Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.0d
Thumbs down Cooling fan

Toady I checked out a strange noise from the front of the X3. With the engine running I noticed that the electric cooling fan is not running unless the Air Con is switched on.
1. Is there a possible cause for this strange nocking sound? 2.0d RSA model
2. Is it normal for the electric fan not to be running with engine idling? Heat gauge stays within normal range.

Thanks for the advice.

Blessings
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORDO View Post
Toady I checked out a strange noise from the front of the X3. With the engine running I noticed that the electric cooling fan is not running unless the Air Con is switched on.
1. Is there a possible cause for this strange nocking sound? 2.0d RSA model
2. Is it normal for the electric fan not to be running with engine idling? Heat gauge stays within normal range.

Thanks for the advice.

Blessings
Your fan shouldnt stay running at all times so it perfectly normal. When you kick your ac on the fan cuts on to to blow through the condenser as part of you ac system. The cooling fan should only click on when the engine reaches a particular temp, but if it never clicks on then you would have issues but with it not over heating at idle then your good. That means its working. You might just not be waiting long enough to see it click on.

The knocking sound I only hear in mine wheN the ac or heat is going. There is a thread here some where that explains it but I cant remember exactly what it was.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Red face

Thanks for your reply, now I am at ease.

Blessings
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Talking

Electric cooling fan now fixed. Pulled out fuse, cleaned contacts with sandpaper and replaced it. Fan now running again. Thank you for the advice.

Discovered that electric socket in luggage compartment not working. Uses same fuse as cigarette lighter. Both cigarette lighters working. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Blessings

Hi

My joy was short lived with electric radiator fan. Local mac send me to auto electrician who could not diagnose reason for electric radiator fan not kicking in. Local Mac said that if 1 radiator hose stays cool while the other 1 is hot it indicates problems with thermostat. Both mine are hot at normal temperature.

Auto electrician was afraid to test green wire running to fan with red one. he claims that it usually blows computer box.

Blessings.

Last edited by SHORDO; 07-04-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Start with a multimeter. Is there 12V from the vehicle chassis to the centre of the cig lighter? Is the GND resistance low from the chassis of the vehicle to the chassis of the cig lighter?