Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Advice seriously needed for my 2011 X5

Hey everyone, I bought a 1-owner 2011 X5 3.5i Prem with 17K miles earlier this year and itís in showroom condition. Itís been in the shop for the past month-and-a-half undergoing warranty repairs, my warranty is good until 9/14. Theyíve replaced pretty much everything mechanically (suspension, supports, struts, axle, shocks, wheel hubs, drive shaft assembly) I mean the list is 6 pages long. To date, theyíve spent approx $18K in parts/labor. My service advisor has been great with follow/communication/next steps.

Itís getting to the point where Iím wondering what happens next? I called BMW cust svc to let them know whatís happening and theyíre apparently talking with the dealership.

Has anyone experienced this? How much does a dealer/mfgr spend until enough is enough? Is it case-by-case or ratio-based?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
So, what were the problems/symptoms?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
I would say that you have a lemon case and could possibly work a buy back. Ard would know about this. I'm sure he will chime in here.

Sent from atop a stormy mountain
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
OP, you are in Washington State? Prolly SOL on hte lemon claim as WA limits it to 2 years or 24k miles. Any chance that the car was out of service for a large number of days prior to 2 years?

At least the deal is working on it and is passing the costs to BMWNA. A problem that is causing them to replace all that running gear seems very, very odd actually... more details on what is wrong might be helpful
Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM

@serge1 - the problem was light popping/clunking coming from the FL wheel area. When I'd drive about 15-20mph over rough surface, I could hear it clearly. The dealer confirmed and began replacing parts one-by-one. Never been in an accident, curbed or anything funky like that.

@ard - thanks for the feedback. I'm in Seattle. The service history was extremely routine and was never out of service prior to me owning it. Here's what they've replaced:

spring strut, front
hex screen with collar
support bearing
self-locking collar
hex nut with flange
right/left front swing support
drive shaft assy
torx screw with ribs
wishbone upper-left
self-locking collar nut
left tension strue
wishbone
combo nut
wheel hub with bearing
collar screw
exch output shaft
assembly ring
exchange hydro steering
guide supports
shock absorbers
ducts
articulated disk
blind rivet
body equipt for engine compartment (top and bottom) and bay
this week they're replacing an engine mount.

and then there's a ton of diag work over this period of time too. Way too much...way too much
Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
OP,
have you had the car checked by an independent to see if the issue you are having may have been caused by an accident not reported ?

If you are keeping the car past the warranty, you may want to invest in an extended warranty covering the suspension / chassis / frame....
Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Nothing like that ever and no accidents, that is what I first thought.

As for the ext warr, yes I plan on keeping the car and was going to purch the plat through BMW.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E70 3.5i
had the same clunking in the front passenger side...it was a loose bolt on the sway bar....they tightened with locktite and noise was gone. Ironically its now back at the dealer for the same clunking on the front drivers side.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
18K spent by dealership to chase the knocking sound. All this because of "throw parts at it" behavior. Finally, BMWNA is being on the wrong end of it, not a customer.

You would think for $18K there would be a way to diagnose where noise is coming from. Put it on a dyno, shake the car, put a sound sensor, anything! Just need to think outside the box, that's all.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by someyoungman View Post
@serge1 - the problem was light popping/clunking coming from the FL wheel area. When I'd drive about 15-20mph over rough surface, I could hear it clearly. T
The 'metal popping' sound was previously implicated in noises reported from tailgate/ABC pillars due to incomplete of popped welds. Could be an issue with your body or suspension tower..... they are ASSUMING that it must be a removable part that is causing this, what if it is part of the body itself?