Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Lights not turning off

I recently lost my 2002 530i to hurricane sandy due to a tree.
I just purchased a 2008 X5 3.0si. Today I got out of the car and my wife (in the passanger's seat) stayed in the car talking on the phone. I left the car running with the key in it, when she finished talking she turned off the car and got out on the passenger's side. I went outside about 45 minutes later and the outside lights were still on. As soon as I opened the drivers side door the light went out. I easily duplicated the issue a couple of times and the lights will stay on.

I checked to make sure the passenger's door switch is working and it's fine. I called the dealer and they told me they've never heard of any of the cars doing this.

Is their a setting somewhere that will turn off the lights if either door is opened after the car is turned off?

Can someone check their X5 (E70) and let me know if their car does the same thing?

Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Did you arm it once or twice??? If you double click it, it will leave the outside lights on, but mine turn off in a few minutes if I am not wrong. I can validate tonight an update you.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 PM

The car was not armed at all, my wife just turned off the engine, pulled out the key fob and got out.

I contacted the dealer this morning and they told me this is a "normal" operation. The lights will stay on until the "drivers" door is opened after the engin is turned off. Then they said that the car will shut off all the electric after 20 minutes to protect itself. Not exactly the answer I wanted to hear. I understand this is a unique occurance but i would expect the lights to time out. My concern is that my daughter has been know to stay in the car to finish listening to a song on the radio then bringing in the keys.

Again the sequence is as follows:

Done at night with the light switch on Auto
1. With the car running, the driver gets out and closes the door.
2. The passenger turns off the car and removes the key.
3. The passenger gets out and closes the door.
4. The lights stay on

Thanks for checking out yours to see if it does the same thing.

Cold Weather, Premium, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Sport Package, Technology Package, Multi-contour Seats, Satellite, Nav, 6 disc DVD
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmas1 View Post
Again the sequence is as follows:

Done at night with the light switch on Auto
1. With the car running, the driver gets out and closes the door.
2. The passenger turns off the car and removes the key.
3. The passenger gets out and closes the door.
4. The lights stay on

Thanks for checking out yours to see if it does the same thing.
You are correct if you don't alarm the vehicle the lights will stay on... After 15 minutes though, as described by your dealer all my electrical shutdown.

The only thing i can't fully test is the key, I have Keyless Go.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks for checking into it for me. I don't like the way it's programmed but if that's the way they are then I guess there isn't too much I can do about it.

Cold Weather, Premium, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Sport Package, Technology Package, Multi-contour Seats, Satellite, Nav, 6 disc DVD
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Thanks for checking into it for me. I don't like the way it's programmed but if that's the way they are then I guess there isn't too much I can do about it.
I agree, that's an odd programming choice.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Registered Lunatic

Mein Auto: E39 535i
It's not unusual... my '97 Calais used to do exactly the same thing.
I think the auto off is only wired to the driver's door because they don't expect anyone to be shutting the vehicle down from the passenger side.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bimmer App
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
. My concern is that my daughter has been know to stay in the car to finish listening to a song on the radio then bringing in the keys.

Given the problems that crop up with X5s, electrical use qand battery charging/failure, I am fastidious about making sure the car is OFF and lights are OFF before I leave it.

This behaviour of letting the battery support the car to losten to songs, etc, MAY shorten the battery life.... Anecdotally, we often read "I was just in my car, doors open, listening to tunes while cleaning/detailing. whatever, and it wouldnt start. Now I cant jump it. What should I do"

Just saying....

A