Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si [e83]
DIY: 07 BMW X3 3.0si [E83] Actuator Gasket Replacement

If you smell burning oil coming from your engine and its not leaking underneath, chances are you'll need to replace the "actuator gasket". This is fairly simple and inexpensive to replace. The actuator is located on the top passenger-side of the engine block.

The actuator gasket is an oval-shaped gasket. Below is a link of the part:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...36&hg=11&fg=15

Luckily my local BMW dealer had the part in stock. I think it cost me approximately $35.00.

This job will only require the use of regular socket and torx bit sockets and kex / Allen keys.

Make sure the engine is cool when doing this.

If you decide to proceed with the DIY, know that it is not a time-consuming job. At most it'll take a few hours of your time.

**** I assume no responsibility for any other issues. Proceed at your own risk!

Step 1. [Image 1] Remove Engine Cover / Ignition coil cover using hex/allen key.

Step 2. [Image 2] Now that the cover is removed, you'll see the Actuator, coil pack rail and plugs. I believe the actuator is held in by two bolts (can't remember the size / pattern). I found the easiest way to remove the actuator was to remove the coil plugs and coil pack rail.

*** If you remove the coil plugs, please make sure you remember where each one was removed from as they should be placed back in their original locations!!!! ****

Step 3. [Image 3] Remove the coil pack rail & coil plugs. Once these are out of the way, you should be able to remove the actuator with ease.

Step 4. [Image 4] This is what it looks like once you've removed the actuator, coil plugs and coil pack rail. Notice how the engine-oil pooled up in the reservoirs between the coil plugs!
I would highly recommend covering the spark plug openings with tape to keep them clean. I used paper towel to absorb all of the oil that had spilled through.

Step 5. Replace the actuator gasket with the new one and put everything back in reverse order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Cover.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	351261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Actuator01.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	351262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Actuator02.JPEG
Views:	271
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	351263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Actuator03.JPEG
Views:	303
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	351264  
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Great write up! It's now on my list to check as this one I didn't know about.

What lead you to this diagnosis and what milage is you n52 motor at?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Great write up! It's now on my list to check as this one I didn't know about.

What lead you to this diagnosis and what milage is you n52 motor at?
My girlfriend kept complaining that she smelt burnt oil so I checked underneath the engine and didn't see any oil leaks. I also checked our driveway and there were no oil spots on the floor so I figured it may be the valve cover gasket. It wasn't until I removed the engine cover and coil pack rail that I realized it was actually leaking from the "actuator".
Also, it turns out the BMW dealer here keeps these in stock since its a fairly common issue.
Ever since I cleaned up the pooled oil and replaced this gasket, the smell of burnt oil has gone away. I believe I may have replaced it at approximately 60,000 - 62,000 miles.

Whats funny is I ordered a valve cover gasket online thinking that was the problem, now I have it stocked for when its actually needed.

Last edited by cagui1223; 11-28-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Correcting grammatical error X2
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Thanks for the instructions. I don't know much about the n52, what this actuator is supposed to do? M54s don't have that.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Thanks for the instructions. I don't know much about the n52, what this actuator is supposed to do? M54s don't have that.
My guess is it's valvetronic
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Funny you should ask that because it never occurred to me to wonder what that device did. I'll have to research it. All I know is a gasket needed replacing and that's what I did.