30. Admittedly I don't drive over horrible pavement but it definitely has a more compliant ride than my sport A4 that was pretty stiff. The ride is quite comfortable even with the runflat tires that have such a bad rep.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3
As the lease on my 2010 E90 came up I test drove the new 328i, first one had the standard suspension and I found that although the ride was better than the harsh and noisy E90 it was also 'floaty' and did not have that BMW feel, also my E90 had the variable steering and I noticed the new 328i did not have it. The next car I drove was a 328i Sport with the ZDH option: right away I noticed in 'comfort' mode that it had the better ride but the 'floaty' feel was gone, and in 'sport' mode it had the stiffness of my E90 but still not the harshness. Steering with the ZDH in 'comfort' felt to easy but in 'sport' mode just like my E90.
So I ordered a Sport car with ZDH and will say it is a must-have option: now that I don't have the E90 'feel' to be used to, I actually like the 'comfort' mode for most driving but still like the option to stiffen the suspension and steering.
If you are having any concerns about the suspension you should get the ZDH option.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 AM

We have pretty bad roads here, potholes spring up after a heavy rain. My E90 felt like it was going to break an axle when hitting a pothole, I hit one the other day and it was much better.
If you have the ZDH each wheel has a camera in front of it reading the road surface and adjusting that wheel's stiffness constantly, so it softens it for the wheel about to hit a pothole. Again, if you have any concerns this is a must have option.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
Here is my big question! Would any combination of suspension and setting in these new models (e.g. Sport model with x-drive, and ZDH, in sport mode) result in the "pothole explosions" that I have been experiencing in my '07 E91? I plan on getting an F31.
Nope.

The only suspension to avoid for pothole explosiveness is the dealer-installed M Performance Suspension. All other suspensions have been tuned to be softer, new tires are contributing factor as well.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:

In BJs case for example, even though he does not have ZDH, the throttle being less aggressive and the transmission holding gears longer will likely make the ride more tolerable for his passengers when the car is in comfort mode.
Yes, that is correct.

Compared to the E90, the new Standard suspension addresses the "pothole and road imperfection" nausea my family felt and the new Driver Experience Comfort Mode addresses the "jack-rabbit jerking" dizziness my family felt.

Putting the Driver Experience Mode into Sport is a dream when I'm alone as the 4 blasts much faster/smoother than the old 6 ever did. My regret is not getting the DHP for the body roll, but it's only apparent 3x a month, I can't really complain.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacar View Post
If you have the ZDH each wheel has a camera in front of it reading the road surface and adjusting that wheel's stiffness constantly, so it softens it for the wheel about to hit a pothole.
The heck? No! No cameras! Are you saying this literally or using the camera as a metaphor for the car seeming to predict what's happening?

It's a non-visual system that reacts to sudden movements in the suspension and corrects very quickly, faster than you can tell. It's not "getting ready" as would be expected with a camera.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Metaphor, should have said sensor.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
People get completely hung up over a few mm of ground clearance or a 5mm difference in wheel gap like its a huge deal. Should be in a slammed civic instead of a BMW.

Well excuuuse me! I was just curious.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I meant ZDH.

My car does have ZDH, it does have the adaptive suspension. This thread is about suspension options after all.

If you are asking how comfort vs sport can change the "feel" of the car without the suspension components being active, I guess you will have to try it for yourself to find out. Certainly having a less aggressive throttle and lighter steering will make the car more "comfortable" for casual driving.

OK, I get it, comfort mode with a non-zdh car (even with sport line) does not affect suspension. That to me is misleading no matter how much the throttle response soothes his pax.

After reading this, I may just get the ZDH on top of the sport line; seems like the cost should be less with that line than for the other lines since it includes 704 sport stuff, but oh well...
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Well, sport line x-drive cars don't come with sport suspension and the line costs just as much as it does on RWD, so there's pain to go around.