Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
2013 Frozen Gray M5 DROPPED on H&R springs

BMW m5 on H&R springs

Turner Motorsport continues their relentless modification pace installing H&R sport springs on their 2013 frozen gray M5. This comes on the heels of installing the carbon fiber Gruppe M intake. This M5 is shaping up to be a one of a kind performance machine and knowing TMS this will be far from the last modifications they do.

Turner Motorsport H&R Sport Spring Review
We installed the H&R Sport Springs on our F10 M5. H&R springs are designed to lower you vehicle to improve handling by lowering the center of gravity, thus decreasing body roll and weight transfer. They also reduce that annoying fender well gap on BMWs with stock suspension. Although the new M5 does come from the factory with a lowered ride height from other F10 5-series it still needed to be a bit lower. We were a bit hesitant to put springs in this car because of how good the stock ride comfort and handling was, the EDC system on this car is fantastic. That being said, H&R springs are the best out there and we knew they could only improve the car. They are one of the first upgrades we perform on any of our project cars from our E92 M3 to our ActiveE Electric 1-series and X3.

The Install:
The install of these springs took approximately 6 hours. It involves removing all four coil over (spring and strut assemblies) from the vehicle. Each coil over plugs into the EDC system which makes the removal and install of the strut assemblies a bit tricky, especially in the rear where you need to access the top of the strut from under the rear deck tray. You must remove the rear speakers and some trim pieces to access the the EDC harness and the 3 bolts holding the strut.

H&R springs installed on F10 M5

The most difficult and time consuming part of doing the spring install is making sure there is ample room to remove the rear strut assemblies without damaging the EDC harness on the strut its self or anything around it like the electronic emergency brake. We found the best way to do this is to disconnect the rear sway bar, remove the rear caliper with electronic emergency brake and disconnect the rear control arms. This gives plenty of room to pull out the coilover strut out of the rear wheel well. Other than that the install is relatively straight forward, the front is basically just like most other BMWs.

The springs lowered the car exactly 1 inch in the front and a little over inch in the rear giving the car a great stance with a small amount of rake. We love the look of the car with the H&R sport springs, just the right amount of lowering giving the car a bit more of an aggressive stance.

Driving Impressions:
The comfort of the ride is virtually unchanged, especially when the EDC is set to comfort mode. You begin to feel the difference when you put the car into sport and it stiffens the dampening. The car is a bit stiffer going over certain bumps and changes in the roadway surface but they are very minor. The body roll is significantly decreased and acceleration and braking feel better. Before you could feel the rear of the car hunch down when on wide open throttle and you could feel the nose drop when threshold braking. Those symptoms of the stock springs seem to be minimized with these H&R springs which makes the car a lot more fun to drive. The steering also feels a bit sharper in all steering modes while still tracking down the road as the stock set up did. Overall we feel these springs are a great fit for any M5, there is very little compromise in stock ride comfort for less body roll and sharper handling. These springs are very well matched to the F10 M5 so if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive but significant improvement in your M5s stance and handling you cannot go wrong with H&R.

Pick up a set of H&R springs for your F10 M5 (or other BMW) from TurnerMotorsport.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs-after.jpg
Views:	7758
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	351400   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs-before.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	351401   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	351402   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	351403   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_3.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	351404  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_4.jpg
Views:	2751
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	351405   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_5.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	351406   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_6.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	351407   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10-M5-lowered-on-HR-sport-springs_7.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	351408  

Last edited by tim330i; 11-30-2012 at 07:46 AM.
More about 2013 Frozen Gray M5 DROPPED on H&R springs

TMS-M5-European-Delivery 1TMS-M5-European-Delivery 2TMS-M5-European-Delivery 3TMS-M5-European-Delivery 4TMS-M5-European-Delivery 5TMS-M5-European-Delivery 6TMS-M5-European-Delivery 7TMS-M5-European-Delivery 8TMS-M5-European-Delivery 9TMS-M5-European-Delivery 10

Ads by Google
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 M5
What is a reasonable installed price for these?

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Maybe 2 or 3 hours, so whatever that is at your local shop. $150 or $200 I'd guess.

Tim
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Maybe 2 or 3 hours, so whatever that is at your local shop. $150 or $200 I'd guess.

Tim
Actually it's closer to 6hrs on the F10 M5 due to EDC and having to disconnect the cables for EDC during the install (ie have to remove the rear shelf and trim etc )
You also want to use a shop which has experience as the rear shelf/trim can easily scratch / be damaged
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea it was that long.