Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Most people that bash the F30 say they don't like the swiss army knife utility of the car because it's doesn't excel at any 1 particular property. IMHO, that's what's great about the F30 because it's top 3 in all the important parameters and shows so much potential in customizing the important parameters the owner wants. On top of the utility of the car, they also managed to improve the gas mileage by 20-30% over the previous model with the 328i line, which is awesome compared to the E46 & E9x equivalents.

Examples:
1) If the suspension is too soft and not responsive enough; especially for agressive driving= remove DHP and get the BMW M Performance suspension + Sport/M-Sport anti-roll bars if you don't already have the trim.
2) If the auto start/stop annoys you= Have the dealer to program it off all the time.
3) The suspension isn't refined enough for a DD= get the DHP with both the adaptive suspension and variable steering; adds tons of refinement that the sport/m-sport doesn't have and improves upon the base, modern and luxury lines. Also essential for the awd models as they don't get the sport/m-sport lines.
4) Brakes on the 328i is not strong enough= upgrade to the BMW M Performance brakes; which adds 4 pots in the front and larger 1 pot in the rear.
5) The 8AT isn't responsive or good enough like the manual or the has too many gears= Get the 6MT
6) Eco Pro is a dog= Switch on the fly to comfort or sport/sport+
7) The tires grip are not enough= Upgrade to non-RFT tires, such as the Micheline PSS or PS2s for summer and PS2 A/S for all season.
8) Car costs too much= get a base model
9) Car doesn't have enough power= get the 335i or get a 328i with the BMS chip tune.
10) Car rolls too much= Upgrade to the Sport/M-Sport anti-roll bars if you have a base/modern/luxury line.
11) It's too heavy and large = Get the 1 series or wait for the 2 when it comes out.
12) V4T doesn't have a linear response compared to the I6= requires a bit of tuning but getting a modified twin-scroll (this was the best response to counter turbo lag) turbo using a smaller impeller for the initial stage then progressively larger with the final stage will resolve the linear feel, add in properly matched cams towards the transition point when the turbo runs out of air allowing the engine to breath more till redline will provide a linear and sustainable powerband from 1500rpms to redline (similar to the I6 power band in the older E46 & E9x engines). This will require $$$, a customized dyno tuned programmable ECU and map but it can be done.

Yes, BJ, not all E46 owners bash this forum. We do offer helpful and useful banter; objective of course
V4T? The N20 is an inline four, not a V-4. Also, some of the solutions are pricey.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
I agree with otonimus I just bought my first BMW and I love my F30. I find the turbo 4 very fast, given how much I get to air it out with Seattle traffic.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Gotcha

I'm just poking a little fun (with a big pinch of respect) at 3 enthusiasts who lament the changing of the 3.

An era in automotive history is over. It's big. I get it. I was very tempted to get a 2011 to squeak in and get an inline 6. But I was so happy with the test drive of my '13, and love the fuel economy.

I own a 335i and during a four-day wait for a tire replacement, the dealer loaner was a base 328i with not much more than an AT and the cold-weather package.

I loved it. The N20 clatters a little, but so what? The engine is fast and efficient. That 328i was a dream for what I used it for: commuting to and from work. The only things I really missed were the advanced USB for easily connecting my iPhone and the HK sound system.

Otherwise, the 328i was damn near perfect: fast, comfortable, safe and fun-to-drive.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
overall i think the 328 is better than the 335 if you dont need to act like a race car driver.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr View Post
I4T? The N20 is an inline four, not a V-4. Also, some of the solutions are pricey.
Fixed
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 AM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
overall i think the 328 is better than the 335 if you dont need to act like a race car driver.
I pretend to be the stig on the track with my noline 328. At least its almost fully loaded gor the daily drives. My car came with a driver mod the day i got it too. But i wonder what i could do in that 335 beast mode.

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
If you pretend to be a race car driver, the n20 is probably better It has a superior weight distribution which is enormously important when on a race track (I'm not talking about static weight distribution on a scale, but placement of weight)

Now if you want to be a dragster, I agree with you!

Many members of this forum, and even a few commenters on this thread, only a few years ago would relay that they wouldn't get an Audi cause they:
1. Used a not as smooth turbo four cylinder
2. Lacked certain steering feel

Apparently, Audi's been on to something since at least 2007 - and I say that with hope that an f30 model derivative that might one day sit in my driveway to replace my (exceptionally great!) 2008 Subaru Legacy GT....which has a 243hp unsmooth turbo 4 cylinder and lively steering feel