BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M56B25 SULEV Warranty Document, Questions, Check-in Thread

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sam2001320 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I posted a similar thread on e46fanatics and it has turned out to be extremely helpful for many users, so I thought I should share it here as well. (Original thread link)

In this first post, I am including any important information I find for SULEV owners, regarding warranty, part compatibility, etc. The Air Resource Board approvals indicate a service life of exhaust and evaporative emissions components as being 150,000 miles.

I'm just curious how many M56B25 SULEVs are floating around on here. Put your mileage, engine modifications, tuning, driveline modifications (e.g. transmission, diff ratio), etc., along with any problems you've had with it (and whether or not BMW warrantied the issue). :hi: I have also posted the info sheet that dealers received regarding the SULEV.

FYI for anyone who does not know, the SULEV has a unique sealed fuel system of mostly stainless steel, and a stainless steel fuel rail. In addition, it has an extra set of catalytic converters, different pistons, different VANOS settings, higher pressure/flowing injectors, larger intake diameter (same as a 330i), and a radiator that has been coated to reduce ozone breakdown. In addition to extra cats in the front section of the exhaust, it has the midsection from a 325i and the rear muffler from a 330i with the active exhaust flap.

I have an '04 with 80k miles, an Active Autowerke tune (removed because I took it in to the dealership), K&N panel filter, I got rid of the hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box, and I have had the standard issues like OFHG, OPG, and cooling system. Recently, I took the car into the dealership for fuel filling issues. The pump would cut out, thinking the car was full of gas before it was. After much hassle (you can read through some of it here), the vapor canister was finally replaced under warranty.

Attachment 4: SULEV specific warranty handbook dated 2005

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
My car is an M56 SULEV, 2004 325CI that we purchased preowned in 2007. No modifications but we are experiencing one issue. I think it might be the charcoal canister, the issue is when we fill up the car with fuel the pump keeps stoping, we have to wait a few seconds and continue to fill. This happens 10-15 times during refueling.

My question is, is this covered under the 150K mile emission warranty???

Any help is much appreciated.

Jeff

#5 ·
If your answer is not found within the specifics listed in Post #1, you`ll have to notify a dealer (or possibly BMWNA) for a more detailed explaination.

#8 ·
I bought a used 03 325i this past Fri it had the same charcoal filter issue as well. The previous owner got it fixed just before selling it to me it didn't start happening till 190,000 mi but he had to get the entire gas tank replaced... Of course these people ran regular gas in this thing so that might've contributed to the problem. Since i've gotten it it's been perfect. :)

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.