Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
ET801 ODBII scanner report

I bought one of those Chinese cheapo scanners from eBay. The ET801 had no reviews from real users (so many fake ones), so I decided to post a report.

I had a problem with my parking brake actuator breaking a plastic gear. I got the fixit kit from Odometer Gears and rebuilt the actuator, but I still had a yellow error code.

I got the $72 ET801 scanner code reader from eBay. The instructions booklet that came with it were a little weak. Very high level. I still have no idea what the scanner can do. You have to play with it to figure out what features are available. I still have no idea if it can clear an airbag code or reset the battery charging rate after a new battery is installed. I do know that it cleared my parking brake error code. For that alone, it was worth it.

With the engine and the ignition off (thats important), I plugged in the unit into the ODBii connection. I then inserted the key to turn on the ignition and then started the engine. The scanner came to life. There weren't many options so it was easy to navigate. I think that I selected Diagnostic, 7-series, E65-E66, Chassis, Parking Brake, Clear Error code, OK. It said that the code was cleared, but nothing happened to the yellow error code on my dash. Wtf! Then I remembered that instructions stated that the code may appear just one more time. Ok. I turned off the car, unplugged the ET801 from the ODBii port, shut the car off, pulled the keys out and opened the door. Everything was off. I then inserted the key and started the car. Success! No more yellow error light. The yellow car figure was also gone from the other screen. Good. I tried using the parking brake and it was working. Great! It was money well spent.

As i didn't want to monkey around with any of the other options (for fear of messing something up), I would be interested in finding out if anyone else has used this tool and what they did with it.

Last edited by bobbrum; 11-26-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Moding is Addictive

Mein Auto: DCT 335is powered by PTF
I just ordered one from eBay myself. I didnt want to buy domestically sold BMW specific scan tools cause in essence they all come from China and renamed with a huge mark up.

I bought it for 85.00 + shiping, so what the hell since its BMW specific I might as well give it a shot

Half engine light comes on when WOT starting at 3rd gear.
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 645 CI Conv
Follow up

How the scanner work out for you? Would you recommend it? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
I see that no one has posted a review of it yet so I'll start. It's a typically Chinese piece of junk that claims to do so much, but, fails to deliver. I had problems with reading fault codes from many of the modules. Some gave me incorrect fault codes that I know aren't there because I have INPA and I know it works. I installed the latest update that was available at the time and then I could not even access one of the modules via the touch screen. Like they forgot to put the link in so I installed an earlier version which did allow my to select the module, but, the fault codes were wrong so it's really no improvement. For some of the modules it does seem to work alright, but, for others it's just hopelessly broken. For what I bought it for it's useless completely useless. Maybe they will fix it in one of their updates, but, I don't have much hope. I've had this thing for a couple years now and tried three different versions without much improvement.