Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 3
Best 328xi for under 48.5K MSRP?

I've read a lot of posts about "Is this option good" or "what do you think of x" as people try to figure out what they should be getting. So as I try to budget out what I want it doesn't make it any easier because whatever the option is somebody can't live without it. I'll use the MSRP just so that everyone has a consistent reference point. And AWD is a must, just take my word for it. Believe me I want to add everything.

Unfortunately I'm biased towards Estoril blue, so I have these two builds. It makes me slightly sad the M sport version is actually less sporty, but I just love that Estoril blue.

BUILD 1
Base Price: 38,500
B45, Estoril Blue: 550
ZTP, Tech Pack: 3,100
494, Heated Seats: 500
508, Park Distance Control: 750
ZMM, M Sport Line: 3,850
del, Dest & Hand: 895

Total $48,145

BUILD 2
A89, Imperial Blue: 550
ZSL, Sport Line: 2,500
ZDH, Dynamic Handling: 1,000
2TB, Sport Trans: 500

Total $48,295

So what would you build?
Or which of these would you vote for?
Or what would you swap out/in?

Thanks, I appreciate your input!
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
Ya know, I can tell you what I want and what I like. I built mine out, tested cars that looked and had all the options I wanted to see what I really needed. Like pdc, do u parallel park a lot or in the city? Might u want the upgraded stereo. And do u need the dynamic package over premium package.

Only u can really answer that, it's your car.

I think both look good.
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by niddin View Post
I've read a lot of posts about "Is this option good" or "what do you think of x" as people try to figure out what they should be getting. So as I try to budget out what I want it doesn't make it any easier because whatever the option is somebody can't live without it. I'll use the MSRP just so that everyone has a consistent reference point. And AWD is a must, just take my word for it. Believe me I want to add everything.

Unfortunately I'm biased towards Estoril blue, so I have these two builds. It makes me slightly sad the M sport version is actually less sporty, but I just love that Estoril blue.

BUILD 1
B45, Estoril Blue: 550
ZMM, M Sport Line: 3,850

Total $48,145

BUILD 2

Total $48,295

So what would you build?
Or which of these would you vote for?
Or what would you swap out/in?

Thanks, I appreciate your input!
What is more important to you, how the car feels when you drive it or the creature comforts?

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
If you care about performance on an xdrive you need dhp because none of the lines come with sport suspension if its an xdrive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Last edited by sean10mm; 11-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Well I want it all, I want to annoy my wife at red lights and sharp turns AND to have creature comforts. That's why it's hard for me between these.

But if you could I want biased opinions. Like bj level biased opinions, you won't hurt my feelings, I promise. This is a great forum and you are all enthusiasts and may have experiences or thoughts that I hadn't factored in.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
Ok why is x drive a factor? Do u live in an area that gets that much snow?

The balance of the 328 and 335 are amazing and giving you more control.

Just wondering your rational is all.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Well I want it all, I want to annoy my wife at red lights and sharp turns AND to have creature comforts. That's why it's hard for me between these.

But if you could I want biased opinions. Like bj level biased opinions, you won't hurt my feelings, I promise. This is a great forum and you are all enthusiasts and may have experiences or thoughts that I hadn't factored in.
Here are my honest thoughts:

Forget Estoril Blue as its going to get tired and it requires a very expensive option whose core can be had with the Sport line.

BUILD 2

Total $48,295

Take that build. Add Lighting Package, Add Rear Camera.

Either negotiate better to get the extra $2500 for those options *or* sell a Rolex or your Snowmobile to make up the difference. If you have a hot wife or mistress I can fund these options for you in exchange for certain physical tasks too.

You don't need M-Sport or a tiresome color. You need Xenons and the Rear Camera. Don't have regrets over $30 a month.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord :(
I disagree with those that say you don't need the m sport and the exclusive color. It's a beautiful car. Lighting package is a must too.

Last edited by BentZero; 11-03-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I disagree with those that say you don't need the m sport and the exclusive color. It's a beautiful car.
It is a beautiful color, sure, but when you have to pick a color or some packages...I'd go with the packages.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Ekon Hitman

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Xenonssssssssss:th umbup:
Old 11-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
It is a beautiful color, sure, but when you have to pick a color or some packages...I'd go with the packages.
Honestly though at this price point what's another $550? M sport package is a must for me for the steering wheel and body kit. I could also do without the PDC which would cover the estoril blue.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Honestly though at this price point what's another $550? M sport package is a must for me for the steering wheel and body kit. I could also do without the PDC which would cover the estoril blue.
I think it was a question of Sport vs MSport just to have the color as an option.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
I am partial to the Imperial Blue!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybiker View Post
Ok why is x drive a factor? Do u live in an area that gets that much snow?
I live in Minnesota so we have our share of snow days. That combined with some hills and stops on my commute lead to some very long, very impossible driving. RWD + snows won't always be enough. The only car I've seen make it up the turn out of our development every time is an AWD in snows, and I am envious every time I see it. My brother got by on a CTS with snows but he also lives in flat suburb land right off the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Here are my honest thoughts:
BUILD 2

Take that build. Add Lighting Package, Add Rear Camera.

Either negotiate better to get the extra $2500 for those options *or* sell a Rolex or your Snowmobile to make up the difference. If you have a hot wife or mistress I can fund these options for you in exchange for certain physical tasks too.

You don't need M-Sport or a tiresome color. You need Xenons and the Rear Camera. Don't have regrets over $30 a month.

BJ
I think you missed part of my post. 48.5K hard limit. Though it's good to know if that limit goes up what you'd add next, though in which order? And would you drop something to prioritize those first?

$30 a month is my iphone data, and if I give that up, how can waste time at work?

And as far as the hot wife and mistress, if I ever figure out how to convince them to do physical tasks on demand... like say yardwork... or something... I'll be using that power for myself. Until then I'm out of luck.

Quote:
I think it was a question of Sport vs MSport just to have the color as an option.
You are correct, I really like the M Sport Styling, and it is my preference, but if I could get Estoril without the M I would to save a buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I am partial to the Imperial Blue!
It's 2nd for me with Alpine White coming in 3rd.

Quote:
I disagree with those that say you don't need the m sport and the exclusive color. It's a beautiful car. Lighting package is a must too.
When I was first looking they didn't have any at the local dealerships. But I went on a trip to Las Vegas and I stopped at the dealership there just to take a look in person because it's hard to really get it until you see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arciga18 View Post
Xenonssssssssss:th umbup:
Would you drop something to add them in?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. In that case I wouldn't do that if I didn't also love the m sport package. Fortunately I do.

OP, what kind of driving will you be doing? I live in an area where the roads are arrow straight, so I'd go with a modified build 1. Drop the blue and go MG. Drop the PDC. Then add lighting. Btw, I believe you don't get the cat eyes without the lighting package. If you have some fun roads and plan on having fun on them then I'd go with a modified build 2. Again with the goal of adding lighting.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Ok, so after some thought I've determined the lighting packages really is a must have. And that got me thinking that if I went with IB, I should just lose the sport line entirely and put that money elsewhere.

What besides the sport seats does that really get me on an xdrive that I'd miss? It's really just seat, trims and rims? I think the seat is really all I'd have to make sure works. Anyone have anything compelling to get sport line on an x drive? I already lose the suspension, and I'm ok with the rims because that's one of the easiest things to upgrade at a later time. The sport transmission would be lost but isn't that just coding anyway? Because without the x-drive I could add in lighting, the HK audio and the entire driver assistance package and still end up under 48.5.

Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
I think you missed part of my post. 48.5K hard limit. Though it's good to know if that limit goes up what you'd add next, though in which order? And would you drop something to prioritize those first?

$30 a month is my iphone data, and if I give that up, how can waste time at work?
For 48.5K you can have a pretty nicely loaded MSport xDrive whathaveyou, if you are planning just coming to the dealer and hand them the funds for the sticker on the car than I want to be your sales person.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Ok, so after some thought I've determined the lighting packages really is a must have. And that got me thinking that if I went with IB, I should just lose the sport line entirely and put that money elsewhere.

What besides the sport seats does that really get me on an xdrive that I'd miss? It's really just seat, trims and rims? I think the seat is really all I'd have to make sure works. Anyone have anything compelling to get sport line on an x drive? I already lose the suspension, and I'm ok with the rims because that's one of the easiest things to upgrade at a later time. The sport transmission would be lost but isn't that just coding anyway? Because without the x-drive I could add in lighting, the HK audio and the entire driver assistance package and still end up under 48.5.

Thoughts?
OK, my thoughts. Do your eyes work correctly with your brain? Does your head turn on your neck? Yes? You do not need a driver assistant package. It is EASY, EASY, EASY to set your mirrors properly to eliminate blind spots. (hint, is not necessary to see the sides of your car in the side mirrors.)

OK, having said that, you probably won't like my configuration. While I do like the HUD, I will not pay for an in-car navigation system. So, the Tech pkg is out. However, I must have lumbar support (because I like it). And I will never buy a car without a sun/moonroof. And, no matter what anyone on the face of the earth says, leatherette is not the same as leather.

Since you live in MN it only makes sense to get the full Cold Weather package. Do you really want to sit on unheated, plastic seats in MN in the middle of winter?! Since the car now comes with keyless starting it only makes sense to also have keyless unlocking and locking. Plus, you have to have CA to open the truck hands-free.

328i xDrive
Metallic paint
Cold weather package
Dynamic Handling package
Premium package
Lighting package
Harman Kardon stereo
BMW Assist (because it could literally save your life) with enhanced Bluetooth
PDC
Rear view camera (because BMW's rear view camera system is really, really good.)
$48,570 -- so, sue me, I went $70 over budget.

EDIT: add Tech package = $51,120 MSRP. INVOICE = $47,165, plus $1,335 for dealer profit = $48,500 even.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-21-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
I live in the snow belt. I picked up my car last month in Munich. We had cold and snow in Salzburg. I tried the heated seats and wheel. Trust me, get it. The wheel was warm in under a minute.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
328i xDrive
Metallic paint
Cold weather package
Dynamic Handling package
Premium package
Lighting package
Harman Kardon stereo
BMW Assist (because it could literally save your life) with enhanced Bluetooth
PDC
Rear view camera (because BMW's rear view camera system is really, really good.)
$48,570 -- so, sue me, I went $70 over budget.
328i xDrive
Imperial Blue Metallic Paint
Dynamic Handling package
Sport Automatic Transmission (Paddles on the steering wheel)
Lighting package (can you say Xeeeeenoooons)
Take the Sport Package over Premium package - Do prefer Leather, Sunroof & Comfort access or Black Leatherette with all the interior and exterior Sport Trim and the Sweet Double Spoke 18" Wheels?
Technology Package (comes with Navigation, HUD, BMW Assist, and enhanced Bluetooth)
Heated Seats – would you really use the rear heated seats and do you really need the heated steering wheel?
MSRP = $48,495 Just under the $48.5K

The park distance control is nice but this is not a large SUV with a huge blind spot or a large Maybach, this is a 3-series with a 110" wheelbase. My Imperial Blue 328i X-drive arrived in port November 18, dealer says November 26 delivery!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 11-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i XDrive
Great thread.

I'm also in MN. I currently have a 2008 335ix. I'll be passing that to my wife and getting a 328i XDrive in the spring.

I've had three cars with all wheel drive. My current BMW, and two Audi A4's before that. I -really- like the all wheel drive, even when the pavement is dry, but especially when there are a few inches of snow on the freeway, with even more bunched up between lanes. The XDrive really adds to confidence in simple activities like changing lanes at 55 MPH in those conditions.

I appreciate the heated seats. I think the Xenons are a wise choice given how crappy the road crud will be piling up on your headlights in the winter.

As another thread mentioned, if the car was available without the NAV display, I'd probably order it that way, but as long as it is there, I will be buying NAV -- not so much for the NAV, but for the larger, higher resolution display that comes with it.

I'll also be getting the dynamic handling package; The HK Audio; Enhanced Bluetooth. Premium as well. We shall see as the order date gets closer. My goal is to have the car arrive after the last big snow of the season - probably mid March 2013.

John

Last edited by JohnnyO; 11-21-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
I got the following for $49,650
2013 BMW 328xi M-Sport, Cold Weather, Lighting, Premium, Tech Packages, Paddle Shifters

I think if you remove the paddle shifters and tech package, add Navigation and you should hit you numbers. I love M-sport and Estoril Blue!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
For 48.5K you can have a pretty nicely loaded MSport xDrive whathaveyou, if you are planning just coming to the dealer and hand them the funds for the sticker on the car than I want to be your sales person.
mSRP was just a starting point so people don't argue about how great a deal they can get. The worst I can do is USAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
OK, having said that, you probably won't like my configuration. While I do like the HUD, I will not pay for an in-car navigation system. So, the Tech pkg is out. However, I must have lumbar support (because I like it). And I will never buy a car without a sun/moonroof. And, no matter what anyone on the face of the earth says, leatherette is not the same as leather.
I am the total opposite on the sunroof, I can't stand them, they drive me nuts. But I thought you were onto something with dropping the tech package because it opened up some cash but boss requires navigation and didn't let me float the idea for more than a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
I live in the snow belt. I picked up my car last month in Munich. We had cold and snow in Salzburg. I tried the heated seats and wheel. Trust me, get it. The wheel was warm in under a minute.
I wish they just offered it on the leatherette! Almost makes me curious to see if they shake it up for the 2014 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
328i xDrive
Imperial Blue Metallic Paint
Dynamic Handling package
Sport Automatic Transmission (Paddles on the steering wheel)
Lighting package (can you say Xeeeeenoooons)
Take the Sport Package over Premium package - Do prefer Leather, Sunroof & Comfort access or Black Leatherette with all the interior and exterior Sport Trim and the Sweet Double Spoke 18" Wheels?
Technology Package (comes with Navigation, HUD, BMW Assist, and enhanced Bluetooth)
Heated Seats – would you really use the rear heated seats and do you really need the heated steering wheel?
MSRP = $48,495 Just under the $48.5K

The park distance control is nice but this is not a large SUV with a huge blind spot or a large Maybach, this is a 3-series with a 110" wheelbase. My Imperial Blue 328i X-drive arrived in port November 18, dealer says November 26 delivery!
I'd rather have the looks of the sport, and I'm great at ruining leather, so it's probably best I skip it. But I really like this build. I wish they offered the rear view camera without PDc because then this would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Great thread.

I'm also in MN. I currently have a 2008 335ix. I'll be passing that to my wife and getting a 328i XDrive in the spring.

I've had three cars with all wheel drive. My current BMW, and two Audi A4's before that. I -really- like the all wheel drive, even when the pavement is dry, but especially when there are a few inches of snow on the freeway, with even more bunched up between lanes. The XDrive really adds to confidence in simple activities like changing lanes at 55 MPH in those conditions.

I appreciate the heated seats. I think the Xenons are a wise choice given how crappy the road crud will be piling up on your headlights in the winter.

As another thread mentioned, if the car was available without the NAV display, I'd probably order it that way, but as long as it is there, I will be buying NAV -- not so much for the NAV, but for the larger, higher resolution display that comes with it.

I'll also be getting the dynamic handling package; The HK Audio; Enhanced Bluetooth. Premium as well. We shall see as the order date gets closer. My goal is to have the car arrive after the last big snow of the season - probably mid March 2013.

John
Where do you think you'll go? Burnsville or Minnetonka? When I was looking at them I was on vacation and still haven't stepped into one of the local dealers. I expect them to be disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller68 View Post
I got the following for $49,650
2013 BMW 328xi M-Sport, Cold Weather, Lighting, Premium, Tech Packages, Paddle Shifters

I think if you remove the paddle shifters and tech package, add Navigation and you should hit you numbers. I love M-sport and Estoril Blue!

The minute I can start to be ok with IB, which is a color I like, you have to go off and post this. Damn. Maybe I just need to get a second job for a bit to up those options. Who wouldn't want their pizza delivered in that!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I would much rather have the performance advantages of adaptive-m suspension on the x-drive car then the cosmetic "thrill" of the m-sport package. My car has almost everything, list price was $52,000 or so and after various discounts it was about $48K out the door.

In fact I would take adaptive m over xenons to tell you the truth.