Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
M56B25 SULEV Guru

Mein Auto: '04 325i ZSP ZPP SULEV
M56B25 SULEV Warranty Document, Questions, Check-in Thread

Hi everyone, I posted a similar thread on e46fanatics and it has turned out to be extremely helpful for many users, so I thought I should share it here as well. (Original thread link)

In this first post, I am including any important information I find for SULEV owners, regarding warranty, part compatibility, etc. The Air Resource Board approvals indicate a service life of exhaust and evaporative emissions components as being 150,000 miles.

I'm just curious how many M56B25 SULEVs are floating around on here. Put your mileage, engine modifications, tuning, driveline modifications (e.g. transmission, diff ratio), etc., along with any problems you've had with it (and whether or not BMW warrantied the issue). I have also posted the info sheet that dealers received regarding the SULEV.

FYI for anyone who does not know, the SULEV has a unique sealed fuel system of mostly stainless steel, and a stainless steel fuel rail. In addition, it has an extra set of catalytic converters, different pistons, different VANOS settings, higher pressure/flowing injectors, larger intake diameter (same as a 330i), and a radiator that has been coated to reduce ozone breakdown. In addition to extra cats in the front section of the exhaust, it has the midsection from a 325i and the rear muffler from a 330i with the active exhaust flap.

I have an '04 with 80k miles, an Active Autowerke tune (removed because I took it in to the dealership), K&N panel filter, I got rid of the hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box, and I have had the standard issues like OFHG, OPG, and cooling system. Recently, I took the car into the dealership for fuel filling issues. The pump would cut out, thinking the car was full of gas before it was. After much hassle (you can read through some of it here), the vapor canister was finally replaced under warranty.

__________________________________________________ __________
Attachment 1: M56 engine BMWNA information release to dealerships
Attachment 2: CARB M56 approval dated 2003 (indicates service life of 150k miles on evap/emissions equipment)
Attachment 3: CARB M56 approval dated 2004 (indicates service life of 150k miles on evap/emissions equipment)
Attachment 4: SULEV specific warranty handbook dated 2005
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M56sulev.pdf (177.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: pdf California approval of SULEV_2003.pdf (204.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf California approval of SULEV_2004.pdf (169.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf SULEV Warranty handbook_2005.pdf (1.04 MB, 130 views)

Last edited by briangl92; 11-28-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci SULEV
I have an '04 SULEV as well, 110k miles. You mentioned different VANOS settings, does this mean the rebuilt VANOS online (Beisan Kit) will not work? I recently figured out the O2 sensors are different and more expensive, however did not know about the VANOS.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
M56B25 SULEV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsandoval View Post
I have an '04 SULEV as well, 110k miles. You mentioned different VANOS settings, does this mean the rebuilt VANOS online (Beisan Kit) will not work? I recently figured out the O2 sensors are different and more expensive, however did not know about the VANOS.
I haven't compared part numbers to know for sure but I think the VANOS units are the same. It's just the programming. I could be wrong. I'd suggest realOEM.com to double check.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Hi everyone, I posted a similar thread on e46fanatics and it has turned out to be extremely helpful for many users, so I thought I should share it here as well. (Original thread link)

In this first post, I am including any important information I find for SULEV owners, regarding warranty, part compatibility, etc. The Air Resource Board approvals indicate a service life of exhaust and evaporative emissions components as being 150,000 miles.

I'm just curious how many M56B25 SULEVs are floating around on here. Put your mileage, engine modifications, tuning, driveline modifications (e.g. transmission, diff ratio), etc., along with any problems you've had with it (and whether or not BMW warrantied the issue). I have also posted the info sheet that dealers received regarding the SULEV.

FYI for anyone who does not know, the SULEV has a unique sealed fuel system of mostly stainless steel, and a stainless steel fuel rail. In addition, it has an extra set of catalytic converters, different pistons, different VANOS settings, higher pressure/flowing injectors, larger intake diameter (same as a 330i), and a radiator that has been coated to reduce ozone breakdown. In addition to extra cats in the front section of the exhaust, it has the midsection from a 325i and the rear muffler from a 330i with the active exhaust flap.

I have an '04 with 80k miles, an Active Autowerke tune (removed because I took it in to the dealership), K&N panel filter, I got rid of the hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box, and I have had the standard issues like OFHG, OPG, and cooling system. Recently, I took the car into the dealership for fuel filling issues. The pump would cut out, thinking the car was full of gas before it was. After much hassle (you can read through some of it here), the vapor canister was finally replaced under warranty.

__________________________________________________ __________
Attachment 1: M56 engine BMWNA information release to dealerships
Attachment 2: CARB M56 approval dated 2003 (indicates service life of 150k miles on evap/emissions equipment)
Attachment 3: CARB M56 approval dated 2004 (indicates service life of 150k miles on evap/emissions equipment)
Attachment 4: SULEV specific warranty handbook dated 2005
My car is an M56 SULEV, 2004 325CI that we purchased preowned in 2007. No modifications but we are experiencing one issue. I think it might be the charcoal canister, the issue is when we fill up the car with fuel the pump keeps stoping, we have to wait a few seconds and continue to fill. This happens 10-15 times during refueling.

My question is, is this covered under the 150K mile emission warranty???

Any help is much appreciated.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 12-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
My car is an M56 SULEV, 2004 325CI that we purchased preowned in 2007. No modifications but we are experiencing one issue. I think it might be the charcoal canister, the issue is when we fill up the car with fuel the pump keeps stoping, we have to wait a few seconds and continue to fill. This happens 10-15 times during refueling.

Jeff
If your answer is not found within the specifics listed in Post #1, you`ll have to notify a dealer (or possibly BMWNA) for a more detailed explaination.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
M56B25 SULEV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post

Jeff
It's a moderately common problem for the canister to plug up, usually with liquid gasoline. It could be the charcoal canister, although if the vapor guard on the gas pump is even the slightest bit plugged up, it'll trigger it to shut off even with a brand new charcoal canister, so try several pumps and several gas stations before bringing it to the dealership.

But to answer your question, yes, a bad canister filter is covered.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM
M56B25 SULEV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsandoval View Post
To update, the Vanos units are the same and the Beisan kits work just fine. I'm using one in my car. It's the programming that differs.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i (m56 engine)
Re: M56B25 SULEV Warranty Document, Questions, Check-in Thread

I bought a used 03 325i this past Fri it had the same charcoal filter issue as well. The previous owner got it fixed just before selling it to me it didn't start happening till 190,000 mi but he had to get the entire gas tank replaced... Of course these people ran regular gas in this thing so that might've contributed to the problem. Since i've gotten it it's been perfect. :-)

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app