Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: NA
Steering Wheel Knocking Sound at Low Speed

I posted a tread earlier on bimmerpost about a steering wheel knocking sound problem on my new X1.
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=15703030

Here are some updates. I appreciate any opinions on this!

I went to the dealership several times to try to fix it, but failed. At the last time, they got an engineer from BMWUSA to help with it. They replaced several parts with another X1, but didn't fix it. They also found it happened on other X1 as well (only xDrive version). So, they stated that it was a normal design and couldn't be fixed.

I'm confused here... In my opinion, the steering wheel on a new car should be smooth and quiet. Since the noise is quite annoying to me, can they just say it's a normal design? How do they define a 'problem' or a 'normal design'?

Another thing is, they have temporarily fixed it once by replacing the steering spindle. Can a normal design be 'fixed' by replacing anything?

Here are some documentation of the repairs...

1 (Jan21, 2014)
Problem Statement: Knocking noise coming from steering wheel area when driving at low speed
Explanation: Steering spindle bottom worn
Repair: Replaced lower steering spindle
Result: Temporarily fixed the problem, but happened again in 2 months.
2 (Mar28, 14)
Problem Statement: There is a knocking noise in the steering wheel at low speed that you can hear and feel
Explanation: Found noise from the steering rack. Steering rack is on back order. Customer will return for repair.
3 (Apr23, 14)
Problem Statement: Steering wheel knocking noise problem.
Explanation:
Repair: Replaced steering rack. Installed new crush seals for the power steering lines.
Result: Didnít fix the problem at all.
4 (May2, 14)
Problem Statement: Steering wheel knocking noise problem.
Explanation: This is a normal design and there is no repair.
Result: Didnít fix the problem at all.
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Do you have any other dealers near by?
Take it somewhere else and see what their technicians say.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Do you have any other dealers near by?
Take it somewhere else and see what their technicians say.
I went to the largest dealer around here. And the engineer from bmwusa has already drawn the conclusion... Not sure if other dealers will have different opinion...
Just curious, will you believe that the knocking noise in the steering wheel is a normal design?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: X1
hallo, have you got to the bottom of this? i have the same issue, annoying cracking sound..
Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobez View Post
hallo, have you got to the bottom of this? i have the same issue, annoying cracking sound..
Hi. BMWusa insisted that it was a normal design and couldn't be fixed.

I asked some friends in China (this issue was discussed a lot on a China BMW forum.). Many owners replaced the steering column or something else. But it was still there or happened a few weeks/months later.

So I believe that it is caused by the design of the car... But BMW won't admit it is a defect...

The guy from BMW North American even told me that it was on all xDrive X1 and he never heard anyone complained about this issue, so it was not a defect. I admitted that it's not a very obvious. But once you noticed it, it will be annoying all the time...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:44 PM

i will check if BMW here in europe has different opinion on this.

why didn t you insist on replacing that part again that solved the issue for a few months?

this should not be considered as normal design!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
i will check if BMW here in europe has different opinion on this.

why didn t you insist on replacing that part again that solved the issue for a few months?

this should not be considered as normal design!
I think it's the service department's choice of which part to replace. Maybe their logic is, replacing that part didn't solve the issue, let's replace another one...

Then the engineer from BMW North America came in and tried to fix it. They tried replacing many different parts but failed. So they tested another X1: same issue. They said they ask BMW in Germany to check their X1s: same issue. And they told me it is not safety related. Base on these things, they drawn the conclusion that it's not a defect.

Since the engineer from BMW NA said it was a normal design, I don't think the dealership will keep on trying to fix it. Actually, since all xDrive X1s have this issue, it should be caused by a bad design and there is no way to fix it, in my opinion.

The thing that makes me angry is, the engineer told me, there is nobody else complaining about it, so they wouldn't consider it as a defect. As I know, at least 10 owners in China replaced some parts trying to fix it and failed...

So now what I'm interested in is, how to define 'defect'...

Last edited by rchendesign; 06-20-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
Yup, same happened to my X1. New Country BMW in Hartford CT replaced the lower steering rack and all is well now. No run-arounds, no engineers....
The e90 chassis is natorious for this. I had the same issue with my '08 335 coupe.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
Yup, same happened to my X1. New Country BMW in Hartford CT replaced the lower steering rack and all is well now. No run-arounds, no engineers....
The e90 chassis is natorious for this. I had the same issue with my '08 335 coupe.
Oh, my dealership replaced the steering rack as well, but not solved the problem.

Is the lower steering rack a part of steering rack?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Are you getting this problem on every drive from beginning, regardless the distance of the ride?

I assume it has smthg to do with xdrive front syncro and as a result it get this annoying shifts.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Are you getting this problem on every drive from beginning, regardless the distance of the ride?

I assume it has smthg to do with xdrive front syncro and as a result it get this annoying shifts.
At first, it only happened after a longer distance of driving. Now, it happens whenever the car is at low speed...
Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
Our '13 X1 (35i) has had that steering knocking since about 5000 miles.

Dealer looked at it at 14K miles and since it only does it when going slow claims its 'normal.' I just wanted to make sure something wasnt coming loose and the dealer claims all is well.

Since I lived through the GM intermediate steering shaft clunk on a few different new trucks I'm used to it, my wife never noticed it..
Old 06-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP49 View Post
Our '13 X1 (35i) has had that steering knocking since about 5000 miles.

Dealer looked at it at 14K miles and since it only does it when going slow claims its 'normal.' I just wanted to make sure something wasnt coming loose and the dealer claims all is well.

Since I lived through the GM intermediate steering shaft clunk on a few different new trucks I'm used to it, my wife never noticed it..
Yes, I believed that many people just don't notice it. Since I have driven many different cars before, I'm very sensitive about something uncommon...
Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
This weekend was the first time I heard a knock while turning the steering wheel, and I heard it on 2-3 occasions. 2014 X1 xDrive 2.8i, built last June. It was a single knock each time, but it came from the front right wheel area, not the steering wheel area. Could be a rack issue. I'll bring it up to the SA when I go for my yearly free oil change in a few weeks.