Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 & 2011 X3
FINALLY ORDERED A NEW X1...here's why

While working in Germany 2 years ago, I saw the X1 for the first time. I thought, "what a good looking little car - sporty, economical and would be just right for me. Too bad they don't import them to the U.S.." Shortly after returning to the U.S., I learned that they indeed were coming here.

I expect to be the sole occupant of the vehicle probably 90% of the time so don't need multiple comfortable seats. I like the hatchback flexibility as I plan to have a mtn or road bike in the back (with the seats down) frequently, and carry my hockey equipment once a week. I don't plan to "hot rod" the car much, but will enjoy taking the "back roads" in the mountains every once in a while. Last, I anticipate putting about 15,000 miles on the car per year. Bottom line is that the car's capabilities, appearance and cost, appear to be meet my needs better than anything else I could find / afford.

The past year, I've spent a lot of time researching this car (actually, I probably "over-researched" it). Finally ordered the car yesterday:

2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Marrakesh Brown Metallic
Black Leatherette
xLine
Lighting package
Fineline Bay Matte Wood trim
Technology package
Servotronic
Heated front seats

I appreciate what everyone has posted and the information in the forums certainly helped with my decisions. Seems we all use this site for different reasons, but here's my two cents why I bought what I did:

xDrive 28i - I chose this engine (instead of the 3.5) because in the two different X1's I tested, the 28i had plenty of power for me and I like the increased mpg. Also, my wife has a 2011 X3 with the 3.5, and I don't need that much power, especially in a smaller car like the X1. I chose the xDrive over the sDrive because I live in Colorado, and expect to need the all wheel drive capability during the winter months. Interesting that of the 3 dealers I visited, none had an sDrive in stock... each of them said that in Colorado, there is zero demand for the rear wheel drive model.

Servotronic - I chose this option, because I felt that the steering was heavy at very low speeds (i.e. parking, turning in tight spaces). I have not driven the X1 with servotronic, but was told by the dealer that it helps lighten up the steering at slow speeds. We'll see... My wife also insisted that she didn't want a car that was difficult to turn (so I guess she expects to drive the X1 once in a while). This option was only $4 a month over the 60 months I am financing the vehicle...

xLine - selected purely because of rims (spoke style 322), satin colored roof rails and additional aesthetics below the grill.

black leatherette - selected this (instead of the leather), because I thought it looked very nice, and saved me $1500. My wife has the mojave leather in her X3, and to be honest, I prefer the look and feel of the black leatherette. Living in Colorado, the heated seats were a no brainer, but I didn't really need the cold weather package and extra cost (my wife's car has that, and it's more than I need).

Matte wood trim - thought it looked very sharp with the black leatherette. Yes, it was $500 extra and nullified the dark copper interior that was part of the xLine package.

Lighting package aka Xenon (instead of standard headlamps) - the lighting package came down in price from $1200 in 2013, to $900 in 2014. The xenons not only look great and add to the car's "cool factor", but are functional and definitely illuminate the area in front of the car, better than standard (yellow) lights. The adaptive light feature is pretty cool too.

Technology package (Navigation system) - this was a tough decision for me. My wife and I don't particularly like the Nav system in her X3 (very similar to the X1's)... mostly because it is not as user friendly as in our previous vehicles. I had planned to save the $2000+ and instead, get a $300 garmin... HOWEVER, BMW offered an additional $1500 voucher for simply attending a nearby test drive, so I attended the test drive, picked up the $1500 voucher and added the Technology package. I plan to put in some time to really learn the iDrive (Nav) system - German's make great stuff, but as I have learned working daily with them, that you are expected to be smart enough to read the operators manual.

How much did I pay? First, I'll say that I tried a strategy that I read about in this forum. I used the BMW config software to build the exact car I wanted (listing both dealer invoice and MSRP) and emailed it to the 3 nearby BMW dealers asking them for their final, detailed quote that listed out every single cost to me. Through this, I was able to get three different quotes (all were fair and close in price). I went with the best price (which happened to be at the same dealership and with the same internet salesman / client advisor that we'd used to by my wife's X3). Additional discounts I received:

$1,500 USAA member discount
$750 loyalty discount
$1,500 voucher for participating in a BMW test drive

After all said and done, paid just over $35,000 (excluding taxes & delivery / handling)

OK, couple of months to wait for delivery and second guess my decisions.... Again, Thanks to you who have posted your info!
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Very nice!

That's a great build!
Sounds like you got a nice deal on the price too.

Enjoy the hype of the wait, your X1 will be worth it!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Very nice post, well thought out and written. Congrats on the order!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Nice writeup, thanks for sharing the decision making process.

Quick question - I'm getting a $1000 USAA credit, how did you get $1500? Am I missing something?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 & 2011 X3
BPTSULL, all three of the dealerships I worked with in Colorado offered the $1500 USAA discount. I did not ask for the $ amount - they all said it was $1500.

Here's the link to the BMW offer:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...arysalute.aspx

The link says discounts of "up to $2000"... recommend reading the fine print.

I don't know how the $1500 discount that I received for the X1, was established. You may want to call your client advisor and make him or her explain where the $1000 figure came from, for your USAA discount. Sorry I don't know more about that.

I also strongly recommend that you inquire about any additional incentives that they can provide. Ask if there is a test drive coming up nearby (saved me another $1500). I had one dealer add on a "special dealer $995 discount" for no apparent reason. I also received a card for $500 in accessories as a "new client" but later learned that the dealer would not honor the $500 because I was technically not a new client. My read is that the dealers have some latitude in offering "deals"... and still use the old school "pea in the shell game" tactic to to keep all of the costs, discounts, incentives, taxes, fees, etc. as ambiguous and undefined as you will let them. I still believe (unfortunately) that the customer that holds the client advisor / finance person accountable for every single item / cost, seeks out competition and the lowest price (in writing), is less likely to pay additional profit to the dealer. After all, ultimately the role of the salesperson is to get as much $ from the customer as possible, and the role of the customer is to pay the least amount of $ possible.

Hope you can find some additional discounts - it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Penfed (I used them for ED like many people here) runs 1.74% financing on any purchase and .74% if you use them pre-purchase similar to USAA though I'm not sure the specifics, they might even do discounts on the car like USAA. Most CU's are about 3% so 1%+ APR difference over the term of the loan can be wroth a grand more. When I bought my X1 USAA wasn't doing X1's and I didn't know about penfed.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 PM

I got $1500 for USAA when I picked mine up in Santa Barbara this past April, financed with BMW.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman

Can anyone join USAA ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 AM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
Can anyone join USAA ?

For military vets and families. If you served or your father or mother served you should be eligible

Last edited by bjbolduc; 06-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman

National guard count? Thanks!

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
I would think so but go to their web site www.usaa.com
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Buminenga;7655674]

$1,500 USAA member discount
$750 loyalty discount
$1,500 voucher for participating in a BMW test drive

QUOTE]

Congrats on your new purchase! That is exciting. I am especially glad that you included the discounts you got. I am considering my purchase options as well and received a postcard for the BMW test drive, although my dealer is only offering $1000. I wondered if it was valid for ordering a vehicle and also whether they would honor the $750 loyalty cash. I hope my deal works out as well as yours. Post pix when it arrives!

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 00Z3MC,10328iT,14X1x28
Thanks for the servotronic option reminder...I'm building an x28i M online for possible order thru Military Sales. Haven't heard back from Pentagon but hope the discount is "attractive".
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Re: FINALLY ORDERED A NEW X1...here's why

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhearse View Post
Thanks for the servotronic option reminder...I'm building an x28i M online for possible order thru Military Sales. Haven't heard back from Pentagon but hope the discount is "attractive".
Where are you stationed? I bought my xdrive28i from the pentagon in spangdahlem. I got a great deal, I think it was very competitive with anything a stateside dealer would offer, and tax free is definitely an added bonus you don't get anywhere else.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 00Z3MC,10328iT,14X1x28
@exozune: I'm deployed to Helmand Province AFG. Just got the quote back from Pentagon and am a bit disappointed, discount is same/slightly less than original poster here.
I did get a great deal from Pentagon back in 2010 on my 328iT M sport with MANUAL (!)
I going to check with USAA and see if I can get equal or better.
I guess the margin is smaller on the X1's vs. the rest of the "big cars".