Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW!
Arrow My first Bavarian Motor Works car Experience

Hi guys,

Having always driven Japanese cars, I never even considered BMW. That is until my good friend insisted I give the new 3 series a test drive.. He explained German engineered cars are much safer, more fun and better built. Okay, I know this friend had a sizeable BMW bias because he has an M3. So I finally gave in and agreed to give the Bavarian a try.

We got there and test drove the no line RWD 320i. We punched it to 60kph and slammed on the brakes. Drove very casually near a cop car. Did some nice turns while accelerating. TBH I felt like a kid driving a go-kart for the first time. I fricken loved it, but what about the other brands?

Gave 3 different Lexus models a try. Checked out Mercedes C class. I could get a better deal with both those brands but who cares. The Bavarian Ear to ear smile was replaced with an underwhelming sense of "that's it, seriously, really, why?" I probably should have checked out Audi but I just didn't like the aesthetics..

So BMW was decided but I wanted more. AWD for our wet, wintery conditions. Xenon headlights and leather because I'm not crazy about the other stuff. Those features alone had me in the base 328x. It still wasn't enough.. I got hung up on the stock 17's. In my opinion these wheels were designed to make us want a Lux/Sport/Modern line. I started Lurking on here and obsessing about the differences. I ended up with Sport because I loved those wheels and the sport seats are a big improvement imo..

Ended up choosing Black Sapphire Metallic with Aluminum / Black high gloss interior trim. Beautiful!!

3 weeks later, I'm really happy with the car. One word to sum up the driving experience is "capable". 90% of the time I'm in Eco Pro. The stop start was weird at first but now I appreciate it and miss it when the engine is cold and it wont initiate. The other 10% I'm in Sport, getting on the highway or having a bit of fun. The power is there when I want it. I still can't believe it's a 4 cylinder..

The rear interior is roomy enough for an adult and overkill for my 3 year old with car seat (who by the way - walks around saying "BMW" in her outdoor voice). My last car was a coupe and awful for both parties.

Bluetooth integration is better than any car I have had including our current 2012 MDX. It just works as it should, no extra button presses, problems or BS. I have each of those # buttons programed to call my wife, house and friends. It's so bloody easy.. I also love the way they implemented mp3 control with both my Samsung galaxy and a USB key with MP3's. I bought a tiny 16 gig USB and loaded it with mp3's so I don't have to hook up my phone every time I get into the car. It set me back a whopping 12 bucks! Amazing!
I didn't really want a heated Steering wheel but now that I have one I use it all the time.

The only thing I miss is an audible beep of some sort when I lock the door.. That's me really nitpicking….
The BMW dealership was great to deal with on top of all that. They gave me a great deal and were really helpful throughout the whole process
That's all for now I guess. I Hope to learn more on here and eventually even read the manual

Thanks for reading,
BMW!!

Chiba

Last edited by chiba; 12-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Pretty awesome dang first post. Welcome!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Pretty awesome dang first post. Welcome!
Thanks Riff!!

I had to gush somewhere and figure this is the perfect place
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
very nice. w3lcome
Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
The audible beep is configurable in the settings menu of your idrive.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
The audible beep is configurable in the settings menu of your idrive.
not if you dont have the alarm
Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
The only Asian make that is even close in the experience and fun is an Infiniti but as of late they seem to be falling behind technology wise.

Lexus and acura arent even playing in the same league
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
congrats. no interior pics? and how much percent tint is that? I too started off looking at the base model but kept going until i ended up ordering a sport. i must say that the base rims look better in person. but the rims on the sport are perfect!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Wouldn't even give infinity a look because we had a rough time with Nissan service regarding our old Xterra.
I had an 06 Acura RSX coupe and it served me very well. I wouldn't have even thought to sell if it wasn't for the way I had to contort myself to get my 3 year old in her car seat..
At first I thought I would be sacrificing performance / fun factor for the 2 added doors but not even in the slightest. The 328 is worlds better in every aspect.
I dislike where Acura is going with their Sedans, their aesthetic just turns me off (concept car gone wrong?).. The MDX on the other hand is a great family SUV (aside from a few quirks). It's a shame we didn’t test drive the X5 last year while deciding.. Lexus seems to be a step ahead of Acura but as you said not even close to BMW. I expected a lot more from Mercedes.. The drive seemed Sterile and not even as comfortable as the stock 320i.. Weird! The Salesperson explained that BMW is a SPORTS car with luxury features while Mercedes is a LUXURY car with sport features. I'll take Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
The only Asian make that is even close in the experience and fun is an Infiniti but as of late they seem to be falling behind technology wise.

Lexus and acura arent even playing in the same league
Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks trinipirate,

Okay, tomorrow I'll get my wide angle lens out and take some interiors
The Tint is Formula one / Pinnacle, and is only 35% all around. It seems darker because of the black interior.
I'm so happy I went with the sport. The red stitching gives the car a great bit of character. The seats are so comfortable and I love being able to adjust the sides and bottom under my legs. For me, the wheels make the car and the 17's looked 2 small pre proportion and rims a bit dated. I knew I would have regretted the bit of savings in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinipirate View Post
congrats. no interior pics? and how much percent tint is that? I too started off looking at the base model but kept going until i ended up ordering a sport. i must say that the base rims look better in person. but the rims on the sport are perfect!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Enjoy your car! I had the same exact feeling the first time I drove my 2005. I was like, whoa. This is ALOT of fun! Enjoy!!
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
Wouldn't even give infinity a look because we had a rough time with Nissan service regarding our old Xterra.
I had an 06 Acura RSX coupe and it served me very well. I wouldn't have even thought to sell if it wasn't for the way I had to contort myself to get my 3 year old in her car seat..
At first I thought I would be sacrificing performance / fun factor for the 2 added doors but not even in the slightest. The 328 is worlds better in every aspect.
I dislike where Acura is going with their Sedans, their aesthetic just turns me off (concept car gone wrong?).. The MDX on the other hand is a great family SUV (aside from a few quirks). It's a shame we didn’t test drive the X5 last year while deciding.. Lexus seems to be a step ahead of Acura but as you said not even close to BMW. I expected a lot more from Mercedes.. The drive seemed Sterile and not even as comfortable as the stock 320i.. Weird! The Salesperson explained that BMW is a SPORTS car with luxury features while Mercedes is a LUXURY car with sport features. I'll take Sport
Their new design language really is bizarre. The new rlx or whatever they just unveiled is terrible or at least really boring. The current tsx is probably their only OK looking car.

I drove an 05 tsx and its a fun car for what it is, not to mention at the time cheap and reliable, but Honda more or less lost its mind after that generation. Went German after that and I am not sure I could go back ( maybe infiniti maybe... had one before too but their newest cars look bizarre).
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

So BMW was decided but I wanted more. AWD for our wet, wintery conditions. Xenon headlights and leather because I'm not crazy about the other stuff. Those features alone had me in the base 328x. It still wasn't enough.. I got hung up on the stock 17's. In my opinion these wheels were designed to make us want a Lux/Sport/Modern line. I started Lurking on here and obsessing about the differences. I ended up with Sport because I loved those wheels and the sport seats are a big improvement imo..

Chiba
Welcome aboard.

BJ

Copyright © BJ 2012

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Welcome aboard.

BJ

Copyright © BJ 2012
Thanks BJ,

If I ended up choosing the Luxury package it would have been the same Grey / brown leather combo you have. Looks great! Which Rolex do you have?

Chiba
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Thanks BJ,

If I ended up choosing the Luxury package it would have been the same Grey / brown leather combo you have. Looks great! Which Rolex do you have?

Chiba
1955 Datejust
2001 Submariner Date
2005 Turn-O-Graph
2007 Datejust Jubilee

I've also owned a 1936 Bubbleback, a 1962 Day-Date Roulette, and a 1980 Explorer 1.

I wanted the sport seats but couldn't live with another black or beige interior so I moved to Luxury and got the color combo I wanted this time.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Wow, nice collection BJ!!

I have a SubC

Chiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
1955 Datejust
2001 Submariner Date
2005 Turn-O-Graph
2007 Datejust Jubilee

I've also owned a 1936 Bubbleback, a 1962 Day-Date Roulette, and a 1980 Explorer 1.

I wanted the sport seats but couldn't live with another black or beige interior so I moved to Luxury and got the color combo I wanted this time.

BJ
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
3 weeks later, I'm really happy with the car. One word to sum up the driving experience is "capable". 90% of the time I'm in Eco Pro. The stop start was weird at first but now I appreciate it and miss it when the engine is cold and it wont initiate. The other 10% I'm in Sport, getting on the highway or having a bit of fun. The power is there when I want it. I still can't believe it's a 4 cylinder..

Chiba
Welcome to the 'fest! If you haven't tried this combo yet, you need to do it: Sport mode with the AT shifter in D/S, gives you a SAG all the time.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Thanks Dan,
Whats a SAG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Welcome to the 'fest! If you haven't tried this combo yet, you need to do it: Sport mode with the AT shifter in D/S, gives you a SAG all the time.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Thanks Dan,
Whats a SAG?
"silly ass grin" - coined by our 'fest founder, Jon Shafer, what you have on your face when driving a bimmer...
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Welcome to the LIGHT chipa. Great first post.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Then I SAG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
"silly ass grin" - coined by our 'fest founder, Jon Shafer, what you have on your face when driving a bimmer...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Welcome to the LIGHT chipa. Great first post.
Thanks Windsor and thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

As promised, I took some interiors!

I want to do more in better light

More more more! Tx for looking

Chiba