Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Welcome aboard my fellow 650i owner

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Congrats on your new ride! Let us know how the install goes - mine is starting to crack and I might need to put in a new light bar.
I installed the third break light yesterday and it was incredibly easy. I'm glad I didn't have the dealer do it for $475. I even called them to ask why they're charging me 2 hrs of labor for a 30 min fix but they said they're going by what some book says - yeah right. Thanks for the suggestions of doing it myself guys cause now it only cost me $123 for the new light. Now I'm back in action!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Nice job! The power of a great forum!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebomb View Post
I installed the third break light yesterday and it was incredibly easy. I'm glad I didn't have the dealer do it for $475. I even called them to ask why they're charging me 2 hrs of labor for a 30 min fix but they said they're going by what some book says - yeah right. Thanks for the suggestions of doing it myself guys cause now it only cost me $123 for the new light. Now I'm back in action!
Nice work. Now we can have a party with the $350 you saved!
Welcome the DIY bunch!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 PM

What's the best kind of synthetic oil to buy for a 6 series?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
You have 3 BMW approved choices:
  • BMW 5W-30 synthetic oil (available at the dealer - Part # 07510017866)
  • Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil - European Formula (available at Advance Auto, some Walmarts and many other locations. At Canadian Tire/PartSource in Canada)
  • German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (Available at most AutoZones and at some Walmarts in Canada) The bottle MUST say “Made in Germany”, do not use “Made in USA” Syntec.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Get the pics up buddy
Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Ps I'm a relatively new 6 owner too, hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine - if you have a few hours spare, it's definitely worth a browse through the forum on issues which can crop-up. That way in the event something does happen (however minor) you might at least have an idea about cause and remedy. 6s seem to be very complicated machines by their nature, knowledge is power my friend.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

The Genuine BMW ones and believe it or not, the price is really not that much more than other brands
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Mainte...510017866.html

Quote:

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzone View Post
The Genuine BMW ones and believe it or not, the price is really not that much more than other brands
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Mainte...510017866.html
Ok cool but I only need to top it off. It's not time for a full oil change so I need one quart; got a low oil message in the system. I wonder if I can get one at the dealership.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
  • Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil - European Formula (available at Advance Auto, some Walmarts and many other locations. At Canadian Tire/PartSource in Canada)
  • German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (Available at most AutoZones and at some Walmarts in Canada) The bottle MUST say “Made in Germany”, do not use “Made in USA” Syntec.
Thanks for this info and that's exactly what they said at autozone when I called.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
Ps I'm a relatively new 6 owner too, hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine - if you have a few hours spare, it's definitely worth a browse through the forum on issues which can crop-up. That way in the event something does happen (however minor) you might at least have an idea about cause and remedy. 6s seem to be very complicated machines by their nature, knowledge is power my friend.
You're right and that's exactly what I did the first time I ran across this forum. I also downloaded the manual and have it stored in my phone. I didn't even know you could open the trunk with the emblem and was wondering why I had to wedge my figures in the space between the trunk and bumper to open it lol. That's a cooler way to open it with the emblem and I always thought it was really large now I know why hahaha smh.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

yup, they will sell you a bottle, no point buying online

Quote:
Ok cool but I only need to top it off. It's not time for a full oil change so I need one quart; got a low oil message in the system. I wonder if I can get one at the dealership.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 AM

I bought an iPhone 5 yesterday at the Sprint store and they had a case that was the exact same color as my car, when I say same color, the case looks like it had a paint job with the metallic in it as well as the gloss. When I went to look at my car out the front door, the sales lady followed behind me and when she saw my whip, she said I was just trying to show off lol. I said that I was making sure it matches before I buy it; normally I get cases from eBay instead of paying $30 for a case but I went ahead and got it. While she was setting everything up, I even went outside with the case and put it against my car to make sure it matched; sure enough it did. Also, when I got home, I download a BMW wallpaper app that I didn't know existed - cool!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
yup, they will sell you a bottle, no point buying online
Cool! I'm going there this morning. I'm so glad I found this forum - thanks guys!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
Get the pics up buddy
Ok, you asked for it lol. I'm going to post more today. I haven't figured out how to do it within the Bimmerfest iPhone app yet. Not sure if that's possible.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

Seems like I can only view on the iphone app, to post, I need to open safari, same case for everyone else?

Quote:
Ok, you asked for it lol. I'm going to post more today. I haven't figured out how to do it within the Bimmerfest iPhone app yet. Not sure if that's possible.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtaka View Post
There's a technical service bulletin, or whatever BMW calls it about that. Manufacturing defect caused by overtightening the light when first built. I have the same problem. Part can be found for around $127 on various sites that sekk OEM parts. If you look hard, you may find one on used part sites for a lot less.

I went to the dealer to see if BMW would repair as a courtesy since they admitted there was a problem. Not gonna happen. I'm going to order part from dealer using BMWCCA discount, then use service coupon and have them install it.

Enjoy the new car.
I found out from a friend that was able to look it up in a system at an auto parts place that there is a recall but only up to 6/05 models which is a 2006 and he told me to look at the date on the label on my door but mine was 4/06. I also called the dealer before he gave me that info but they said there's no recall associated with my car after looking up the vin and I didn't believe them at first.

Put the part in yourself. It's supper easy and I just did mine this Saturday in approximately 30 mins. The dealer was talking $475; $225 for the light and $250 labor for 2 hrs when it only takes half hour. Check my post for info on where to get the part for $111 cause the dealer will charge too much. Let me know the outcome and good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Seems like I can only view on the iphone app, to post, I need to open safari, same case for everyone else?
No you just need to login to the app then you can post. If you want to quote someone like I do, just click on the post and it will highlight with a link to quote the post highlighted.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Oh wow you already mentioned getting BMW oil from the dealer. You guys are great - thanks!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Took my car to the dealer with intent to buy some oil to top it off because it was low and they just did it for free! I'm not even under maintenance free but they did it anyway wow! BMW of Riverside - thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 6459
Is it bad that i put 10w 40? Castrol in my 645 vert?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 AM
drbbop

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Vert
Thanks for the info, that was a great help. Besides, I had noticed that the left wing on the housing was starting to show a crack anyway.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 740il 2007 650i
shorty7431

Quote:
Just got my 2006 650i 10/12. I'm glad I finally got this sweet ride. I traded in my 2008 528i to get it but it was well worth it. My next car will be a Ferrari.
I purchased the same looking vehicle color and all but in a 2007 have you had any issues with the transmission
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty7431 View Post
I purchased the same looking vehicle color and all but in a 2007 have you had any issues with the transmission
I have an 07 and no trans issues with 52k miles. If you are having issues search for transmission reset and give it a try. It works for many of us.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White