Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Getting lean codes/ misfire on 2004 X3

I have read most of the post about the lean condition on banks banks 1&2 and also the misfire codes. I have this same problem. My X3 misfires on 1,4 and 3. I have played musical coils (switching from working ones to non working ones) and it still is constant 1 and 4 misfire, most of the time 3 misfires also. I do mot have coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. My BMW has 145,000 miles with no engine problems until the last few weeks when this problem started. I notice when I first crank the X3 there is noises coming from the area of the DISA valve. It is like a knocking noise and sounds like a car doues when it is over heating. Could this be the DISA valve maybe sticking or broke? The noise seem to go away in 15-20 seconds but it has wistle or air rusing noise in that same area. I have read that the DISA valve is prone to break because it is plastic. I see there is a rebuild kit offered on ebay- has anyone had any experience with rebuilding the DISA?

I have an oil leak, I have about determined it is the oil housing oring. I have thought about replacing the CCV, intake tube, and intake oring when I replace the oring. Anything else I should consider changing when I have this apart?

Thanks for insight you may can offer!
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Here are a list of codes that I have:
P0304 Misfire on #4
P0301 Misfire on #1
P0303 Misfire on #3
P0300 General misfire
P0171 Lean Bank 1
P0174 Lean Bank 2
P2240 O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
P2237 O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0461 Fuel Level Sensor A
P0507 Idle Air Control System High than Expected

I began removing the intake syetem today. When I removed the DISA valve the flapper part was broke and fell apart as I pulled it out. I just ordered the repair parts to replace the flapper. When I got the intake boot off, I found that it has a hole in it where it bends to connect to the ICV. I also took out the ICV and it was stuck so I free it back up with brake cleaner.

I'm not sure what codes this will fix, but I think it is a good start. I plan on ordering the intake boot and CCV from Bavarian Autosports on Monday. I also have an oil leak from the oil filter housing area so I will order the oring to fix the leak. I also plan on removing the throttle body and replacing the gasket for it. Nad I will also replace the serpitine belt while I'm at it. Does anyone have any other part I may want to replace while I have it tore down?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM

UPDATE:
I replaced the CCV and hoses, replaced the Intake boot, cleaned the ICV, rebuilt the DISA valve, Replaced the throttle body oring, replaced the oil housing oring (it had turned to a hard brittle plastic), replaced the belt. Reset the codes and now get a code for lean on both banks and the fuel sensor code (after 40 miles of driving). All other codes are now gone.

I'm trying to figure out the lean condition. It must be minor since it takes a while to throw a code. I looked at the flapper on the muffler, the vacuum hose was broke at the nipple. Could this be the problem? Where does this vaccum hose come from?

I did not add any sealant to the DISA, I checked the DISA mounting with brake cleaner and got no change in idle. I'm assuming that it would not be the DISA?

Any Ideas?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Wow, good job fixing what you did.

The rear flapper in the exhaust will not throw a code. Just cut an inch off the rubber hose and reattach.

Have you cleaned the MAF?
Have you replaced precat O2 sensors?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

The work wan't hard, just very time consuming. I could probably do it in half the time with the tricks learned from the 1st time around. For example I fought with the CCV twist on connection for the top fitting when reinstalling the new valve. I ended up putting the top connector on the valve and then feeding the pipe up through the manifold hole. I wasted a good bit of time there. The other place I wasted time was when I reinstalled the alternator, get the bottom bolt started 1st then put in the top bolt. Just small things like that burn up time quick.

I have not replaced the O2 sensors. I have cleaned the MAF, it didn't look dirty. I do have a drop in K&N filter, that may be a problem?

Are there any vacuum lines that need to be looked at under the hood?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
With that amount of mileage I would change the Precat O2 sensors. You can get the Bosch ones really cheaply on Amazon. The manual says to change them at 100,000 miles.

Yeah, cvv is on my list of things to do. I keep putting it off because I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
So I know it's been 2 years but... was it the O2 sensors? I just finished changing intake boot, CCV valve and hoses and MAF sensor and also am still getting the lean codes after a while.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
smoke test/other vac lines

don't forget a home brew smoke test ....check JLEX posts nd there are many tubes on homemade testers.....heres the pro one and some good info... check the vac lines at rear of inlet manifold .... the 3.5 / 7 mm stuff in the link below .....plus the vac line that runs to the vac accumulator ....roughly straight down from the rear manifold .....an agile person can get them all from underneath

15 and 17 in this

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2879

typical vac cannister/accumulator .....check line 4 and the stuff it feeds all the way rear

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catal..._exhaust_flap/

Last edited by swampX3; 06-17-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-17-2015, 01:35 PM

Thanks that is most helpful!
I did do a smoke check but i suspect it didn't have enough pressure to really reach all the spots.
But do I understand you correctly that you suspect another vacuum leak over the O2 sensors to be the cause of the error code?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2015, 02:19 PM

O2 sensors

a good small code reader/analyzer like the c reader 6 or similar will show if your O2 sensors are outputting OK

I mentioned the other possible vac system leaks cause they are often overlooked even with a smoke test .....they are hidden under the manifold or down below in the case of the vac canister.......its pretty easy to get under and check .....also .....often on older vehicles the vac hoses / vac line caps have simply rotted off

you can make a quick fix for a rotted vac cap by just super gluing one end of the correct size hose together.....or .....pop a golf tee or similar in it

the vac canister feeds the rear flapper on your exhaust .....another hose to rot and tucked under thee rear end.....check if your flapper is working too
Old 06-18-2015, 05:21 AM

O2 sensors changed based on miles/years

you may want to change the O2 sensors based on miles/years of service if you have the bucks .....the pre cat pair are easy to swap and are getting less expensive on amazon etc
Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
a good small code reader/analyzer like the c reader 6 or similar will show if your O2 sensors are outputting OK

I mentioned the other possible vac system leaks cause they are often overlooked even with a smoke test .....they are hidden under the manifold or down below in the case of the vac canister.......its pretty easy to get under and check .....also .....often on older vehicles the vac hoses / vac line caps have simply rotted off

you can make a quick fix for a rotted vac cap by just super gluing one end of the correct size hose together.....or .....pop a golf tee or similar in it

the vac canister feeds the rear flapper on your exhaust .....another hose to rot and tucked under thee rear end.....check if your flapper is working too
Good point and I will check those hoses and if it is just to learn where they are and what condition they're in. That's probably well invested time anyway.

As for the O2 sensors I had tried to check them with INPA but I don't know what numbers they are supposed to put out or even how to properly check them...

Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
you may want to change the O2 sensors based on miles/years of service if you have the bucks .....the pre cat pair are easy to swap and are getting less expensive on amazon etc
The car has 80,000 miles and is a 2004.
I think I will try to rule out the vacuum leak first. I just hate replacing parts only to find out that wasn't it...

Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 AM

a good generic on O2 sensors

Old 06-18-2015, 10:46 AM

O2 sensor heater circuit etc testing

the O2 sensors are very alike no matter which car you have....here is a good generic on a simple heater circuit test you can do on the X .....just take the engine cover off and the pre cat 1 and 2 sensors are just by the fuel rail......the post cats plugs (sensors 3&4)often come up by the firewall and are just by the exhaust manifold

the pre cats are easy to pop out and you can diy a clean up with a propane torch

you simply need a very low cost meter to check the outputs.....and .....another good go by is to hook up your meter to all 4 one by one and get comparative readings......if you have one way off it's a sign to swap or dig further

Last edited by swampX3; 06-18-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 AM

is it O2 sensors or something else for the lean code

this one is good at telling the story of an O2 sensor or another lean issue ( its ford but they are all close to the same no matter what vehicle).....also .....using your body to check a low volt circuit integrity.....and .....yes .....it does show him using a good scanner but you can use a voltmeter and check for action below one volt on each O2 sensor.....remember a good O2 sensors will output varying millivolt levels (below one volt though !)depending on air/fuel etc passing its heated tip.....if the level is zero it's probably time to install a new one

Last edited by swampX3; 06-18-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add link
Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 AM

a good low cost scanner to read O2 sensor outputs

this one shows the "DON" best video maker using a low cost scanner that will show you millivolt outputs from the O2 sensors plus the percent fuel trims derived from the computer adjusting the air / fuel ratio....see if you can beg or borrow one of these

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...96042044,d.cGU
Old 06-18-2015, 11:38 AM

other good diy O2 sensor tests

using just a propane heat source and low cost meter for the O2 sensor head to plug test

what's in those darn bosch sensor wires ....this will help

simple testing and what the wires are for

Last edited by swampX3; 06-18-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM

O2 sensor level millivolts needed ????

what's inside that darned O2 sensor ....what is ideal air/fuel ratio(stoichiometry)...some good tests using only a simple meter

Last edited by swampX3; 06-18-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM

O2 sensor cleaning/shade tree successes

Last edited by swampX3; 06-18-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 PM

little bit of fuel trim/O2 sensor impact info

http://blog.bavauto.com/11111/bmw-an...positive-trim/
Old 06-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Thank you for all that information and for taking the time and sharing it with me! I really appreciate that.
As for the car I just received a call that it was in a crash... :-( and bad enough for the airbag to set off. So I guess I will have to see where I go from here... We just got it too... Sigh

Old 06-19-2015, 09:44 AM

hang in there

hope the crash and the codes can be fixed ....best wishes !