Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-for-speed View Post
well gang I think I found the problem thanks to your advise. Ran motor until up to running temp along the way used a heavy rag (not advisable ) to see if I could stop the belt driven cooling fan without much effort and sure enough it did stop. on my way to the shop to purchase a new fan clutch and will update with results once done. I would like to thank all for your helpful input and wish all the best.
Great I figured it was the clutch because you said you were on the freeway it didn't overheat but it overheats some times while idling.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
back to square one, replaced fan clutch yesterday drove car around town (about 10 or so miles) everything looked and ran great. temp was were it should be then got onto the freeway and sure enough over heating occured so now that pretty much everything has been replaced does anyone have any other idea's ? I still think it may have something to do with the new thermostat since the way it's reacting when it heats up like so sudden as if someone just closed the flow of fluid with a snap of a finger .
Old 12-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I would recommend you replace your new thermostat with your original thermostat. See if that makes a difference. I'm not keen on Pep Boys parts. While a thermostat is a pretty simple device, you never know with non-OEM parts.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
See the temp needle isn't actually displaying the temp. It's more like a switch between Cold/normal/overheat if the needle moves past 12 it doesn't mean the closer to 12 the colder the engine is. On top of that that temp isn't even the real temp because you could have air pocket move through it very quickly and the car would show it.

I think your headgasket is toast. Please change the oil to see if it has coolant in it. It takes 10 minutes to do that. It would also answer a lot of questions before you go tearing the cooling system down.

Just my $.02
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM

525i Overheating Issue Found

Found problem today, removed tstat and new Bosch water pump and would you know it the water pumps impeller is no longer there, appear the water pump blew apart so to save a couple of bucks sure is not worth it. I would advise all go with the manufactures OEM BMW parts, the headache is not worth it . By the way would anyone know how I might get Bosch to pay fo all the issues the water pump has caused?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM

yes the water pump that failed is a Bosch, would not advise anyone to go with Bosch since now I have no idea how im going to account for all the parts of the water pump that are in the engine cooling system now
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 PM

appears the overheating problem was the water pump all along
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM

so much for that lifetime warranty
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
so much for that lifetime warranty
- Which warranties are useful and whether or not a lifetime warranty make sense (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Bosch states lifetime warranty on there water pumps, since I thought Bosch was a quality product I went for it and the pump failed only after less than a week. Looking at getting a Stewart pump, a bit costly but at this point I think it may be worth the extra bucks.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Bosch states lifetime warranty on there water pumps, since I thought Bosch was a quality product I went for it and the pump failed only after less than a week..
All warranties are meaningless when it comes to whether the unit will work or not for any specified period of time.

A warranty is merely a contract.

It has nothing to do with the product.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
The stewart water pump is the way to go....

just in case if you are interested

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...STE-30330.html

Quote:
Bosch states lifetime warranty on there water pumps, since I thought Bosch was a quality product I went for it and the pump failed only after less than a week. Looking at getting a Stewart pump, a bit costly but at this point I think it may be worth the extra bucks.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
appear the water pump blew apart so to save a couple of bucks sure is not worth it.
BTW, in my humble opinion, you should take a picture of your blown waterpump, perhaps next to your non-oem thermostat - for the benefit of the team here - and for the next person with similar issues and concerns.

It's the courteous thing to do.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: '02 525i/5
My car has been exibiting the same problems as yours and i have been trying to track down the cause. Can drive it around for a bit, or maybe 6-7 miles on highway and it will begin to overheat. I replaced the entire cooling system this past spring and installed the bosch water pump. Guess what I'll be removing from my car tomorrow night?
The overheating problems started after a good rip through the gears one day, never bumped redline or anything, but I did wind it out through each gear. Might have been too much for the water pump and it ate itself.

Can I get some feedback from people here that have experienced this? As N-F-S asks, how does one account for all the pieces of the impeller that are now in the cooling system? I don't like that idea at all.

N-F-S, you get the pics of your pump yet? I'll post back my results when I get my pump pulled out.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Ok, pulled the Bosch pump tonight and it's toast. Plastic impeller is cracked in two places and no longer attached to the shaft. It was still on there because of the clip on the end of the shaft, but no longer turning with it. Junk

Hepu pump ordered.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 AM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon
Quote:
Found problem today, removed tstat and new Bosch water pump and would you know it the water pumps impeller is no longer there, appear the water pump blew apart so to save a couple of bucks sure is not worth it. I would advise all go with the manufactures OEM BMW parts, the headache is not worth it . By the way would anyone know how I might get Bosch to pay fo all the issues the water pump has caused?
I told you in the beginning of this post to look there.. I had a nasty experience with the bosch pump...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	353071  

Last edited by dtadrian; 12-13-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 AM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon
I went with Hepu. logged 3k miles since with no issue.. I flushed entire motor out and radiator. I recovered most if not all of the broken pieces. I suggest you contact bosch. let them know of the situation and see if they offer to fix. also when you do get your hepu in and coolant in your system all you need to do is have expansion tank open, have your ignition on and the accessory position where you can turn the heater on. make sure you have one of the bleed screws open . once your aux pump turns on you will see a huge fountain. at the point turn it off and replace bleed screw. turn heater on and let it do its thing for about 10 min. you will see coolant and air bubbles coming out of the expansion tank. After about 10 min I turn the engine and and ran it for about 5 min with cap still off on the expansion tank. then I replaced cap and have not had any problems since.
some people may or may not like how I did it but it worked.. I have read a few different ways on how to bleed this system but I found this way to be very easy.
I hope this helps in any way.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtadrian View Post
I told you in the beginning of this post to look there.. I had a nasty experience with the bosch pump...
Holy crap! I'm glad mine didn't get to that point in the disintegration. It came out as one piece at least.