Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to MR525i
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Exclamation Wiper Issues

Hey all, Hoping i get get some help with this one.

1997 BMW 528i {4/97}

About a week ago my wipers halted in the middle of driving. Pulled off the road and turned the car off. When i started it up. I started the wipers and they do the same thing each time.

6/7 passes then Stop...

Regardless of where the wiper switch is (down for one pass / up for different speeds) They make about 7 passes at the same exact speed and then Halt in the middle of their tracks. Once they stop, I have to turn the car off and back on to get power to them. then i turn the car off at the right moment so they park themselves back at the home position.

After researching this like crazy:

Found that in the ECU box under the Pollen Air Filter lie the two relays (k36 / k37) both are purple. first i pulled them out and inspected them and went ahead and ordered 2 from the dealer. Just replaced them both and NOTHING. Same issues. Dis-connected the battery for about 10 Minuets. No change. double checked all fuses (especially #1 and #26 which are associated with the wiper system) and found no issues. swapped fuses anyway just to eliminate that as a cause.

Starting to feel a little stuck here. I've read that some people look at the General Module from here, and some go to the wiper motor.

Any advice would be great. Doesn't really seem like a motor issue being that it will make the same 7 passes initialy then stop. No grinding or odd noises coming from the wiper motor. Doesn't mean its not possible. As for the GM. Not sure if i should go and have it re-programmed or perhaps replaced.

Thanks,

-Mike
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Follow UP:

K, so after doing some more research found this:

Wiper switch

All wipe/wash functions can be switched on with the wiper switch as of terminal R (ignition lock in position 1).
The wiper switch can be switched to intermittent wipe, stage 1 and stage 2. These settings are coded by means of two lines leading to the general module. They are each switched to ground
On vehicles equipped with the special option automatic interval control (AIC) (as of March 1996), in the "intermittent" switch position, the intermittent wipe function is controlled by a rain sensor (refer to functional description for automatic interval control).
Intermittent mode

A knurled wheel with a potentiometer is integrated in the wiper switch. This makes it possible to set four different intervals. These times are also controlled according to road speed. The faster the vehicle is driven, the shorter the interval.
On vehicles equipped with automatic interval control (AIC) (as of March 1996), the sensitivity of the rain sensor can be influenced with the thumbwheel.
Wiper motor

The wiper motor is configured for two different wiper speeds. The load is switched via two external relays.
The end position (park position) of the wiper motor is recognized by means of a reset contact integrated in the motor. This contact switches ground to the general module when the motor has reached its end position.
The reset contact is also used for monitoring the wiper motor. If the contact signal is not received for 16 seconds with the wiper motor switched on (e.g. dry running), the wiper motor is switched off in order to protect it from overloading.
The wiper is not switched on again before it has been switched off and a lock-out time of 3 minutes has elapsed.

The wiper speed is set at the wiper switch. If automatic interval control is not installed, the wiper speed will be additionally controlled according to the road speed.

This leads me to believe that it could possibly be the wiper switch and not the motor.

Being that i'm unable to change the wiper speed at all and basically loose all control of the wipers once turned on. This sounds like the wiper switch controls all that functionality.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:59 PM

::UPDATE::

Today, Put in a OEM new wiper switch, (No change)

swaped DME from another E39 same 97' 528i, (No change)

Also my DME when put in the other 528i causes no issues with wipers

Only thing left is the wiper motor.

Any other info im missing here? Would there be any fuses or somthing simple in the E-box that im missing here?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Replaced Motor.

All Fixed!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Glad you got it taken care of.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
I am having some wiper problems myself. I had to replace the wiper console (part# 61618385218) because of a broken wiper stud (or whatever you call the threaded piece where the wiper connects). After replacing it, my wipers do not move much and then stop after several seconds. At this point, I am looking at the wiper motor. I have read that the wipers will stop after a number of seconds if a relay is bad. But, I have not gotten that far.