Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Out of curiosity, I went to BMW USA web site to look for a quick summary of the 335is, but didn't find a good quick overview of what makes an 'is' (and I could very well have missed it).

What does an is give you over a regular 335?

Personally, if you don't need an M car, the 335 (in whatever form) probably makes a better daily car...the mpg on an M makes for frequent fuel stops. I mean, not complaining about the cost, which is part and parcel of owning a V8, but sometimes you do wish for a larger fuel tank.
When my wife and I purchased her 335is Coupe I compiled all the information and online reviews that I could find and incorporated them into our European Delivery Blog. IIRC, the car was announced approximately in January 2010 and BMW hosted a driving event at the Estoril racetrack in Portugal. The car was first released approximately in June 2010, so most of the reviews of the car were done between the January 2010 and June 2010 time frame although some "second look" reviews are as late as January 2011.

When you read all of the online reviews, many of which were printed in the magazines that reviewed them, you will see why most of those reviewers would choose the 335is over an M3 for most driving. Bottom line, if you're not planning on tracking an M3, it's a waste for most drivers as they will never realize the full potential of the M3 on the street and they certainly won't realize the performance edge that the M3 has over the 335is Coupe. Personally, we chose the 335is Coupe because we believed it was the better daily driver taking the gas guzzler tax, the decreased mileage, and the increased insurance into consideration. And we track our cars but only 1-2 times a year, whereas my wife drives her car to work every weekday (and sometimes on weekends). Regardless of which model one chooses, both are excellent cars and what is the "best" car for one person is not the best car for everyone and all the debate in the world isn't going to change that.

Here's the page about the 335is from my Euro Delivery blog.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 12-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Did you ask Simon what his street car is?

CA
Unless I misunderstood, I remember his speaking about "his" BMW while driving us around the track and discussing aspects of the M3, while I was enjoying the near-death experience! For some reason, I left with the distinct impression that he drove an M3. Regardless, he made sure to note that the track M3 could not be pushed more than what he did that day. And I understand now what it means to be a good driver and push a car to its limits, which is why some say to invest in driving time and lessons, not endless performance upgrades.

Anyway, what is Simon's street car? I'm curious now!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Grrrrrrrr....my Japanese Yellow Dogs gonna bark....

Find the ultra wide range of camber w/Ground Control's Street/School is, well, educational. By playing with settings, found behavior I didn't know about or expect.

'Course, if we play, we pay. Tires might not last long!
I've been waiting on Vorschlag's newest plates (for use with 60 or 61mm spring perches) to get some wear on the 'other' forums before I pull the trigger. The GC plates for the M are pretty harsh - no insulation at all, just solid cres bushings. The biggest surprises I've had so far came from toying with the rear damping rates on a square setup.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Unless I misunderstood, I remember his speaking about "his" BMW while driving us around the track and discussing aspects of the M3, while I was enjoying the near-death experience! For some reason, I left with the distinct impression that he drove an M3. Regardless, he made sure to note that the track M3 could not be pushed more than what he did that day. And I understand now what it means to be a good driver and push a car to its limits, which is why some say to invest in driving time and lessons, not endless performance upgrades.

Anyway, what is Simon's street car? I'm curious now!
Simons M3 is used as a track car for hot laps and for instruction and coaching for members of The Lime Rock Drivers Club. Interestingly with the exception of Stephanie, who purchased a Lime Rock Edition M3 (She also had a Cayman S, a mini, an Audi Wagon and Spec Miats) and one other member who has an M3 GTS (which is not street legal) I don't know of any other Club members (who get 60 track days per year) who have M3s.

For a while Simon had a 5 Series and after that he had an X5, both with Steptronics. He had often stated that he feels that cars should be "purpose built" and that he has no interest in driving a race car on the street. This holds true for all of the professional racers and coaches that I know. They universally tend to drive rather pedestrian vehicles as daily drivers.

I don't know where you got the idea that he could not push the car harder than he was that day.

Simon had often said that he thinks the M3 is a great car and LRP pace car driver Bob Green (whose daily driver is a Jeep Cherokee) feels the same way. LRP owner Skip Barber recently swapped out his M3 for a 650i.

I agree that investing in driving lessons makes more sense than investing in a higher performance car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-01-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
I asked him flat out to push the M3 to its limits and he said that that was it. Agree that a car should be purpose-built but if the OP needs 1 car as a DD that doubles up as a helluva fun on the track, the M3 is perfect, I suppose so is the 335is but after all, this thread asked for our opinion, which is all I provided.
Hope you're doing well!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
The 335is would make for a better daily driver-no doubt. If it were me I would get the M3.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Its interesting based on the mein car box how many people who said they would have bought the M3 did not actually do it & bought a 3xx instead.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 bimmer 318ti
3 series for a dd ! No need for the suspension and power (gas guzzle) of an m3 as a daily, unless you plan on picking up street races with fixed out civics ....
Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer1995318ti View Post
3 series for a dd ! No need for the suspension and power (gas guzzle) of an m3 as a daily, unless you plan on picking up street races with fixed out civics ....

Not so!!

A distinct pleasure from driveway speed to the limit of your ability, a great suspension delivers every minute of the ride....
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
If it must be one car a PDK Cayman or maybe even 997 should be within your budget. PASM is great too but that make them even harder to find used.

Am not sure who the M3 is aimed at these days. I see the sense in 'chipping' a 335i but the M3 is neither a track car not street car. Flashy, lots of power and sound good but I've not seen many of the current gen at track days.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 12-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Am not sure who the M3 is aimed at these days. I see the sense in 'chipping' a 335i but the M3 is neither a track car not street car. Flashy, lots of power and sound good but I've not seen many of the current gen at track days.
I've seen plenty of E9x M3s at autocrosses and at the track. There's probably a higher percentage of E46 and E30 M3s at the track but that's probably because these were more than likely bought used by younger drivers. As the price for used E9x M3s drops over the next few years I'll bet that you'll see lots of E9x M3s at the track.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I've seen plenty of E9x M3s at autocrosses and at the track. There's probably a higher percentage of E46 and E30 M3s at the track but that's probably because these were more than likely bought used by younger drivers. As the price for used E9x M3s drops over the next few years I'll bet that you'll see lots of E9x M3s at the track.
Most likely. SoCal is special too

We had a guy with a E92 M3 at the local AutoX often. It was easy to spot when he was there as it span out on the majority of laps

When cheap enough we'll see 3,704 lb E92s at the track... being creamed by Corvettes.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
I became a believer in purpose vehicles. I wasn't a believer before buying this car and starting to take lessons on a track. I strongly believe now that a used Jetta TDI is all anybody with heavy foot will ever need in normal traffic in US. That's 15 grand for a vehicle that has at least 200k miles left for commuting.

For a weekend/track days, there are so many choices nowadays that $50,000 (difference to new lightly optioned M3 price) offers a huge range of choices. I also happen to think that, if you don't race wheel to to wheel, Miata has more power than most of us will ever need considering weekend/track car. That's for road courses, of course, people drag racing their cars will have different needs. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't do drag racing (or attempts to it on public roads). No, road course driving is not superior, I would probably crash high power car in a straight line immediately after the start if I wanted to keep up with other car driven by seasoned drag race driver - something I would not do on a corner exit with the same car. Different skills.

So where does that leave an M3? In Germany, where it belongs. Together with 328i, 335i and 335is. If you don't like what I just said, please write to your Congressperson - which will be much more effective to resolve the real issue instead of attacking annonymous dude on the Internets.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Mark K...Way to empty the locker,like it!!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I became a believer in purpose vehicles. I wasn't a believer before buying this car and starting to take lessons on a track. I strongly believe now that a used Jetta TDI is all anybody with heavy foot will ever need in normal traffic in US. That's 15 grand for a vehicle that has at least 200k miles left for commuting.

For a weekend/track days, there are so many choices nowadays that $50,000 (difference to new lightly optioned M3 price) offers a huge range of choices. I also happen to think that, if you don't race wheel to to wheel, Miata has more power than most of us will ever need considering weekend/track car. That's for road courses, of course, people drag racing their cars will have different needs. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't do drag racing (or attempts to it on public roads). No, road course driving is not superior, I would probably crash high power car in a straight line immediately after the start if I wanted to keep up with other car driven by seasoned drag race driver - something I would not do on a corner exit with the same car. Different skills.

So where does that leave an M3? In Germany, where it belongs. Together with 328i, 335i and 335is. If you don't like what I just said, please write to your Congressperson - which will be much more effective to resolve the real issue instead of attacking annonymous dude on the Internets.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
This is Lime Rock Drivers Club coach Jonathan Goring in a Spec Miata
His lap time is faster than nobody but another driver of his level would get in an M3.

This video is of a Spec Miata race.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
NB: 335is drivers say that they can make their car faster than an M3 by modding it...but M3 drivers aren't saying that they can make their car as fast as a chipped 335is by modding it....hmmm, why is that then?

Also available in Alpine White...
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
NB: 335is drivers say that they can make their car faster than an M3 by modding it...but M3 drivers aren't saying that they can make their car as fast as a chipped 335is by modding it....hmmm, why is that then?

Most likely because a 335is "chip" cost under $500 while to mod an M3 to the same level takes a $10,000 supercharger.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM

I don't really think that the issue is whether a 335is will perform as well as an M3. The question is whether the superior performance of an M3 is something that would be taken advantage of and whether the 335is is better suited to the way the car will be used.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Most likely because a 335is "chip" cost under $500 while to mod an M3 to the same level takes a $10,000 supercharger.
M3 status win.

I think this concludes the discussion.

(read the print on the watch face for full effect)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
M3 status win.

I think this concludes the discussion.

(read the print on the watch face for full effect)
Big deal. Anyone can buy a Rolex. If that one is yours and it was not awarded to you for a podium finish in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona I am not impressed.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Big deal. Anyone can buy a Rolex. If that one is yours and it was not awarded to you for a podium finish in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona I am not impressed.

CA
That's a vintage Rolex. When did the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona race start?

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:

CA
I bought it from a guy in New Hampshire. I think he is in NJ now. He said he gets them cheap from Singapore.
I can send contact details.

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 12-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
I don't really think that the issue is whether a 335is will perform as well as an M3. The question is whether the superior performance of an M3 is something that would be taken advantage of and whether the 335is is better suited to the way the car will be used.

CA
This is a very sensible statement!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
That's a vintage Rolex. When did the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona race start?
Actually the watch that is awarded for winning the 24 Hours of Daytona is an (drum roll) 18k Rolex Daytona!

Quote:
The Rolex Daytona Cosmograph is quite certain one of the most iconic watch models ever designed and manufactured by Rolex. This handsome watch was designed and named after the Daytona Speedway race in the 1960's, which Rolex continues to sponsor each year. The Daytona Rolex is available in stanless steel, 18k and stainless, and 18k solid gold ( rose gold, yellow gold, or white gold ). The watch was made famous by actor Paul Newman who was frequently seen at races sporting his stainless steel Rolex Daytona. to mint condition and come with a one year warranty.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I bought it from a guy in New Hampshire. I think he is in NJ now. He said he gets them cheap from Singapore.
I can send contact details.
Can he get me a Rolex President ///Mount Washington?

I have heard they are very hard to come by.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project