Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330iC ZHP
ED from out of state dealers question

I am looking at ED for a 3 series and not sure if I want to lease or buy. Either way I want to know if there are any issues with contacting an out of state dealer (I'm in Virginia) to set up the deal. For example there are many recommended dealers on this board.

Also, how does service and loaners usually work for when you take it to a dealer that you didn't buy it from?

Thanks,
Dave
Ads by Google
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Should be no issue using an out of state dealer... multiple forum sponsors can handle it well. There is an ED forum IIRC.

The whole loaner thing is up to your local dealer. Some will use loaners as a vindictive tool, punishing an owner that didnt buy from them...( i suppose even in the case they moved into town with a newer car, etc.)

Smart dealers will recognize that service makes them money, and they should encourage as much service business as they can- and dont use service to coerce sales. Call and talk to the service manager- just tell them I have a new BMW and am looking for a dealer that will provide loaners for warranty and service ... see what they say.

A

Last edited by ard; 12-01-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I never had any issues with service and I have routinely gotten my car from out of state dealers. As for loaners it's never been an issue. Only 1 occasion a service rep asked me, did you get it here? I ask why it mattered and he said it only mattered in the allocation of loaners. That is someone who got it there would be prioritized over someone who did not if there was a shortage.

I told him, "oh, yes as a matter of fact" and did do everything. Never made a difference, not even sure they ever check unless perhaps they run into a shortage f ,owners on a given date.

Just my $.02.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 AM

One other question. How does delivery take place if I order ED from an out of state dealer?

How do I get the car once it gets to the US? Do I have to go to the out of state dealer or can it be delivered to my local dealer?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmesserly View Post
One other question. How does delivery take place if I order ED from an out of state dealer?

How do I get the car once it gets to the US? Do I have to go to the out of state dealer or can it be delivered to my local dealer?

Thanks,
Dave
the car is usually delivered to your selling dealer unless you arrange a courtesy delivery. that is not free and the fee varies. its also not compulsory-- the local dealer is not required to accept your car for delivery

you can also to a performance center delivery in south carolina after an ED.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 12-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: E90 TIAG 335i
I have purchased two ED cars from an out of state dealer (and board sponsor). For service my local dealer couldn't care less. I have always been offered a loaner, although have yet to use one. I would assume you would be welcome to bring your car in for service by a local dealer but loaners will vary by dealer.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
I have done several EDs an have not had an issue getting loaners from my local dealer. This seems to have become less of an issue in recent years generally. One thing to be aware of is the possible cost of getting the car from your out of state dealer to your home. I did this once and it cost $500. If you are using a more proximate dealer you can just drive the car yourself or perhaps trucking would be cheaper than what I paid.
2008 X3, Alpine White (Ret.) ED: 5.22.08,
2007 328 Convertible, Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown,Sport, (Ret.)
ED: 5.25.07
2005 330 Convertible (Ret.) Sapphire Black/Tan Leather
2002 330 Convertible (Ret.) Silver/Gray Leath
1996 318 convertible (Ret.) Alphine White/Tan Leather
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Blue Bimmer!

Mein Auto: 2013 335i EBII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
the car is usually delivered to your selling dealer unless you arrange a courtesy delivery. that is not free and the fee varies. its also not compulsory-- the local dealer is not required to accept your car for delivery

you can also to a performance center delivery in south carolina after an ED.
+1 for good information.

Just remember if you select PCD after a ED it might take several weeks after your car arrives in the US to be able to deliver. Dont later if it takes several weeks.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM

I've sent RFPs to a few Bimmerfest sponsor CAs that are several states away from me. Anyone have any recommendations for CAs within a few hours drive of northern VA that are good with ED?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmesserly View Post
I've sent RFPs to a few Bimmerfest sponsor CAs that are several states away from me. Anyone have any recommendations for CAs within a few hours drive of northern VA that are good with ED?
Adrian in Atlanta has a good rep, not sure about those in the NE. Have you tried looking at the sponsors section?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
Just remember if you select PCD after a ED it might take several weeks after your car arrives in the US to be able to deliver. Dont later if it takes several weeks.
Apologies for a tangent, but just out of curiousity -- at what point in an ED / PCD lease or purchase is the in-service date and when do you start having to make payments?

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
Apologies for a tangent, but just out of curiousity -- at what point in an ED / PCD lease or purchase is the in-service date and when do you start having to make payments?

For the ED your in contract starts when you sign your paperwork. Your first payment is due 1 month after that date. So for ex I signed on 10/4, and my first payment was due on 11/4.

HOWEVER - BMW makes your first scheduled payment (in my case teh payment due on 11/4) so my first actual payment is Dec 3. Pretty cool of them - they know you lose a month in the ED process and pick up the payment.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
Ed from out of state

I'm in NOVA and while I'm not shopping for an ED I am currently shopping for an off lease 2009 328 CPO. I've found that the dealers up north have much better pricing and selection than VA or MD. I think that we're going to go with one from Bayside BMW on Long Island. Pretty straight forward folks to work with. We'll just take the train up and drive it back....kinda make a weekend of it.