Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:30 AM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
StonGard front end and light protection

This came up on the "Service Intervals" thread. Thought I'd make it a new topic in case anyone else was interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Mark,
I did want to ask about your StonGard application. I can't even tell that its on there from your pictures, even blown up. A few questions:
1. Cost to get these installed?
2. Did they trim it against your paint?
3. Did you look at the other products/brands?
4. How long do they last?
1. $450 to $500 per car, full kit, headlight kit, fog light kit, installed.

2. Comes pre-cut. No cutting done on the car.

3. I'd consider Xpel brand as well, but StonGard supports the local Puget Sound BMWCCA. They advertise in our local CCA magazine, so I never thought to go anywhere else.

4. Warranty is pretty good. Lifetime no-yellowing, four years for chip repair if damage comes through product, four years of light replacement* if damage comes through product. (*This coverage is free if you buy both the StonGard and StonGard light, otherwise it's a $15 additional charge, I think.)

We have had it on the E38 two and a half years, on the E39 about one year. No yellowing. One peeling issue, and that piece was promptly replaced, no charge. It is hard to see the line unless you get wax in it, or if you look from the right angle and distance. You can see here on the E38 how it goes from an "orange peel-like" reflection close to the leading edge, to a clear reflection about 5-7" back.

E39 line almost invisible.

E39 in just the right light and angle.

$450 to $500 may seem high, but here are all the pieces I got, installed.

Door handle cups, door edges, rear view mirrors, leading edge of hood, bumper, (over front fenders on the E38)... and the StonGard light package covering headlights, fog lights, (and corner lights on the E38). Considering the cost of replacement headlights or even fog lights, I thought this was a fair price. You can buy the kits and install them yourself. The few people who have done so said they would pay to have someone do it for them if they had to do it all over.

Links:
www.StonGard.com

StonGard warranty

www.Xpel.com

E39 pictures

E38 pictures, link on three BMW pic below in signaure.

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Last edited by M.Wong; 07-14-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 530i
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Will check out re-sellers and installers here in the bay area.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
I have the exact same product on my 540 as M.Wong, installed at the same location. I had the two door cups peel up slightly, but were replaced promptly, without question.

On the issue of yellowing...the stuff will yellow slightly with age. I have this installed now for almost one year on a titanium silver color, and it is showing a ever so slight yellowing tinge. In speaking with friends who also have Stongard on lighter color cars, they too have noticed this yellowing. Not a huge deal, and I would STILL strongly advise getting this product if you wish to keep you car from getting all those chips in the front of the car.

On any of the darker colors or reds, the yellowing will not be detectible.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:52 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

A friend of mine had some StonGard peeling issues on his Subaru WRX, but I think his was the first year of it and I suspect it was a curvy piece. They replaced it a few times until it was just right. A bit of a hassle, but they seem to stand by their product.

I will have to look around for a Titanium Silver to see the yellowing. So far, nothing like that visible on Sterling Gray.

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

Old 07-15-2004, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Wong
A friend of mine had some StonGard peeling issues on his Subaru WRX, but I think his was the first year of it and I suspect it was a curvy piece. They replaced it a few times until it was just right. A bit of a hassle, but they seem to stand by their product.

I will have to look around for a Titanium Silver to see the yellowing. So far, nothing like that visible on Sterling Gray.
For once, a nice reason to have a darker colored car!...usually everyone worries about "showing the dirt" or "all those swirl marks"...bahhhh! "Get what you like", I say!
Old 07-19-2004, 12:58 AM

Mein Auto: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Thanks for the info. Will check out re-sellers and installers here in the bay area.
Whatever you do, don't purchase Stongard - it is a terrible fitting product.

They have an authorized dealer in Fremont called Clear Solutions whom I would definitely not recommend. They did a very bad install on my car. Looks like a child installed it....

Go Xpel or Clear Armour instead.............. you will be much happier
Old 07-19-2004, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon nugsy

They have an authorized dealer in Fremont called Clear Solutions whom I would definitely not recommend. They did a very bad install on my car. Looks like a child installed it....

I would have to completely disagree with you. The final result is a function of BOTH the product and the installer. In MWong's and my instance we had a good result...so obviously on the 5 series there is no problem with the fit, since these films are cut off the same "master" patterns. I would say that the StonGard installer sucks in Fremont. Generally these installations are guaranteed...did you go back? Did you contact StonGard and let them know of your dissatisfaction? They should have an interest in having this resolved for you.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
MMM:

I got my 03 530 done at Clear Solutions in Fremont. He's the only guy in the East Bay that does StonGard. I would not recommend anything else. My neighbor had his done on his 03 Lexus GS430 by some place that Lexus of Pleasanton recommended and they did a terrible job. It also wasn't StonGuard; it was some other off brand. The pieces didn't fit right.

StonGard's stuff is awesome! I'm in Pleasanton also; so PM me if you're interested in looking at mine.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon nugsy

Huh? Did you ever talk to the guy after the install? My install was great; in fact, he was pretty anal about getting everything right.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport
I have the exact same product on my 540 as M.Wong, installed at the same location. I had the two door cups peel up slightly, but were replaced promptly, without question.

On the issue of yellowing...the stuff will yellow slightly with age. I have this installed now for almost one year on a titanium silver color, and it is showing a ever so slight yellowing tinge. In speaking with friends who also have Stongard on lighter color cars, they too have noticed this yellowing. Not a huge deal, and I would STILL strongly advise getting this product if you wish to keep you car from getting all those chips in the front of the car.

On any of the darker colors or reds, the yellowing will not be detectible.
No yellowing on my 03 530 Titanium Silver with StonGard...installed for a year also...

Post a pic...
Old 07-19-2004, 03:27 AM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
we offer some of the best pricing on Xpel around.
Give us a shout. info@umnitza.com
Old 07-20-2004, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: 04 530i
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4bmw
MMM:

I got my 03 530 done at Clear Solutions in Fremont. He's the only guy in the East Bay that does StonGard. I would not recommend anything else. My neighbor had his done on his 03 Lexus GS430 by some place that Lexus of Pleasanton recommended and they did a terrible job. It also wasn't StonGuard; it was some other off brand. The pieces didn't fit right.

StonGard's stuff is awesome! I'm in Pleasanton also; so PM me if you're interested in looking at mine.
Thanks for the offer to check out the car. I am still mulling it over, its more of the "why am I saving the car for the next owner" type thing. Or kinda like how some other people leave the plastic on their furniture (no offense). So it's between that and the how many gad-darn stone chips can I put up with...

decisions, decisions...
Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
"why am I saving the car for the next owner" type thing.
Yeah, I am one of those people who keep my cars a long time. E30 was 17 years old with 195K miles when I passed it on. But if you don't plan to keep your too long, it might not be worth while. Next owner can always re-paint the hood, I guess.

Never understood plastic on furniture either...

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

Old 07-21-2004, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4bmw
No yellowing on my 03 530 Titanium Silver with StonGard...installed for a year also...

Post a pic...
I'll try when I return home...I am on the road travelling right now. I don't believe the coloration will show up well at all on a digital camera...it is subtle. I will show MWong at our next meeting though...