Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: A few cars
Changed wheels and a few other things.

I installed new wheels, tires, black grille and running boards in April and May of 2014. I also painted my muffler and installed new OEM exhaust tips. I am getting back into BMX racing so, I just recently had time to take photos to share.

FYI: The wheels are BMW Style 150, 19x8.5, 46mm offset at all four corners. The tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons. They are all 255/40/19s. I spent a lot of time trying to decide on a wheel and tire combo. I chose this set up because I wanted to stay as close to an OEM look as possible. I wanted a staggered look without the transfer case headaches, so I chose all front wheels and all rear tires. I then added 15mm H&R spacers to the rear hubs. I think it has a nice staggered appearance. I could have gone with wider rear spacers, but I decided to be a bit conservative. I also could have added 10mm spacers in the front, but I decided against that. The front tires clear the struts by about 10mm. Nothing rubs or bottoms out. Everything works great.

I posted so many pics because I know when I was contemplating possible combos, I searched everywhere and found very few examples. So, I hope this helps anyone who may be searching for a wheel and tire combo.

BTW, I really like the tires. They are very quiet and seem to be wearing very well after 6,000 miles. 255s in the front really bring this car under control. I am going to throw snow tires on my 17s this winter. I sold my BMW Style 192s. They were poorly powder coated and looked really bad after only a year. Also, the Style 150s are lighter than the Style 192s by roughly 2 to 3 lbs. each.

As a reminder, I have Bilstein struts and shocks and Eibach springs.

I hope you enjoy the photos. Comments are welcome. I'll answer questions as quickly as I can.

Last edited by derSpeed; 09-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
looks really nice
Old 09-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Wow that is sharp.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Several Qs via PM:
Yes, they are 255s Verde All Seasons all around.
As of today, they have 8,000 miles and very quiet. They really make a difference in comfort.
The grille is aftermarket, but just as nice as OE.
The muffler was painted with Rustoleum High Heat paint and primer. When I was scuffing the muffler it actually started to look polished. It would have taken more time than I have to polish it.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0 Si
Awesome job. Do you mind giving detailed cost breakdown?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwa View Post
Awesome job. Do you mind giving detailed cost breakdown?
Thanks. I did everything over the course of several months, so I can't really recall all costs. I can assure you, all the items can be found online.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Wow you have done a great job!

Out of curiosity where did you find the aluminum running bords? I have been looking but I never seen a kit for sale.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Thank you, lahiru97. The kit in the first link below looks a lot like the one I bought and it costs a lot less. I know they are OE quality too. I have seen several. Everything you need is included. Give yourself a few hours for installation. Now that I have installed a couple kits, I can do it pretty quickly. Two tips - 1) You do not need to remove the entire rear fender trim. You only need to remove the front rivet. Also, buy extra rivets and a plastic rivet gun. 2) Loosely install the aluminum steps until you get the rocker trim covers in place. Then tighten the aluminum steps. That is the hardest part of the install. Click the second link for installation instructions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-10-BMW-X3...2dbfb4&vxp=mtr

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page.../RBF/RBFX3.pdf

Last edited by derSpeed; 11-13-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by derSpeed View Post
The kit in the first link below looks a lot like the one I bought and it costs a lot less. I know they are OE quality too. I have seen several. Everything you need is included. Give yourself a few hours for installation. Now that I have installed a couple kits, I can do it pretty fast. Two tips - 1) You do not need to remove the entire rear fender trim. You only need to remove the front rivet. Also, buy extra rivets and a plastic rivet gun. 2) Loosely install the aluminum steps until you get the rocker trim covers in place. Then tighten the aluminum steps. That is the hardest part of the install. Click the second link for installation instructions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-10-BMW-X3...2dbfb4&vxp=mtr

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page.../RBF/RBFX3.pdf

Thanks I have actualy stayed away from the eBay kits since I was not sure how the fitment would be but I'll take your word for it and get a set.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahiru97 View Post
Thanks I have actualy stayed away from the eBay kits since I was not sure how the fitment would be but I'll take your word for it and get a set.
I have had three in my hands. The only real issue I noticed was that some had scuff marks on the black plastic. A seller from Cali offered a nice set. A seller from New York sent me a real battered set. He exchanged them though. He has an actual truck parts store. You have to accept that they are going to get scuffed from normal wear and tear. I think for a $600.00 savings, it is not a big issue. I got really nice set.

One more installation tip. Mask the car's rockers and bottoms of your doors before you start fitting the aluminum. You may scratch your paint. Also, during installation, mask the black plastic rocker that surrounds the aluminum to avoid gouges. That aluminum step is almost as dangerous as a machete until it is screwed to the support brace. It will be clear when you see the running boards.