Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 550i F10
After Installation of Cameras - What do you think?

Unfortunately, i did not purchase my F10 with Side- and Top-view and rear view cameras. When i made a test drive at the dealer, they did not have any model with cameras.

I thought myself not to give too much attention to cameras since i felt in the past, that they are not accurate and i will not need them.

However couple weeks later, when i already ordered my car, i checked out the cams and i loved them. Especially the rear view camera with the grids...

Is there a way to install those cameras afterwards? Is my Dealer able to do so?

Any ideas or have you done this before??

Thanks alot..
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
There are plenty of aftermarket options for a rearview camera, but I think you'll be hard pressed to retrofit the other cameras. Also, I can tell you that with use the most useful camera setup is the top view by far. Can you not add them to your order retrospectively?
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 AM

Thank you...
no unfortunately not..the car is already built and in the US !

So no way i can have my dealer or some other technicians have built an OEM (prefer) or aftermarket product?

And if yes, any idea how much this would cost me?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrider View Post
Unfortunately, i did not purchase my F10 with Side- and Top-view and rear view cameras. When i made a test drive at the dealer, they did not have any model with cameras.

I thought myself not to give too much attention to cameras since i felt in the past, that they are not accurate and i will not need them.

However couple weeks later, when i already ordered my car, i checked out the cams and i loved them. Especially the rear view camera with the grids...

Is there a way to install those cameras afterwards? Is my Dealer able to do so?

Any ideas or have you done this before??

Thanks alot..
Cheer up!

http://www.alekshop.com/multimedia
Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 AM

Thanks bfv...

i already saw that website while i researched a bit...

Well, this is definitely an aftermarket solution that seems to work... but it is not really the same..

I remember when i test drove the F10 with cams, the whole thing looked differently..

When you drive back, it showed a grid and showed you, if this driving (e.g. parking) is going to work.... with different colors etc...

i guess everybody knows what i am talking about if you have the cam..

+ this solution only covers the rear camera.. what about the side and top view?

Like i said.. i am fine with paying the original prices of BMW... just wondering if i have to run all cables again or if the wires are pre-installed.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks bfv...

Well, this is definitely an aftermarket solution that seems to work... but it is not really the same..

I remember when i test drove the F10 with cams, the whole thing looked differently..

When you drive back, it showed a grid and showed you, if this driving (e.g. parking) is going to work.... with different colors etc...

Like i said.. i am fine with paying the original prices of BMW... just wondering if i have to run all cables again or if the wires are pre-installed.
I am not sure if OEM BMW cams can be retrofitted. What did your dealer say?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM

If you haven't taken delivery, can you look into the possibility of swapping the car with a new one with dealer? If your car has options/colors that can interest someone, maybe you can order a new one.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
If you haven't taken delivery, can you look into the possibility of swapping the car with a new one with dealer? If your car has options/colors that can interest someone, maybe you can order a new one.
This is by far the best option if it is important to you.

Trying to do it, or some facsimile afterwards sounds like nothing but heartache and despair.

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Did an ED so i cant really cancel the order !

Anyways will wait what my dealer says... if it doesn't work.. i will leave it.. its not that important, but nice to have (too bad i realized it afterwards)..

@RH512
true, thats why i was hoping to get into OEM installation from a BMW Dealer or so, where you don't see the difference...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: Rental :(
Did you ever find out the answer to this? I'm in the same predicament!

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Unfortunately not... have you or anyone else?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Thanks bfv...

BUT, Alekshop rearview camera is awesome! I have it a love it to death. You can customize the display, it works super well with you PDC sensors. Just the whole 9 yards (even better as you can hook up external video source and play videos in motion or anything you want to display on the screen). A bit of a pain to retrofit but works great. Shows lines too btw. Having said that, I too, have driven the top-view model recently and fell in love. I also did not order mine with them. The rearview camera is awesome though, for backing up, probably even safer than top view, really (you can see a lot more behind you on full screen).

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
This is your best bet since you haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet. By law, they can't force you to take delivery. Did you give a deposit when you ordered your current car? If so, they do have the right to keep the deposit but I'm sure your dealer can work something out if you decide to order a new car with the cameras. Talk to your CA.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Wow, the original post is a year old... Lol

DecBoy in most states, and for sure in FL a deposit is 100% refundable.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: e46
any updates to this? wanted PDC / Cameras but also have a problem with instant gratification so when I found a car spec'd with everything but, I took it

had a loaner this weekend with the cams and loved it... I see the Alekshop module with front and rear cameras runs about $700

anybody have it installed? any feedback?