Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Gas pedal, right foot, and the transmission tunnel

Just recently I ordered an X1, and while I've been waiting for it to arrive, I've been driving the dealers' loaner car which is a new 3 series. While I've been driving around in this 3 series, I've been bothered something that I noticed when test driving the X1, but has really become more problematic in day to day driving. I feel as if both pedals, but particularly the gas pedal, is located too far to the left for comfortable driving.

I assume that BMW did this because the transmission tunnel takes up so much room. The gas pedal is located only just a few inches to the right of the steering column centerline, whereas my right foot is definitely more than a few inches to the right of my centerline. This means that I have to work to keep my right leg pulled to the left constantly, which makes my right knee and right hip sore after a while. It helps somewhat to push the drivers seat all the way back and to extend the seat bottom bolster forward so that it supports my leg more, but it still feels awkward. Another approach is bend my knee, let my leg rest on the transmission tunnel which pulls your ankle out to the left and tips your toes to the right onto the pedal (in other words, not try to keep my foot straight up and down over the gas pedal). This feels awkward too.

To make matters worse, the brake pedal is to the left of the steering column, which makes braking feel weird as you have to cross your right leg over to the left side of the footwell to brake. This can feel so strange at times that I've started to experiment with left foot braking.

It looks as if the X1 and the 3 series are vey similar in pedal layout, so I'm worried about long-term comfort with this car that I've just ordered. Does anyone have any comments on this issue? Anyone else wish the gas pedal was further to the right for a more natural driving position?

Last edited by one09jason; 11-27-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
While I never looked at the pedals in the X1 I have put a few hundred miles on it and the pedal position never struck me as odd. I dont drive it every day though, I drive a C6 vette and newer Dodge 1500 pickup and getting into the X1 never felt weird in the pedal department. I'm 6'4, 230lbs and have driven if for several hours om trips through the mountains and I'm comfortable driving it.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
I don't think the pedal placement is odd either. If anything it's an improvement over the first generation X3. The pedals were really close on that model. If I wore boots my foot would sometimes hit both when I stepped on the accelerator. I think they are placed fine on the X1.