Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
Just got back from the dealer after a 328xi test drive. Few thoughts related to the original post here:

1) The turbo 4L engine pulls nicely and the turbo lab was virtually unnoticeable. However coming from my 325i E90, I wasn't blown away by the power and acceleration. Was expecting a bit more from a 60 Torque and 25 HP boost (from my car). That being said, it IS powerful.

2) The F30 feels considerable bigger coming from my E90. I felt like I was peering "over" the hood - even with my seat jacked up and I'm 6'0".

3) Tons of body lean when cornering quickly. The dealer didn't have a an xi with DHP so that probably had alot to do with it. I'll overlook this for now. But I definitely feel more "in control" in my current E90 (no sport package but no Xdrive either in my current car)

4) HUD - I purposely asked to drive a car with tech package so I could test the HUD display. I wear polarized Oakleys - without sunglasses, the display is bright and clear. With the glasses on however, even when the HUD is cranked up the max setting, it's pretty dim. I can see it, but it's not bright and not that easy to see. I was slightly disappointed.

5) Interior is nice. All the finishes and trims IMO are a slight step above my E90. Creature comforts galore with the integrated bluetooth, driver coded controls, etc - big improvement in luxury over E90.

6) All-season run flats are 180 degree difference from my E90 factory installed (noisy, rough, borderline unbearable). Smooth, quiet - worlds better on the F30.

I didn't have time to test drive the 335, will do that next time. I'm on the fence about the tech package. The HUD with polarized SGs is an issue and I know it gives you Itunes, Nav and Speed info on the display which is nice, but not sure it's worth the $$. I've never had NAV in any car (just buy the $100 portable ones) and I've gotten by. I can order BMW apps as a $250 option - so really not sure at this point. Overall, I was slightly disappointed by my 328xi test drive but I will go back and drive one with the DHP just to be sure. It's a nice car, but was looking for a little more. I am looking forward to the 335 test drive. Either way, I am BMW for life at this point, so I'm sure I'll be ordering something.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Not sure why, in VA, which does not get a ton of snow you would want x-drive. Get tech package instead of AWD. If the DHP doesn't give you thrills then get sport suspension.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Not sure why, in VA, which does not get a ton of snow you would want x-drive. Get tech package instead of AWD. If the DHP doesn't give you thrills then get sport suspension.
Good point about VA. In the close to 7 years I've had the car, we've probably endured about one big snow storm per year. Every time that happens, I curse myself for not getting xdrive - so while it happens relatively infrequently (aside from the 2010 snowpacalyspe year); I do want the assurance that I'm not going to fishtail making a right turn at 5 mph in 1/2" snow. The RWD is 100% useless in snow.... and yes, I could also solve this by getting snow tires.

BTW - isn't DHP the same as sport suspension? Or are you referring to the default sport suspension in the Sportline? Aside from that, every other sport suspension is part of the DHP, right?

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner
I attended "Preview" night at the LA Auto Show yesterday. I spent some time touching and feeling various models:

My original opinion that the F30's interior is a step down from the E90 stands. The materials are cheaper in spots, most notably on the center console. I also find the design of the dash to be less...elegant. There was an M-Sport 535i sitting right next to the F30s at the BMW display and what I can say is that the F10 interior is MAGNIFICENT. The gap in interior quality between an E60 and an E90 wasn't all that great but the difference between F10 and F30 is enormous.

I completely agree with the statement "nothing dates a car like a navigation system". The graphics get old, the map databases go obsolete unless you pay for pricey updates, they're slower and more difficult to use... I realize car companies like BMW are using these systems as profit centers and it appears that there are plenty of sheeple out there willing to pay $2K or more to have this functionality built into their cars but the reality is that a modern Android smartphone with a large screen (Galaxy S3, HTC OneX, whatever) simply kills any in-dash navigation system in terms of its ease of use (and low cost!). When I ordered my 335i in the fall of '06, in-dash navigation was the way to go but today, it simply isn't worth it. I *might* be willing to pay, say, $500 to have navigation in my car but definitely not $2K.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner
BTW, to be clear, I'm not a complete luddite. I do appreciate some technology: USB ports so I can play music files on the stereo and Bluetooth for hands-free phone use. This technology is simple, effective and ubiquitous. But I couldn't give a rats a$$ about displaying which Pandora station and song I'm listening to on my HUD display that I can't really see anyway because I'm wearing polarized Ray-Bans. Will Pandora even be in business 5 years from now? How about 2 years from now to the majority of us who lease? who knows...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post
Good point about VA. In the close to 7 years I've had the car, we've probably endured about one big snow storm per year. Every time that happens, I curse myself for not getting xdrive - so while it happens relatively infrequently (aside from the 2010 snowpacalyspe year); I do want the assurance that I'm not going to fishtail making a right turn at 5 mph in 1/2" snow. The RWD is 100% useless in snow.... and yes, I could also solve this by getting snow tires.

BTW - isn't DHP the same as sport suspension? Or are you referring to the default sport suspension in the Sportline? Aside from that, every other sport suspension is part of the DHP, right?
Dynamic handling package is a separate suspension. In x-drive cars it is not lowered 10mm like it is in the sport version of DHP but other than ride height they are basically the same suspension as far as I know.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Just got back from the dealer after a 328xi test drive. Few thoughts related to the original post here:

1) The turbo 4L engine pulls nicely and the turbo lab was virtually unnoticeable. However coming from my 325i E90, I wasn't blown away by the power and acceleration. Was expecting a bit more from a 60 Torque and 25 HP boost (from my car). That being said, it IS powerful.

2) The F30 feels considerable bigger coming from my E90. I felt like I was peering "over" the hood - even with my seat jacked up and I'm 6'0".

3) Tons of body lean when cornering quickly. The dealer didn't have a an xi with DHP so that probably had alot to do with it. I'll overlook this for now. But I definitely feel more "in control" in my current E90 (no sport package but no Xdrive either in my current car)

4) HUD - I purposely asked to drive a car with tech package so I could test the HUD display. I wear polarized Oakleys - without sunglasses, the display is bright and clear. With the glasses on however, even when the HUD is cranked up the max setting, it's pretty dim. I can see it, but it's not bright and not that easy to see. I was slightly disappointed.

5) Interior is nice. All the finishes and trims IMO are a slight step above my E90. Creature comforts galore with the integrated bluetooth, driver coded controls, etc - big improvement in luxury over E90.

6) All-season run flats are 180 degree difference from my E90 factory installed (noisy, rough, borderline unbearable). Smooth, quiet - worlds better on the F30.

I didn't have time to test drive the 335, will do that next time. I'm on the fence about the tech package. The HUD with polarized SGs is an issue and I know it gives you Itunes, Nav and Speed info on the display which is nice, but not sure it's worth the $$. I've never had NAV in any car (just buy the $100 portable ones) and I've gotten by. I can order BMW apps as a $250 option - so really not sure at this point. Overall, I was slightly disappointed by my 328xi test drive but I will go back and drive one with the DHP just to be sure. It's a nice car, but was looking for a little more. I am looking forward to the 335 test drive. Either way, I am BMW for life at this point, so I'm sure I'll be ordering something.
Just FYI, I too wore Polarized Oakleys and found I could simply swap out the Lenses I had with a non-polarized version, and now the HUD works fantastic, and to be honest the difference between the two lenses is negligible for glare and flares. And I was able to get the exact same lenses other than the polarization. I keep the bag in my car with the other lenses if I ever feel I need to change them and it isnt exactly a hard or long process to do so.

You have it lucky with Oakley. I feel bad for the Maui Jim and Ray-ban guys that dont have the easy swap technology
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
Just FYI, I too wore Polarized Oakleys and found I could simply swap out the Lenses I had with a non-polarized version, and now the HUD works fantastic, and to be honest the difference between the two lenses is negligible for glare and flares. And I was able to get the exact same lenses other than the polarization. I keep the bag in my car with the other lenses if I ever feel I need to change them and it isnt exactly a hard or long process to do so.

You have it lucky with Oakley. I feel bad for the Maui Jim and Ray-ban guys that dont have the easy swap technology
Yep, I have non-polarized lenses also and can swap out easily. I switched to polarized about 5 years ago though and have never switched back. For me personally, I do notice a big difference in glare between non-polarized and polarized so I highly prefer polarized.

I have yet to test drive the 335 yet but as of now I'm leaning towards:

335xi
M Sport
DHP
Heated Seats
BMW Apps
Maybe Premium (I only want CA but not sure its worth getting the leather seats too)

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
I just don't see the value in a $2,500 option when:
- you can't see the HUD wearing polarized sunglasses
- the navigation system is rendered obsolete by a typical smartphone (iOS6 users excepted
I didn't either but did get the NAV which give you everything but the HUD. I love it, nice big screen, great enhance bluetooth, can't complain. Bottom line every singly NAV system out there is way overpized when compared to what you get in the handhelds.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
I attended "Preview" night at the LA Auto Show yesterday. I spent some time touching and feeling various models:

My original opinion that the F30's interior is a step down from the E90 stands. The materials are cheaper in spots, most notably on the center console. I also find the design of the dash to be less...elegant. There was an M-Sport 535i sitting right next to the F30s at the BMW display and what I can say is that the F10 interior is MAGNIFICENT. The gap in interior quality between an E60 and an E90 wasn't all that great but the difference between F10 and F30 is enormous.
Prefer the F30 interior ergonomics to the E90 any day. Can't really comment on the materials. E90 materials got pretty bad during the de-contenting phase, but your car is from before that started happening.

Agree on the comment with regard to the F10. The F30 interior is near-identical to the F20.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I didn't either but did get the NAV which give you everything but the HUD. I love it, nice big screen, great enhance bluetooth, can't complain. Bottom line every singly NAV system out there is way overpized when compared to what you get in the handhelds.
and you can always use the Google Local Search on your iphone and then send the address to your car. Get the best of both worlds.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

The #1 feature of the Nav for me is the free FM traffic that can be displayed on the nav mini map in split view.

On my morning commute I used to check traffic on my iPhone before getting into the car, and then as I got into more congested areas I would be fiddling around with the phone re-checking it.

With the BMW I have a bird's eye view of the traffic situation during my entire commute and it is relatively accurate. It has even saved my ass a few times when I saw a huge traffic jam up ahead (solid block of red going for over a mile is a dead giveaway) and was able to detour.

In a lease the tech package costs something like $35 a month. For me personally it's money well spent for all of the tech toys I get at that price. Perhaps if I was planning on keeping the car long term I would have a different opinion.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
I'm still surprised that they didn't go to a google platform (like audi) for the NAV system. I do like how the nav switches to night mode automatically.

In a phrase, better than my E90 in many ways. The pickup on that 8 speed auto is quite impressive. I am also a tech gadget guy, so without question I will have to get everything, The roads here suck, so sport package of any type is out of the question.

I had a F30 328 for 4 days on loaner (damn rodents). I'm pretty sure I will consider borrowing (lease) one of these in the next year or so. Although my wife keeps bugging about a X-vehicle.

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 12-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
and you can always use the Google Local Search on your iphone and then send the address to your car. Get the best of both worlds.
+1

I use the BMW Remote app, tap the Google Local Search, use my voice to say "White Castle, Rutherford, New Jersey", it pops up, I tap "send to vehicle", done.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
+1

I use the BMW Remote app, tap the Google Local Search, use my voice to say "White Castle, Rutherford, New Jersey", it pops up, I tap "send to vehicle", done.

BJ
My app keeps crashing when I try to send to vehicle. It worked first try but not since. Do you delete the message after it is sent? That is the only thing I could think is causing the problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
My app keeps crashing when I try to send to vehicle. It worked first try but not since. Do you delete the message after it is sent? That is the only thing I could think is causing the problem.
No, my BMW Remote app never crashes. Four ideas:

1. You have too many apps running in the background. Double-click the Home button, shows all your open apps, press/hold until the "X" appears and they jiggle, close them all.

2. You have a weak 4G connection and the app is asking for too much data and its shutting down.

3. The app is slightly corrupted and needs to be deleted and reinstalled.

4. You need to clear your iPhone's RAM by pressing the Home button and the Backlight button at the same time and keep pressing both until the screen goes black and the white apple appears.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
On my morning commute I used to check traffic on my iPhone before getting into the car, and then as I got into more congested areas I would be fiddling around with the phone re-checking it.

With the BMW I have a bird's eye view of the traffic situation during my entire commute and it is relatively accurate. It has even saved my ass a few times when I saw a huge traffic jam up ahead (solid block of red going for over a mile is a dead giveaway) and was able to detour.
+1 Recently I've started using the map display at 0.5m zoom and I get a very accurate display of traffic for my commute. HUD gives detailed info for turns. I don't really detour based on this but I find traffic much less aggravating if I know the conditions beforehand.

Also it sometimes notifies me of an accident ahead with a special warning in NAV and HUD which is also very handy.

It's an expensive option but I don't think phones work very well for in-car navigation and portable units are a pain as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
In Canada, the nav system comes only as a package costing an extra $3500. On top of that it doesn't even monitor traffic. The HUD is an additional $1500.
As far as the HUD / polarized glasses issue, it's light projected on to the windshield. Thats what polarized sunglasses are designed to get rid so it figures.
I'm glad I didn't test drive a f30 with the HUD because I probably would have been suckered into an extra 5k and still using my Android phone :P
The interior seems so ridiculously well made but I'm coming from an 06 RSX, so take that with a grain of salt..
Oh and BTW I like to perch my Galaxy s3 in front of the lcd screen as well. The only problem with that is when you punch the gas hard enough, that S3 launches off.. I'm going to look into some way/place to mount it that hopefully doesn't look like crap or get in the way..

Chiba

Last edited by chiba; 12-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
In Canada, the nav system comes only as a package costing an extra $3500. On top of that it doesn't even monitor traffic. The HUD is an additional $1500.
As far as the HUD / polarized glasses issue, it's light projected on to the windshield. Thats what polarized sunglasses are designed to get rid so it figures.
I'm glad I didn't test drive a f30 with the HUD because I probably would have been suckered into an extra 5k and still using my Android phone :P
The interior seems so ridiculously well made but I'm coming from an 06 RSX, so take that with a grain of salt..
Oh and BTW I like to perch my Galaxy s3 in front of the lcd screen as well. The only problem with that is when you punch the gas hard enough, that S3 launches off.. I'm going to look into some way/place to mount it that hopefully doesn't look like crap or get in the way..

Chiba
Maybe a little bit of Velcro as a mount?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:

Oakley holbrooks are the bomb. Hud comes and goes but im not always stating at it. Sometimes i dont even notice it without my polarized glasses. What annoys me more about polarized glasses are lcd screens on coffe makers - it looks like someone smashed thhe screen. And on mu iphone and other ppls windshields it has that gasoline hologram look. Al that is annoying. Hud being dim is much less annoying.

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Oakley holbrooks are the bomb. Hud comes and goes but im not always stating at it. Sometimes i dont even notice it without my polarized glasses. What annoys me more about polarized glasses are lcd screens on coffe makers - it looks like someone smashed thhe screen. And on mu iphone and other ppls windshields it has that gasoline hologram look. Al that is annoying. Hud being dim is much less annoying.
I had forgotten about that fun gasoline hologram look. That is a great description of it. That is reason enough to switch out the polarized lenses.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: '12 BMW 328, '11 Audi Q5
Dark glasses, polarized or not, together with a light colored cement road surface, even if cranked up high, makes the HUD close to useless. I love the feature though and it was one of the buying points.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Yoyo Mama

For some reason, I was expecting more from HUD. It just looked sparse - speed info and nav instructions. I guess if you have the Driver Assistance package, it also shows those features. But for $3100 - an overpriced NAV and an underwhelming HUD just doesn't seem worth it.

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
For some reason, I was expecting more from HUD. It just looked sparse - speed info and nav instructions. I guess if you have the Driver Assistance package, it also shows those features. But for $3100 - an overpriced NAV and an underwhelming HUD just doesn't seem worth it.
Incoming Phone Caller-ID Notifications
Radio Station Presets
iPod Track Listings
Warning Notifications
Cruise Control Data

The HUD does a lot more than just speed and navigation. And as already pointed out, you get the full-sized LCD which is the centerpiece of the dash, enhanced Bluetooth and enhanced USB which is critical for advanced telephony, streaming, and texting, and BMW Assist For emergencies, remote door unlocking, location finder, and emailing addresses straight into the navigation system.

I'd argue that it's a steal for the money.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:
I had forgotten about that fun gasoline hologram look. That is a great description of it. That is reason enough to switch out the polarized lenses.
Yep but on really sunny days it gets rid of all the glare. Someone spilled gasoline on your windshield!!

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)