Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Imola 4.6

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6
Total electric outage

This morning i was unable to open my doors with the remote nor open my trunk with the key....i opened the door with the key and nothing would turn on, no welcome lights, radio, engine, nothing!! ....while i was waiting for my jump i figured id go back in the car since it was raining and guess wut? it freaking started right up like nothing ever happened...i had to reset the clock and stuff...20 mins later while on the highway it just literally stalled on me with all the warning lights flashing and it kept doing it for about 30 mins or so...as i got out of it tonight all the power shut off again without me being able to close the car with the remote so i had to close it with the key....Wuts going on?

SPARK NOTES
1. no electrical power to the car
2. 20 mins later it starts like nothing happened
3. stalled on me on the highway a couple times
4. parked it tonight and once again lost all electrical power '

SES LIGHT P1434 Code had came on 2 weeks prior to this.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. "What" not "wut". It isnt cool, IMO

2. Did you ever buy that Peake (BMW specific) code reader, to allow you to decode the BMW codes?

3. How old is the battery???? If 4 years or more, just replace it....bad/failing battery will cause strange behavior
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
I was going to say battery until you said it stalled on the highway. I'd now bet it's the alternator. If you have a battery tender, charge the battery up overnight. Check the voltage with a voltmeter the next morning. I would expect to see 12.5 to 12.7 volts. Then start the car and measure the voltage at the jumper posts while running. Keep the voltmeter leads away from the fan. The alternator should be able to run the voltage up to around 14.3 volts. If not I'd first have a shop run a load test on the battery. If the battery shows good, check the alternator.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport