Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svc View Post
Thank you Richard and Corey for looking out for me! I emailed Greg Poland and got a response back. I will most likely get his offer tomorrow. Couple of questions about ordering from an out of state dealer.

Will I ever need to show up in person at the dealership and can I use my credit card to pay the upfront charges without actually showing up at the dealership?

Also, I remember reading somewhere on the forums that BMW makes my second lease payment on ED. Is this true no matter where I buy from because the local CA doesn't know (or at least he says he doesn't) about this.

Again, thank you everyone who posted in my thread - you guys are the nicest bunch I ever encountered on an Internet forum!
You never have to set foot in the dealership where you buy the car. If you do re-delivery via Performance Center Delivery it is no issue at all. So, you would do ED and PCD. If you do not do PCD then BMW re-delivers your car when it arrives from Germany to the dealership from which you purchased it. In order to avoid having to go there to pick it up you would have to arrange with them to have it re-shipped from their location directly to you. This is one reason it might be a better choice for you to use a forum sponsor near you.

You can use your credit card. Most dealers set a limit around $2,000 - $5,000 that they are willing to put on a credit card.

BMWFS makes your second lease payment no matter what dealer sells you the car. Your local CA's lack of knowledge of this indicates he is not well versed in ED, which is not unusual. Few CAs are.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
update

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius7 View Post
My dealer offered 535i $500 over invoice minus loyalty and Holiday cash incentives but wants to charge $699 dealer service fee. What's up with that? Is that common on orders?
so to update:
1. this guy (mentioned above) sent me a detailed quote with $3,600 over invoice lol

2. second dealer told me you can Not get holiday cash back and loyalty incentives due to car is not going to be built and delivered before incentives expire on January 2, 2013

3. A dealer 70 miles from me offered $700 over invoice and said I'm entitled to incentives because they will lock in my rate and price and it does not matter when car arrives
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
so to update:
1. this guy (mentioned above) sent me a detailed quote with $3,600 over invoice lol

2. second dealer told me you can Not get holiday cash back and loyalty incentives due to car is not going to be built and delivered before incentives expire on January 2, 2013

3. A dealer 70 miles from me offered $700 over invoice and said I'm entitled to incentives because they will lock in my rate and price and it does not matter when car arrives
It does matter when the car arrives. You can only lock in for 60 days. That should be enough time, but to say the arrival time does not matter is an overstatement.

Glad to hear you got a good offer.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It does matter when the car arrives. You can only lock in for 60 days. That should be enough time, but to say the arrival time does not matter is an overstatement.

Glad to hear you got a good offer.
Thanks for heads up. So much conflicting information.

Any idea of average time from order to pick up day for the East coast?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535 Xdrive Msport
Quote:

about 6 to 8 weeks from when production starts to delivery. Unless there are unexpected delays.

But it generally that time frame.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean86 View Post
about 6 to 8 weeks from when production starts to delivery. Unless there are unexpected delays.

But it generally that time frame.
There is a Christmas/New Year holiday shutdown that could be a factor.

A significant item - the rate/incentive lock applies from the day you are approved by BMWFS. So, order the car now, but wait until just before the end of December to apply for the financing. That will give you close to 90 days from the time the order is placed.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
There is a Christmas/New Year holiday shutdown that could be a factor.

A significant item - the rate/incentive lock applies from the day you are approved by BMWFS. So, order the car now, but wait until just before the end of December to apply for the financing. That will give you close to 90 days from the time the order is placed.
Fantastic info! Thank you so much!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328i conv
If you are in Florida, try Curtis at Coggin BMW in Ft. Pierce. Gave me a very fair deal on ED that I'm picking up next week. Not as experienced with ED as board sponsors, but was pretty local to me and a pleasure to deal with - no surprises.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:

A significant item - the rate/incentive lock applies from the day you are approved by BMWFS.
Incorrect. You have the time frame from the end of the program, not the date approved. So ic you get approved say 12/15 you have until the end of February to take delivery.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=37
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Questions on ordering a 2013 5 Series

Greg Poland is an excellent choice, as are Jon Shafer (Santa Barbara), Adrian Avila (Atlanta), and Irv Robinson (Chicago area).

All of the above will be able to answer each of your questions, as they have dealt with these issues countless times.

Fear not! Courage!

Seriously...you will be in good hands when you deal with one of the above gentlemen.

Richard
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 2010
I just got a great lease deal for Active 5Hybrid w/ ED
$488/month 36/12K
I was planning to go w/ the 535i + Mpkg but was able to save $50/month. There are not enough reviews about this car in the forums. Feedback is greatly appreciated on which car to choose. Thanks!
I'm also waiting to hear back on the 740i since the incentives are pretty good this month
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport MT
Still waiting to hear back from Greg Poland...

At this point I can't decide between the manual and SAT. I drove a manual F10 535i (non M-sport) the other day and the clutch and shifting feel didn't suit my tastes but I think I'll get used to it. My question is does the car make same adjustments to the transmission in sport and sport+ modes (getting M-sport package and Dynamic Damping Control) for both manual and SAT rides or does SAT have an edge over manual in this case?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Still waiting to hear back from Greg Poland...

At this point I can't decide between the manual and SAT. I drove a manual F10 535i (non M-sport) the other day and the clutch and shifting feel didn't suit my tastes but I think I'll get used to it. My question is does the car make same adjustments to the transmission in sport and sport+ modes (getting M-sport package and Dynamic Damping Control) for both manual and SAT rides or does SAT have an edge over manual in this case?

Thanks!
The Sport/Sport+ modes only change shifting points when it comes to SAT transmissions. Ofcourse, in a manual - the driver determines the shifts points. So to answer your question no.

In a manual, the Sport/Sport+ button changes throttle response, traction control.
If you have the DDC, it will also adjust the suspension.
If you have the SAT, it will also adjust your shift points.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM

^ Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Now time to make another decision... after reading through the forums, and all the other users educating me on the pricing, I figured out that I can actually fit the 550i in my budget!!!!!!!

But (there's always a but isn't there?)... I can do so only by skipping the executive package which adds premium audio, comfort access keyless, heads-up display, soft close doors, 1 yr radio, and some more stuff that I don't give a damn about. BMW Apps can be had for $250 as a standalone option which also includes smartphone integration. I only care about the audio upgrade, and keyless entry and BMW wants to charge $4,500 for the ~ $1,500 worth of comforts that I really need. It's just atrocious on BMW's part ( It feels good to get that off of my chest! Hope someone at BMW is reading this. Not everyone buying a 550i can afford this package.

Now, I read on the forums that the premium audio is A LOT better than the standard system. Thoughts people? I'm not a music buff but always had upgraded audio systems in my previous cars. Would I be able to live without the regret of not getting the upgrade?

And I think the comfort access keyless entry and its variations by other manufacturers is one of the best automotive innovations in the last few years when it comes to creature comforts. It's something I'd absolutely love to have but most probably can live without! Can someone please provide a list of cool functions other than the obvious ones that I'll loose without keyless entry? Without keyless entry, do I need to insert the key to start the car, or can I still start it with the key in my pocket?

Finally, is there any obscure way that's not well advertised that allows me to order just the two features I want? Doesn't hurt to be optimistic right?

Thanks!

Last edited by svc; 11-30-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Keyless entry is for entry only. All cars have keyless start. Having said that, comfort access is a must. Especially for the kick to open the trunk feature.

HUD is totally worth it since the dashboard is the upgraded extended black panel. Much much nicer.

The sAT is the way to go in this car. Very fast shifts, better mileage than the manual. Also, with the manual you lose a cup holder and have a much worse looking center console. Plus resale sucks.

Premium audio is much better. I am no audiophile either.

Get the 535. It's enough for most situations,

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM

SVC - I went through the exact same thing. I drove my CA crazy... Lol

In the end I knew I would not be happy without the comforts and technology that helps makes a BMW such an "experience" rather than just a car and went for the 535. I have had 400 HP, so knew I would be ok with the dip I power.

One other thing - during this budget calculation a friend of mine made a great point. While its varying degrees... The 550 will cost you more. More gas, more for insurance, more in speeding tickets, ;-) Make sure you keep that in mind.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
^ I can do so only by skipping the executive package which adds premium audio, comfort access keyless, heads-up display, soft close doors, 1 yr radio, and some more stuff that I don't give a damn about. BMW Apps can be had for $250 as a standalone option which also includes smartphone integration. I only care about the audio upgrade, and keyless entry and BMW wants to charge $4,500 for the ~ $1,500 worth of comforts that I really need. It's just atrocious on BMW's part
What are you including in the $1,500 features you want? Right before that you said "more stuff that I don't give a damn about" but you pretty much listed the features of the package (other than ceramic controls).

If I remember right, keyless entry and premium audio, which you could order separately in 2012, together were more than $1,500.

It is a good package of features. I think it is a good value. If it were me and I could not afford the 550 with the executive package, I would order a 535 with comparable packages.

I tried adding 4-zone climate control to my build this week and was mostly unsuccessful (right now my SA is trying to jump up levels over people to find someone to override all the "no's" he's already reviewed).

Generally, they will do leather and wood trim special requests, and sometimes things like shadow line trim, but not one off feature requests.

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Keyless entry is for entry only. All cars have keyless start. Having said that, comfort access is a must. Especially for the kick to open the trunk feature.

HUD is totally worth it since the dashboard is the upgraded extended black panel. Much much nicer.

The sAT is the way to go in this car. Very fast shifts, better mileage than the manual. Also, with the manual you lose a cup holder and have a much worse looking center console. Plus resale sucks.

Premium audio is much better. I am no audiophile either.

Get the 535. It's enough for most situations,
I open my trunk once in every two or three months. So I couldn't care less for that specific feature. You said all cars have keyless start - so if I don't get the executive package, can I still start the car without inserting the key?

Can someone please confirm?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
What are you including in the $1,500 features you want? Right before that you said "more stuff that I don't give a damn about" but you pretty much listed the features of the package (other than ceramic controls).
I meant I only needed hi-fi audio and comfort access. I might have undervalued this combo - it will probably cost close to $2,000?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM
cor door sedan

Also, I will add that the 535 has sufficient power to be very fun. I have an E60 535 right now that I took up a canyon road a few hours ago before coming home for work. I'm trying to get as much time in it as possible before the 550 arrives.

I was smiling big. A 535 is super fun to drive. Plenty of power to push your back into the seat. I will really miss the car. I have loved it.

But what is nice about a BMW is that you can also enjoy those features in the executive package too. I am bumping up to the 550 because I can afford it now. I bought my 535 back when a 535 is what I could afford. In both cases though, I wanted those nice executive features.

My feeling is that a 535 with executive would be much more enjoyable than a 550 without. The 535 is a great car!

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ah5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post

I tried adding 4-zone climate control to my build this week and was mostly unsuccessful (right now my SA is trying to jump up levels over people to find someone to override all the "no's" he's already reviewed).

-Corey
FYI: you can order it on a hybrid which is just slightly more expensive than 535.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildvlad View Post
FYI: you can order it on a hybrid which is just slightly more expensive than 535.
This was part of my case as to why they should technically be able to add it to the 550 as a one off. This, and also that it was offered on the 550 in 2011-2012, is currently offered on the M5, and is currently offered on the 5 in Canada.

I can't think of a technical reason why they can't give me the option, especially since it is a separate code on the order form.

So far they aren't. Their reason is basically "just because" and "it was discontinued on the 5." Well, I know it was discontinued, that's why it is a "special request" for crying out loud.

I wish I wanted a hybrid :-). I really wanted this feature but it wasn't enough to keep me from buying.

-Corey

Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I open my trunk once in every two or three months. So I couldn't care less for that specific feature. You said all cars have keyless start - so if I don't get the executive package, can I still start the car without inserting the key?

Can someone please confirm?
Yes, that is what I mean.

Every 5 series, from base 528 to M5 has, as standard, push button start, whereas you can keep your key in the pocket.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Here's a quick update guys... got an offer from Greg Poland and waiting on Adrian Avila's offer. I'm very happy with Greg's offer but I would prefer to work with someone close to me. (CA vs GA. I'm in FL)

Base Price $53,100.00*
*ZMT *Manual Transmission 0.00*
*ZPP *Premium Package 1,500.00*
*ZMP *M Sport Package 2,900.00*
*ZTP *Technology Package 2,800.00*
*223 *Dynamic Damper Control 1,000.00*
*456 *Multi-Contour Seats 1,300.00*
*494 *Heated Front Seats 500.00*
*677 *Premium Hi-Fi System 875.00*
* *Nappa Leather Upholstery 1,000.00*
* *Destination and Handling 895.00*

*TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $65,870.00*
*SELLING PRICE * $57,935.00*

*Lease Terms
*Lender BMW Financial Services*
*Term 36*Months*
*Mileage 12,000/year*
*Money Factor 1.55*
*Residual Factor 59% *
*Selling Price $57,935.00*

*Total Capitalized Cost
$57,935.00*
*Residual Value $38,863.30*
*Total Depreciation $17,071.70*
*Capital Reduction $2,000.00*
*Monthly Depreciation $474.21*
*Monthly Rent $146.94*

*Monthly Payment $621.15*
*Tax (6%) $37.27*

*Monthly Payment + Tax $658.42*
*Capital Reduction $2,000.00*
*Cap Reduction Tax (6%) $168.30*
*License & Registration $511.00*
*Bank Fee $725.00*
*Documentation Fee $80.00*
*First Payment $658.42*
*Security Deposit $0.00*

*Drive Off $4,142.72*
*Trade Equity $0.00*
*Rebate $2,000.00*

*Due at Signing $2,142.72*

What do you guys think? Can I do better?

So I read somewhere that when the car is Europe it will have two plates until it ships to the US. So does this mean the front bumper will have holes from the plate after I take delivery of the car here?

And if I put ACS springs on a lease, will it void the warranty? Might be a stupid question but I just want to know for sure.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: Everglades 243
Did you see the new WEST COAST lease deal on the 535??

24 month lease enhancement for 528i/535i

528i 24 month lease
15K miles per year @ 69%
+2% for 12K
+3% for 10K

535i 24 month lease
15k miles per year @ 71%
+2% for 12K
+3% for 10K

HC/Loyalty all apply

Super Hot lease deal!!!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=661763

Last edited by Travel4Surf; 12-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.