Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Didn't get the dynamic handling package... How much did I miss out?

My car is a 2013 328i Sport Line MT, which has the M Sport Suspension

Kinda wish it had the dynamic handling package, since it's only 1k

Not like I had much choice... It was difficult enough to find a stick shift with the others options I wanted...

So did I really miss out? Is it worth having it installed?

Last edited by otonimus; 11-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
You have the sport suspension, which is just fine. With the ZDH you can set an array of Sport mode settings and the car will remember them. Without it you don't have as many Sport mode settings and if you make adjustments to the Sport mode settings they are lost when you exit sport mode. You can't add ZDH after the fact. Enjoy your car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post

Not like I had much choice... It was difficult enough to find a stick shift with the others options I wanted...

If you do not have an issue with ride quality on poor surfaces with the sport suspension you should be fine.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
sadly, you're missing out on a lot. When i had my first f30 with sport suspension, I thought it was very good performance wise, but quite harsh all around, especially on bumpy surfaces. i was actually surprised at how uncomfortable the ride was as I drove more, especially since my previous Mercedes with coilovers on stiffest settings was much better. Not what i expected for a $50k+ lux-sport sedan! I was certainly disappointed overall with the ride quality (my wife always complained how uncomfortable the ride was.) and considering I have driven many cars on various aftermarket sport suspension systems, this stock sport suspension just didn't do it for me. the car overall was excellent tho (minus the vibrating steering)!

I ended up trading in for an M sport with DHP and VSS, and man what a difference. I felt like I was diving 2 completely different cars. Dampening was supple over bumps and undulations in comfort mode, and nice and firm in sport. it keeps the car flat and in control,and does not toss you around over bumps like the standard sport setup. It def gives the feeling of a more luxurious/sporty ride commensurate with the german luxury price tag! Perfect combo for driving around town with the family, and then some high speed blasts on the freeway or in the twisty roads. The ability to tailor the dynamic settings too is really nice as I like driving with stiffer chassis settings, but not always with the touchy throttle. Worth every penny of the $1k price tag imho!

if i were you and your miles are low,I'd scour around and see if you can find one to trade with. you wont be sorry you did!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerswld34 View Post
sadly, you're missing out on a lot. When i had my first f30 with sport suspension, I thought it was very good performance wise, but quite harsh all around, especially on bumpy surfaces. i was actually surprised at how uncomfortable the ride was as I drove more, especially since my previous Mercedes with coilovers on stiffest settings was much better. Not what i expected for a $50k+ lux-sport sedan! I was certainly disappointed overall with the ride quality (my wife always complained how uncomfortable the ride was.) and considering I have driven many cars on various aftermarket sport suspension systems, this stock sport suspension just didn't do it for me. the car overall was excellent tho (minus the vibrating steering)!

I ended up trading in for an M sport with DHP and VSS, and man what a difference. I felt like I was diving 2 completely different cars. Dampening was supple over bumps and undulations in comfort mode, and nice and firm in sport. it keeps the car flat and in control,and does not toss you around over bumps like the standard sport setup. It def gives the feeling of a more luxurious/sporty ride commensurate with the german luxury price tag! Perfect combo for driving around town with the family, and then some high speed blasts on the freeway or in the twisty roads. The ability to tailor the dynamic settings too is really nice as I like driving with stiffer chassis settings, but not always with the touchy throttle. Worth every penny of the $1k price tag imho!

if i were you and your miles are low,I'd scour around and see if you can find one to trade with. you wont be sorry you did!
If that's the case, then I'm glad I saved my $1k

I really like a firm ride. Prior to this car, my favorite car was a '99 A4 2.8 Sport, further dropped about .75" with Bilstein Neuspeeds and the stock sport springs. Wheels were 17's. Quite firm.

Awesome setup, daily driver here in Providence RI. Loved that car.

So I don't need the ride to be softer, thus I'm glad I didn't pay for the DH.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I read a review I think in CAR magazine of the M135i where they said Comfort mode had the best steering feel and handling - dunno if that's cause of the crappy UK roads or what, but it's interesting.

It's probably one of those things, if you don't have it you won't miss it.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM

If youre happy with the standard sport suspension than thats great! However, the M Adaptive sport setting is firmer than the standard sport suspension. So if a firmer ride is what youre after, the DHP was the way to go. I like a firm ride too, which is why i have upgraded some of the sport sedans Ive owned to some sort of sport setup.

95 Volvo 850 R - Koni yellows with R springs
03 Audi A4 - Bilstein sports, H&R race springs, Neuspeed sways F&R
05 MB C230 - Bilstein BTS kit then upgraded to full Bilstein Pss9 kit with H&R Sways

What I was most disappointed about the sport suspension was the the dampening of the bumps, not so much the firmness of the ride. Every bump or manhole cover echoed a loud thud through the cabin and just didnt feel refined. Im sure the RFT tires played some role in that but for me, I wasnt happy. With the DHP, i get much better dampening and ride control, as well as a very firm chassis when i want it. the softer comfort ride works well for the kids and wife...

Just my 2 cents. enjoy your new ride! the F30 is one hell of a car! maybe upgrade to the M performance suspension if you really want a firm setup?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
DHP is more essential if you're getting a variant that doesn't come with the sport suspension but still want the improved handling. For instance, I'd say DHP is vital if you want the best handling on an xDrive since no xDrive comes with the sport suspension, not even Sport or M Sport lines.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM

The m sport suspension feels great to me, a good all around do everything balance (to my bu*t, anyways). So I have no regrets. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM

704 suspension is great. i love mine.

you cant program DH to stiff setting in eco pro, and becuase of that it was an immediate deal breaker to me.

I want a stif suspension regardless of what driving mode i am in. and i want a stiff suspension all the time. 704 m suspension was a no brainer and i love it.

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

ditto
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

YES, on 100% of it.

Do you have a way to install it?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
I dind't get it so I can feel a lot when it hits a bump in the road
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
YES, on 100% of it.
Ummm... no

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Once I understood what it is, I realized I have no desire for it.... I have no desire for the suspension to be any softer or firmer, in any conditions, so therefore I simply don't need it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Ummm... no

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Once I understood what it is, I realized I have no desire for it.... I have no desire for the suspension to be any softer or firmer, in any conditions, so therefore I simply don't need it.
I think you are confusing 'firm' with stiffness. The M adaptive suspension on sport setting is FIRMER yet more SUPPLE than the sport suspension. It's the single best upgrade on my car, and my car is pretty well loaded out.

M adaptive gives you the best of both worlds. Awesome firm suspension but none of that jarring or rattle-board feeling that you get from many firm suspension setups.

The only way to know if you are 'missing out' is to go and drive a car with adaptive-m in the different modes and try it out for yourself. Your commenting that you don't think you missed out because of what people are saying is not the same as driving the car yourself.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
704 suspension is great. i love mine.

you cant program DH to stiff setting in eco pro, and becuase of that it was an immediate deal breaker to me.

I want a stif suspension regardless of what driving mode i am in. and i want a stiff suspension all the time. 704 m suspension was a no brainer and i love it.
You live in FL. I'm pretty sure you'd change your tune if you lived in one of the urban areas of the North East. How much I like my sport suspension (which is not adjustable) depends entirely on the environment that I'm driving in. In rural areas (or cities with good roads), the suspension is sublime. But when driving in the city, the constant banging, rumbling noises, and trying to dodge around all the manhole covers becomes tiresome. Having the ability to switch would be great.

I would add that stock for stock, my 2009 is much better than my 2006 was, even with RFT. Not sure about the new F30. I heard it's even better yet.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Your commenting that you don't think you missed out because of what people are saying is not the same as driving the car yourself.
Agreed. I'd love to try one.

In the meantime, I'm going to just be happy with the M Sport suspension. It doesn't feel too stiff (or firm lol), and I live in Providence RI.

No regrets
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I'd love to try one.

In the meantime, I'm going to just be happy with the M Sport suspension. It doesn't feel too stiff (or firm lol), and I live in Providence RI.

No regrets
Nice. I tried it. Didn't need it.

Not to mention what people don't seem to understand.

YOU CAN NOT USE THE STIFF SETTING IN ECO PRO
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
YOU CAN NOT USE THE STIFF SETTING IN ECO PRO
Enough said. I like using ECO PRO on the highway, and wouldn't want it to go all soft.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Eco Pro.

Ha Ha.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM

On long boring stretches of highway I like ECO Pro. Why not save a little gas? But I still also want the crisp handling for lane changes. Make sense?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

eco pro does nearly nothing on the highway. In a 50 mile drive it showed I returned an extra 1 mile or so of range. The only time I see any point of turning it on is when in heavy traffic when the sluggish throttle map and tendancy to upshift early will save real fuel, during which the handling of the car doesn't matter a nit. To each their own though.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
One detraction of the DHP is you can out drive it if you push the car beyond the algorithms compensation- EG: fast switch backs + unsettling driving conditions + a combination of driving techniques. DHP is ideal for non-aggressive drivers that only push the car below 7/10ths; now if you don't know what this means google driving 10/10ths.

However, the M performance suspension solves this issue by upgrading the shocks/struts then disabling DHP if your car has it when installed.

Last edited by av98; 11-29-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
The only time I see any point of turning it on is when in heavy traffic when the sluggish throttle map and tendancy to upshift early will save real fuel, during which the handling of the car doesn't matter a nit.
Depends on how heavy the traffic. For daily city traffic here in Providence I love the sport suspension. Dodging cars and potholes is so damn fun in this car. Wouldn't want it to be softer.

However, under these very same conditions I can't stand the sluggish throttle response of ECO...

...annnnnnnd bummer that ECO isn't better on the highway. Didn't know that. My enthusiasm for ECO is quickly waning.

Anyways, I think I bought the right car
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Swedish Murder Machine