Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Checking oil level on '07 X3 - cluster indictor confusion

I have an '07 X3 with the 3.0Si engine and have gotten conflicting information from (3) different Bimmer dealers on checking and verifying the oil indicator readings for engine oil level in the instrument cluster. (BTW - I think BMW is nuts not putting a dipstick in)

Anyway, drove the vehicle for a while to be sure it was up to full operating temperature, and while it was still running, pushed the button in the cluster on right which is next to the trip reset button. A display pops up for oil level and a bracket begins to move from left to right. After a few seconds it stops moving, then disappears and the only thing that comes up is an "O" to the right of the oil level bar graph.

One dealer that looked at this in operation told me that the "O" displayed means that I am down 1 quart and I should add a quart and recheck it. Of course they offered to put their overpriced oil in, however instead I went home and added 1 quart of 5w-30 synthetic, started the vehicle and rechecked the level indicator. Same thing, same reading, just and "O" is displayed after level check cycles thru its paces.

This is where I am now confused. Reluctent to just start adding more oil, I decided to check and research on the net. One site indicated that the "O" means that the oil is overfilled. I hope not, if thats the case I was already overfilled and added another quart based on the dealer's advise!

I then called (2) other different BMW dealers and got different responses from them. My understanding is that once the bracket stops moving it should stop somewhere on the graph to indicate where the oil level it is at, and additionally if its at a safe level an "ok" should be displayed. I get none of this, the moving bracket disappears and just the "O" is displayed.

Before going through this process, and possibly adding an illadvised extra quart of oil, I had NO oil warning light, either yellow or red. (another dealer told me I would get a "yellow" oil light if I was down 1 quart and a "red" oil light if I was down 2 or more quarts) Since I have only had this vehicle for a few months, I was just concerned about checking the oil level to be sure.

So, here's the question: am I still low on oil, am I way overfilled, or is my oil check indicator malfunctioning??

Also, does anyone know of, or ever heard of a way to add a dipstick on this engine?
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Quote:
(another dealer told me I would get a "yellow" oil light if I was down 1 quart and a "red" oil light if I was down 2 or more quarts)
This is correct. All of this should be described in the Owners Manual.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Don't add any more oil. You are overfilled. O is for overfill. OK is what you want to see next to the fill level bars on the indicator. You will see a 1 if you need to add a quart. You will also get the yellow indicator lamp with a beep if you are 1 quart low.

At this point you are more than 1quart over filled and should probably drain some oil out.

My 2008 takes about 6.5 quarts to fill.
If you are a DIYer, you can get Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40 European formula, BMW LL-01 approved, 5quart jugs for around $27 at Walmart. It is a bit cheaper than the oil from the dealer.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 PM

Thanks al_macaroni, that's what I was afraid of, but at least I know for sure now. I'll see how easily I can remove some oil without letting it all drain out.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0si 2007
On the X3, when you are overfill normally you see the fill level bar full with one extra notch to the right that is blinking.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0si 2007
From the manual:

4 is overfill, looking at it it might look like a 0, but it's not, the level is full and it show one extra notch to the right to say it is over full.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM

Thanks hyksos, that's good information to have, alas it would have been nice to have beforehand, but the previous owner did not supply the owners manual with my purchase...
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
FYI - You can go to the BMW USA website and download a PDF of the manual

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx
Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Great, thanks Chdlerwnabmr!