Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
UKBasketBall UKBasketBall is offline
Registered User
Location: KY
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: E60 550i
NBT Navigation Retrofit for E60 (3rd gen iDrive)

Has anyone done a NBT (3rd gen iDrive Navigation) into a E60?

Here is a list of parts needed to retrofit a NBT Navigation Unit in a E60. Please add to this if I am missing anything:

- NBT-HU from F30;
- NBT CID Screen from F30 or F25;
- Touch Controller; OPTIONAL
- Touch ECU; OPTIONAL
- NBT Video Cable;
- USB/Aux Port for armrest;
- USB cable;
- Faceplate for CIC on E60 (front panel buttons); (if car has CIC the actual one can be reused)
- Screen trim for E60; (if car has professional navigation CIC or CCC the actual one can be reused)
- Dash Trim for CIC Headunit for E60
- CIC Center Console Trim from 2010 E60
If you know any part numbers please post them
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 AM
zikas zikas is offline
Registered User
Location: egypt
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: E34 535 TI
that would be cool upgrade but can't you use the E60 CIC display with the NBT??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 AM
ZLTFUL ZLTFUL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WDSM, IA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 234
Send a message via ICQ to ZLTFUL
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
You can shoot these guys an email with your VIN and they will give you a whole list of possible retrofit options for your car.

**No affiliation**

http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...te=common/home
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 PM
themoldestone themoldestone is offline
Registered User
Location: Sofia
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: E60 530xd LCI
There is a guy here in Bulgaria that did it. Below is the link where you can find photos and instructions. Use google translate if needed

http://bmwpower-bg.net/forums/viewto...f=116&t=368605

On the second page in that thread you will find many pics with the results and also a youtube video.

Cheers! _sl_

Last edited by themoldestone; 08-20-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2014, 12:08 PM
TarveN TarveN is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I did it on an E90. An E60 wouldn't be that different except for some trim pieces.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=799458
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
mc_square mc_square is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: E60 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zikas View Post
that would be cool upgrade but can't you use the E60 CIC display with the NBT??
No, CIC display won't work with NBT - must be replaced!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM
mc_square mc_square is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: E60 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBasketBall View Post
Has anyone done a NBT (3rd gen iDrive Navigation) into a E60?

Here is a list of parts needed to retrofit a NBT Navigation Unit in a E60. Please add to this if I am missing anything:

- NBT-HU from F30;
- NBT CID Screen from F30 or F25;
- Touch Controller; OPTIONAL
- Touch ECU; OPTIONAL
- NBT Video Cable;
- USB/Aux Port for armrest;
- USB cable;
- Faceplate for CIC on E60 (front panel buttons); (if car has CIC the actual one can be reused)
- Screen trim for E60; (if car has professional navigation CIC or CCC the actual one can be reused)
- Dash Trim for CIC Headunit for E60
- CIC Center Console Trim from 2010 E60
If you know any part numbers please post them
You are missing the integral part - eNBT Adapter lol
I got mine from here: http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...product_id=107

Starting to do the install now
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 AM
UKBasketBall UKBasketBall is offline
Registered User
Location: KY
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: E60 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_square View Post
You are missing the integral part - eNBT Adapter lol
I got mine from here: http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...product_id=107

Starting to do the install now
Awesome! Please take some pics along the way!! Good Luck, hope the install goes without a hitch.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/p-radden

E60 550i - BSM/Auburn Red
E92 328i xDrive - SG/Black & Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2014, 03:16 PM
wrx5 wrx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: E60 2009 530i
Also tell us about the total cost please. Hope you already know which part won't work such as Nav details on HUD etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:03 AM
mc_square mc_square is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: E60 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx5 View Post
Also tell us about the total cost please. Hope you already know which part won't work such as Nav details on HUD etc.
I don't have HUD, so one less thing to worry about. The climate controls work, but without the graphics, it's ok for me since I use "auto" most of the time. Total cost was just above $3K, including everything (plastics, wiring, parts, iDrive touch controller). Having done this retrofit, I wouldn't go for the cheapest kit out there, and I would certainly not attempt to source all parts individually. This kit is very new, and you need all the support you can get from the people who actually develop the stuff, to get everything running correctly. That's my opinion anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Caesonia Caesonia is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Va
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_square View Post
No, CIC display won't work with NBT - must be replaced!
Interesting, my understanding from the dealer - not the dealer that sold me my car - was that the 2010 E60 has the later version of navigation. It is bigger and more beefy than previous e60s
__________________
Liker is qwiker n so are Beemers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-04-2014, 11:33 AM
98PoleCat's Avatar
98PoleCat 98PoleCat is offline
Master of my domain
Location: KC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 733
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
NBT Navigation Retrofit for E60 (3rd gen iDrive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
Interesting, my understanding from the dealer - not the dealer that sold me my car - was that the 2010 E60 has the later version of navigation. It is bigger and more beefy than previous e60s

NBT is the third version of iDrive available in the 5 series. You have CIC, which is the second version.

Last edited by 98PoleCat; 01-09-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Dallasboy1985's Avatar
Dallasboy1985 Dallasboy1985 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 637
Mein Auto: Bmw E60 535 "10
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1417748360.453029.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	479579
Generations of IDrive
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Dallasboy1985's Avatar
Dallasboy1985 Dallasboy1985 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 637
Mein Auto: Bmw E60 535 "10
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=161508553875

Are the prices gone this down ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2014, 11:44 AM
mc_square mc_square is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: E60 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
Interesting, my understanding from the dealer - not the dealer that sold me my car - was that the 2010 E60 has the later version of navigation. It is bigger and more beefy than previous e60s
For E60 CIC is the latest version of navigation which can be installed from factory originally.
NBT is the latest version of navigation which is installed in F-series from factory.

These guys developed an adapter, which lets you install NBT in E-series. It's pretty cool actually I think any BMW dealer who sees this will want to pinch themselves to make sure they are not sleeping
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 AM
faizantkhan faizantkhan is offline
Registered User
Location: new jersy
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 2007 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarveN View Post
I did it on an E90. An E60 wouldn't be that different except for some trim pieces.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=799458
From where did you get the retrofit adopter ? and how much it cost you? can any retrofit adapter would work ?
I am getting this retrofit adopter that seller is claiming will work with any BMW car ??? could that be possible
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 PM
TarveN TarveN is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I got mine from www.customretrofit.ro

The site owner is an active bmw community member neo_andersson. I can vouch for him. He designed the adapter himself and knows what he's doing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by faizantkhan View Post
From where did you get the retrofit adopter ? and how much it cost you? can any retrofit adapter would work ?
I am getting this retrofit adopter that seller is claiming will work with any BMW car ??? could that be possible
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-17-2015, 03:21 AM
faizantkhan faizantkhan is offline
Registered User
Location: new jersy
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 2007 525i
Thanks for the feedback ..!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-06-2015, 06:42 AM
sabuca10 sabuca10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Singapore
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: X5 E70
hi

i am Sabu , i am going to install NBT to my X5 E70 any one can advise the programming and wiring
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 PM
4copter 4copter is offline
Registered User
Location: S, WA
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Send a message via ICQ to 4copter
Mein Auto: BMW X6
Hi,

I know I should probably be writing this question in the E70/E71 forum, but I did not find much information about NBT retrofit there.
I have X6 with HUD, how is functionality of NBT in E-series?
Everything works? Climate works? HUD works? What about rear-entertainment?
Is installation easy, kdifficult?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 PM
mc_square mc_square is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: E60 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabuca10 View Post
i am Sabu , i am going to install NBT to my X5 E70 any one can advise the programming and wiring
I got my kit programmed by bimmerretrofit, they also supplied all the wiring that I needed for the retrofit. Basically, the stuff you will need will depend on the configuration of your car. For coding you will need to have ENET cable, EDIABAS, Esys or similar.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-16-2015, 10:10 PM
mc_square mc_square is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: E60 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4copter View Post
Hi,

I know I should probably be writing this question in the E70/E71 forum, but I did not find much information about NBT retrofit there.
I have X6 with HUD, how is functionality of NBT in E-series?
Everything works? Climate works? HUD works? What about rear-entertainment?
Is installation easy, kdifficult?
On my car everything works just fine (I don't have HUD though).
Climate works. The guys I got my kit from developed a pretty neat menu that lets you control the climate settings from the iDrive. I did not have rear-entertainment from factory, but I'm actually installing this retrofit now. I got original NBT rear-entertainment system from F-series and will be installing it soon.

If you have the right experience, installation is not difficult, but what makes a difference is having access to professional help when something is not clear.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 PM
TX550 TX550 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 474
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
subscribing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms