Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i 6MT
Enlightening (or disturbing) info about BMW service records.

I bought a 2013 F30 335i 6MT sedan just under 2 weeks ago. It's my fourth BMW and first new one. I love the car!

The car I owned before the F30 was a used 2011 550i 6MT. What I learned during the trade process is the subject of this post.

Before purchasing the 550i I did my due diligence. I ignored the "1-owner Carfax" and called the dealership where the car was bought and serviced. I spoke to a SA for ~20 min. Aside from an oil filter that'd been improperly installed during an oil change, the car had a squeaky clean record (or so I was told). This was verified by a second BMW dealership which ran the key. SAs at both gave me a thumbs up so I bought the car. The 550i was great but I decided to trade it because I missed the athleticism/sportiness that I'd come to love (I'd previously owned a 135i and 330xi).

So I set out on a mission to find a 2013 F30 335i 6MT (6MTs are hard to find!). I found one. Of course, the first part of the buying process was an appraisal of the 550i. All I expected was a low-ball offer. When I asked for info regarding the basis for the low-ball offer (in my mind the car was still relatively new and in pristine condition) the manager showed me the service history. I was shocked to find that: (1) the transmission had been replaced after 2K miles, undoubtedly because of a defect; and (2) the previous owner had burned out the original clutch. I double-checked the VIN and other info on the printout to make sure that I wasn't been flim-flammed. (I knew that the previous owner had leased the car. And as I've read on this forum before, perhaps as a lessee he had no problem dogging the car.)

So I asked, "Why did this info not show up at the other BMW dealerships?" The manager explained that there was a second page/screen of service records and that the others had failed to dig deeply to find everything. So does this mean that if you ask for a complete service history you're at the mercy of the SA?

I then learned that the transmission and clutch replacements do NOT disqualify the car for CPO status. I guess one can look at that two ways. Personally, knowing such details would give me pause. On the other hand, the car has a newer transmission and clutch than it would have had otherwise.

For this and other reasons, I think that I'll stick to new 6MT BMWs from here on out!

2013 335i 6MT Sport Line Black Sapphire Metallic w/ M Performance Exhaust

Past:

2011 550i 6MT
2009 135i 6MT w/ BMW Performance Exhaust
2006 330i 6MT

BMW CCA member
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
You could also have insisted on a print out of the service records. Before I bought the 328i new, I was looking at 335 CPOs. Just about every dealer was willing to print out or send me a PDF of the full service history. It is very enlightening.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i 6MT
Interesting point. It's been my experience that SOME dealerships are willing to share the printout with customers but others are not. In fact, the printouts actually say, "For BMW use only." When I had the 135i, a SA had given me a printout but then the senior SA come over and took it out of my hand. I ended up getting one eventually from a dealership in another down (from an inexperienced SA).

2013 335i 6MT Sport Line Black Sapphire Metallic w/ M Performance Exhaust

Past:

2011 550i 6MT
2009 135i 6MT w/ BMW Performance Exhaust
2006 330i 6MT

BMW CCA member