Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Cooling System

I have a 2001 330xi with 70,000 miles. The temperture when I turn on the car either goes straight to the middle or to the right 1 to 2 degrees after it warms up, after this it does not move. I was wondering if the temp sensor would be going out or what could cause this. I think there are two sensors and which one would I need to change.

The other question is it easy to change them or would it be a tough job?
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Do you mean the temp needle goes right to the middle position as soon as the car starts or does it go to the middle after you've driven for a few miles?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM

It goes to the middle after it warms up
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
So, what are you saying is wrong with it?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 PM

After it warms up it isn't consistent every time. It is either exactly halfway, or 2 degrees past halfway. I'm wondering if the sensor or thermostat is going bad.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by danobox View Post
After it warms up it isn't consistent every time. It is either exactly halfway, or 2 degrees past halfway. I'm wondering if the sensor or thermostat is going bad.
If the car *doesn`t* overheat, but gets up to proper temp (relatively) quickly, and you`re getting good heat from the vents, there`s probably nothing wrong. BMW temp gauges are heavily buffered, so they`re not all that accurate like a REAL mechanical gauge would be.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-01-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by danobox View Post
It would be more likely to be an issue with the gauge in the cluster. However, two degrees of movement is very small and I would expect that to be within tolerance.

You can put the cluster into test mode and get a digital readout of engine temperature.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This E39 M54 thread may help for the E46 M54:
- What is the temperature of the coolant when the thermostat opens under normal conditions (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need