Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: Volt
Older X3 or X5 for household cargo duty?

I'm tired of renting Menard's trucks every time I need to move a slightly oversized thing so I'm looking to buy an older BMW SUV that can be used for occasional household "hauling" duty. I don't think the total mileage requirement would exceed a few thousand yearly so I'm looking at well maintained mid 2000s models for $6000-$8000; total mileage is irrelevant. I know I could just buy an old Explorer for a lot less but I like BMWs.

Is the X3 a bit small for the most demanding household cargo duties, like transporting a big flatscreen or small appliance, like a dishwasher? Would I regret not buying an X5?
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2016, 01:49 PM

No opinions on this? The reason I'm asking is that many of the vehicles I'd be looking at are over an hour drive away. There aren't any local candidates, and I don't know anyone personally who owns and older X3 or x5.

I want to buy old because I want the depreciaition to be complete. I don't mind a few grand in maintenance.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moop View Post
I'm tired of renting Menard's trucks every time I need to move a slightly oversized thing so I'm looking to buy an older BMW SUV that can be used for occasional household "hauling" duty. I don't think the total mileage requirement would exceed a few thousand yearly so I'm looking at well maintained mid 2000s models for $6000-$8000; total mileage is irrelevant. I know I could just buy an old Explorer for a lot less but I like BMWs.

Is the X3 a bit small for the most demanding household cargo duties, like transporting a big flatscreen or small appliance, like a dishwasher? Would I regret not buying an X5?
I have owned both. I traded the X5 for a RR Evoque. The X3 is love (oustide of the fact that engine blew up in it at 83k miles). The X5 was great for the long trips, but honestly was a bit small for hauling stuff. I have a Ford Expedition for that.
The X3 is perfect for loading the suitcases and hitting the road. There is enough space to comfortably haul 4 people and their stuff. We managed to get a fairly large rolling tool cabinet in it. If you are looking to haul plywood or something, it wont work. The one shortfall for them both is the fact that the rear window does not open separately. If it did that, then the X3 would be the perfect car.
The X3 would haul all of the things that you mentioned above. I doubt that you would regret not having the X5. They may look alike, but are actually really different cars. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by gresh; 08-28-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanks. I'll definitely put some X3s on my list to see then.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
If you're using it just for moving stuff I don't see why you wouldn't go as big as you can and get the X5.

Tim
Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM

That was my original thought but I wasn't sure about the X3.

Interestingly - older X5s seem to be more plentiful and less expensive where I live.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM
bmw addict

Mein Auto: e46 m3
I vote X5 I had an E53 and now we have an E70 they are great vehicles. Good luck either way

current rides:
03 E46 M3
08 E70 4.8i X5
03 E85 2.5 Z4
03 dodge ram
03 350Z
12 Lincoln Navigator
03 rc51
04 600rr
99 F350 Dually
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
X3

We considered a used X3 to replace the wife's MINI Clubman and the Saturn VUE "winter car" so we could get down to just 2 cars. But you can't find them...good cars evidently because people hang on to them.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D; 2016 428i
I've never owned a X3 but I can tell you that, in my opinion, the X5 would NOT be ideal for hauling appliances. Flat-screen TV? Yes. But not much bigger than that.

Reviews I read seem to note the X5's lack of cargo space. I personally don't think the X5's cargo is small, but I wouldn't consider it plentiful, either.

It's a very roomy and comfortable vehicle for driver and passenger but you might be disappointed with the dimensions of the cargo space area, based on what you're wanting to do.

You can easily/quickly fold the back seats for additional room. That will provide significantly more room for hauling, but even with the rear seats folded, I'm not convinced you could haul appliances.

Last edited by Nulevel; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 650xi, 2011 Z4 35is
I wouldn't think either would be big enough if you have been renting pickups. When I think of renting a pickup truck I think 4x8 sheet of plywood, ect. or some 8' or longer. Appliances? Not a chance. A box for a 55" flat screen tv fills the floor of an X5.

2011 Z4 sDrive35is Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Ivory White Nappa
2014 X5 xDrive50i Mineral White/Back Dakota (retired)
2015 650i xDrive Space Grey/Black Nappa (Sold)
2015 M4 Austin Yellow Metallic - Daughter's Car
2016 X6 xDrive35i Black Sapphire/ Cognac/Black Bi-Color Nappa
2016 435xi Convertible Black Sapphire/Black Dekota
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
I built a 4'x8' utility trailer.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
Long thread about this on the Mopar site I frequent..

By the time you pay for the vehicle, insurance, repairs, tires that go bad from age, you are much better off renting a few times a year......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car online pic.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	574664  
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker55 View Post
I wouldn't think either would be big enough if you have been renting pickups. When I think of renting a pickup truck I think 4x8 sheet of plywood, ect. or some 8' or longer. Appliances? Not a chance. A box for a 55" flat screen tv fills the floor of an X5.
Are you sure you aren't underestimating the cargo space of an X5 a bit? A dishwasher isn't that big. I just had mine replaced.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Long thread about this on the Mopar site I frequent..

By the time you pay for the vehicle, insurance, repairs, tires that go bad from age, you are much better off renting a few times a year......
To be honest - it's not the money. It's the hassle of going back and forth to Menard's to get it and return it. The inevitable 25 minute wait in line while people argue about returning screws.

Plus, my 6 series experience has been so good I now want an X to go with it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search