Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
KW V1 Coilovers question

I just ordered the V1's for my 2012 550i Msport.. I've got the adjustable suspension setting feature where I can adjust my ride firmness from Comfort+ to Sport+

Will I still be able to use this feature with the V1 coilovers installed or is the feature pretty much useless after I install??
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
That feature will no longer work after doing the KW's. You will also need to get the KW control box to eliminate the dash error that you will get after the install since the ecu will be looking for something that isn't there anymore.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
That feature will no longer work after doing the KW's. You will also need to get the KW control box to eliminate the dash error that you will get after the install since the ecu will be looking for something that isn't there anymore.

Alan
Thanks Alan.. what about standard lowering springs as opposed to coilovers?? Would I be able to utilize my vehicles factory adjustable suspension after installing springs?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Yes. I have the DDC option on my car and ACS lowering springs. You still retain all adjustable settings if you only get springs.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Sport
I have ACS lowering springs on my 550ix sport and it is, in my opinion, the best option you can put on the car. I also have Dinan 2. Although I love the extra power, lowering that car is needed more than anything else. I NEVER liked the way the car looked with those big gaps between the tires and the wheel wells. The car just "feels" better.

When I had an occasion to take the car in for a problem a while back, they had to do new coding, which wiped out the Dinan download. I had to drive the car for a couple weeks with the stock power, waiting for Dinan to update its software. With that experience I was able to determine that the lowering springs, without the Dinan, made for a better driving experience than having the Dinan 2 before I lowered it.

Bottom line....put on ACS springs and lower the darn thing. Every time you walk out to the car and see it sitting down where it belongs, you'll be glad you did.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Okay.. I was fortunate enough to be able to cancel my order of the V1's.. I will consider installing springs instead. I've done some research though and it seems like installing these springs is a pain in the ass for body shops so I'm kind of left with the concern of a proper install.. But I will still consider it..

thanks guys
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
I have ACS lowering springs on my 550ix sport and it is, in my opinion, the best option you can put on the car. I also have Dinan 2. Although I love the extra power, lowering that car is needed more than anything else. I NEVER liked the way the car looked with those big gaps between the tires and the wheel wells. The car just "feels" better.

When I had an occasion to take the car in for a problem a while back, they had to do new coding, which wiped out the Dinan download. I had to drive the car for a couple weeks with the stock power, waiting for Dinan to update its software. With that experience I was able to determine that the lowering springs, without the Dinan, made for a better driving experience than having the Dinan 2 before I lowered it.

Bottom line....put on ACS springs and lower the darn thing. Every time you walk out to the car and see it sitting down where it belongs, you'll be glad you did.
Great assessment. I have Dinan 2 but your post sold me on spring. Dinan or ACS and why please...
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
After installing lowering springs, is a suspension re-alignment necessary?