Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
How may 3 series are driven anything other than sedately? Most are bought for the badge and the owners have moved up from Camry's and Accord's. Yes Cadillac has an image problem but who cares as long as the car drives well? BMW's image to many is pretty snobbish.
Hey it's ok, Caddy does have image issue, it is also true at the auto shows there were mostly seniors looking at Caddies, and therefore the ATS.

I think if they play the card right, they will be able to recruit a lot more younger drivers, starting with ATS.

BTW, when it comes to driving enthusiasts, I am afraid the younger generations are less passionate about driving than older generations these days.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
BTW, when it comes to driving enthusiasts, I am afraid the younger generations are less passionate about driving than older generations these days.
There is some truth to this. It's the Toyota Prius generation. There are a lot of 20 (and even 30) somethings out there that are more enamoured with hybrids than the F30.

However, my 16 year old and all his friends seem to be more into performance/enthusiast cars than the eco/green cars.

So hopefully a new wave of kids will pick up where we left off.

Last edited by krash; 01-13-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The oldest of the Baby Boomers are approaching retirement age. These Senior Citizens grew up with performance cars, GTOs, Boss Mustangs, Camaro Z28s and BMW 1600s and 2002s, Datsun 240Zs, etc,
Now that they are older and now that cars have evolved they may be looking for more creature comforts than when they were younger but they are not looking for the 21st Century reincarnation of a mid 60s Cadillac that isolates them from the road. This is a very affluent segment of the population and is very important to any car company.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
BJ was right about many seniors looking at the ATSs at auto shows. However, seniors are the most affluent demographics in the US now, especially those looking at luxury brands.

I have said this many times, for ATS to change Caddy's image, they need to have competitive leases. Those who just enter job market often cannot afford a 3 series, and since the 3 series can sell for more because there are plenty of established buyers out there who are willing to pay for it, it will be out of reach for many younger drivers.

Here Caddy has an opening, unintended maybe, but whether they can see it or not is questionable.

BTW, I would not call ATS boring, it stands out quite apart from many other brands. But it still lacks options. In this super competitive segment, they need to learn from the boss, provide more trims and special order items, such as performance parts. They are not nearly as resourceful as BMW in this regard.
Oh well, just after I pointed out how the higher price people must pay to get the new 3 series (compared to other brands in this segment), and it gave other brands an opening, now BMW introduces the 320i, a detuned 3 series just to answer that.

Who said BMW does not listen?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Oh well, just after I pointed out how the higher price people must pay to get the new 3 series (compared to other brands in this segment), and it gave other brands an opening, now BMW introduces the 320i, a detuned 3 series just to answer that.

Who said BMW does not listen?
The F30 320i has been sold elsewhere for over a year.

It was kind of a no brainer after seeing Cadillac brag about the $33k price point and $299 a month leases.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
It was kind of a no brainer after seeing Cadillac brag about the $33k price point and $299 a month leases.
Yeah right, had someone speculated before the show BMW would bring the 320i to the NA market, most people here would have laughed at him, now everyone thinks it's a no brainer.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah right, had someone speculated before the show BMW would bring the 320i to the NA market, most people here would have laughed at him, now everyone thinks it's a no brainer.
Not sure what there is to laugh at.

The global car business is coming more and more to the NA market.

Remember when there would be various Ford's, various tuning-we had a crappy Focus compared to the Euro Focus, now one iteration. Now small engines, even diesels and 3 cylinder engines, more small hatchbacks, all here now in North America.

BMW is and will be doing the same thing. More small cars, more engine downsizing, more diesels.

I think it's great. I hated being in Europe and fawning for cars we would never see. Now the problem is all those Euro cars had manuals and we are getting less and less.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Not sure what there is to laugh at.

The global car business is coming more and more to the NA market.

Remember when there would be various Ford's, various tuning-we had a crappy Focus compared to the Euro Focus, now one iteration. Now small engines, even diesels and 3 cylinder engines, more small hatchbacks, all here now in North America.

BMW is and will be doing the same thing. More small cars, more engine downsizing, more diesels.

I think it's great. I hated being in Europe and fawning for cars we would never see. Now the problem is all those Euro cars had manuals and we are getting less and less.
BMW's answer was 1 series, they finally realized people in the US till want big sizes, just sell them for less. A three cylinder F30 for another $3,000 less would be even better.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
BMW's answer was 1 series, they finally realized people in the US till want big sizes, just sell them for less. A three cylinder F30 for another $3,000 less would be even better.
They have other options globally before reaching for the 3cylinder which is earmarked for smaller cars. They have the 318 and 316 still.