Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
My order

My order went in this past Sat.

335xi Black Saphire
Sportline
Tech Package
Black Leatherette with Red Stitching
DHP
Anthracite
Heated Seats

Thus far, I've forgone the PP, I don't care about leather at all - as I prefer the easy maintenance of leatherette. I do like Comfort Access but not willing to shell out $2200 for it.

I do have until Dec 22 to change my mind. Thoughts? Any other must have options I missed?

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2

Last edited by kobechrome; 12-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Personally I'm not willing to forgo lumbar support. But, then I'm also not willing to forgo leather and with the now standard keyless starting I really would prefer not to have to fool with getting the key out of my pocket at all. No matter how good some folks may consider the leatherette it is still vinyl.

Congrats on the car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
I don't think I could go back now that I've had comfort access, it's one of my favorite features. I like the leather too, I just wish PP had a little more to offer but I still have to take it were I to build a 335.

How about HK? If you like to listen to music a lot it's a good option. If you're more of a talk radio guy, then it's not worth it.

What transmission did you go with? The 8AT is super responsive and a lightning quick shifter. 6MT provides a better driver connection to the car. (IMO)

Do you live somewhere where it gets cold in the winter? I am in the NE, so CW was a must with the heated seats, heated steering wheel a close 2nd and 3rd to comfort access.

automatic high beams. Great option for 250. I am glad I have it.

X-drive really a must have? I prefer the 335 in RWD form and would be hesitant to give up the sport suspension. Would also save yourself 2K, so you can get PP after all in the same price point. It doesn't snow enough where i am to need X-drive. The RWD is no problem in rain. If worse comes to worse, I can always get a snow tire setup. More then likely, I just won't venture out in snowy weather.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post

335xi Black Saphire
Tech Package
DHP
Anthracite
Heated Seats

Thus far, I've forgone the PP, I don't care about leather at all - as I prefer the easy maintenance of leatherette. I do like Comfort Access but not willing to shell out $2200 for it.

I do have until Dec 22 to change my mind. Thoughts? Any other must have options I missed?
I am assuming you are getting the Sport Package as that is what is required to get the Black Leatherette with Red Stitching?! Also, the x-drive comes with square wheel set up, same wheels width front and rear. If you want the wider rear tires, you have to ask. I believe this is a no cost option. If you are getting the DHP are you getting an Automatic? If so, the sport trans gives you the paddle shifter on the steering wheel, a $500 option, worth a consideration.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I am assuming you are getting the Sport Package as that is what is required to get the Black Leatherette with Red Stitching?! Also, the x-drive comes with square wheel set up, same wheels width front and rear. If you want the wider rear tires, you have to ask. I believe this is a no cost option. If you are getting the DHP are you getting an Automatic? If so, the sport trans gives you the paddle shifter on the steering wheel, a $500 option, worth a consideration.
Yes - am getting the Sportline 8-speed automatic. I don't see myself using the paddle shifter that much so will probably forego it.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
I don't think I could go back now that I've had comfort access, it's one of my favorite features. I like the leather too, I just wish PP had a little more to offer but I still have to take it were I to build a 335.
I am still struggling with this - I really don't care about leather at all. My previous E46 and current E90 are all leatherette and it's served me well. I rarely clean or maintain it and it looks perfect. I do have Comfort Access currently so its hard to give that up, but I feel like the PP is 75% leather so its not worth to pay all that money just for CA

Quote:
How about HK? If you like to listen to music a lot it's a good option. If you're more of a talk radio guy, then it's not worth it.
I do listen to quite a bit of music and talk radio so its an option I'll consider.

Quote:
What transmission did you go with? The 8AT is super responsive and a lightning quick shifter. 6MT provides a better driver connection to the car. (IMO)
My wife drives the car as well do I have to go with 8AT.

Quote:
Do you live somewhere where it gets cold in the winter? I am in the NE, so CW was a must with the heated seats, heated steering wheel a close 2nd and 3rd to comfort access.

automatic high beams. Great option for 250. I am glad I have it.

X-drive really a must have? I prefer the 335 in RWD form and would be hesitant to give up the sport suspension. Would also save yourself 2K, so you can get PP after all in the same price point. It doesn't snow enough where i am to need X-drive. The RWD is no problem in rain. If worse comes to worse, I can always get a snow tire setup. More then likely, I just won't venture out in snowy weather.
I live in Northern VA. It doesn't snow alot but we do get 1-2 snow events on average per year. I know I gave up SS with the xi - which is why I added the DHP. I don't know if X-drive is a "must have" but my current E90 is RWD and I get frustrated every time there is even a dusting of snow.

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Nobody is a bigger BMW fanboy than I, but I just can't see spending $40,000+ on a car and not get things like a Nav, Premium sound system, Leather, rear-view camera, comfort access, etc...

If I were at a point where I had to sacrafice any of those features, I would definitely be looking at a 328 instead of a 335. The 328 is perfectly fine for how I drive and where I drive.

I am still getting a 335, but let's be honest, a 328 is perfectly fine for all of us...

Also, even if after switching to a 328 and I still couldn't squeeze these creature comforts into my budget, then I'd seriously look elsewhere (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and even Mazda, Nissan, Honda).

The other thing you may want to chop is AWD. I live in the NE and don't feel any need whatsoever to get an AWD car.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Nobody is a bigger BMW fanboy than I, but I just can't see spending $40,000+ on a car and not get things like a Nav, Premium sound system, Leather, rear-view camera, comfort access, etc...

If I were at a point where I had to sacrafice any of those features, I would definitely be looking at a 328 instead of a 335. The 328 is perfectly fine for how I drive and where I drive.

I am still getting a 335, but let's be honest, a 328 is perfectly fine for all of us...

Also, even if after switching to a 328 and I still couldn't squeeze these creature comforts into my budget, then I'd seriously look elsewhere (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and even Mazda, Nissan, Honda).

The other thing you may want to chop is AWD. I live in the NE and don't feel any need whatsoever to get an AWD car.

Yes good points. Spend 50k on a car and it does sound stupid to sacrifice these relatively inexpensive creature comforts. I'm 100% set on getting a 335. I've driven a 325 for 12 years now and I know the 328 is "enough" but I want more than enough for my next BMW. Also I can't drive another car. I won't consider Lexus, Audi, Infin, etc - they all pale in comparison, so I'm stuck with BMW and having to work within the constraints of my budget. I know it sounds stupid to spend 50+k and then nickel and dime over $1000 package but I'm truly just trying to get what I absolutely want without spending $$ on the features I don't care about.

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Yes good points. Spend 50k on a car and it does sound stupid to sacrifice these relatively inexpensive creature comforts. I'm 100% set on getting a 335. I've driven a 325 for 12 years now and I know the 328 is "enough" but I want more than enough for my next BMW. Also I can't drive another car. I won't consider Lexus, Audi, Infin, etc - they all pale in comparison, so I'm stuck with BMW and having to work within the constraints of my budget. I know it sounds stupid to spend 50+k and then nickel and dime over $1000 package but I'm truly just trying to get what I absolutely want without spending $$ on the features I don't care about.
If you have RWD now why not stick with it, buy a snow tire setup if you need it desperately and those savings alone would cover all three packages. Prem, HK etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
If you have RWD now why not stick with it, buy a snow tire setup if you need it desperately and those savings alone would cover all three packages. Prem, HK etc.
+1 - by dropping xDrive you get the sport suspension, which means you can probably forgo the DHP. Saved $3,000 right there. I have not yet driven a sport suspension car against a DHP car, but I think it is fair to say most on here who have the sport suspension do not regret not getting DHP.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport line
I took delivery of my 2013 328i Sport line just over a month ago. I have the sport pkg, premium pkg, and comfort pkg as well as Xenon lights & Harmon Kardon. The HK makes the car sound as good as it looks and I love not having to take my keys out of my pocket book at all! The comfort access & HK are my two favorite options!!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Yoyo Mama

Thanks for all the great feedback. It looks like virtually everyone is going with Premium Package - I do like the CA so I will have to reconsider. Also i vs xi is now on the table as well.

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Am I missing something? How is Lightning Package not on your list? Very bright and awesome looking. At bargain price too!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixotesque View Post
Am I missing something? How is Lightning Package not on your list? Very bright and awesome looking. At bargain price too!
Standard on 335.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Standard on 335.
Very nice! Did not know that. Isn't sunroof also standard on the 335?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixotesque View Post
Very nice! Did not know that. Isn't sunroof also standard on the 335?
Yes.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Even many of us who buy $50K cars are on a budget. I set my limit and evaluated what was the most important for the way I drive. I spend two hours a day commuting so my comfort level was the most important factor. Although I wanted a 335xi, I would have had to give up on some comfort features let alone the extra insurance and fuel, therefore, I went with a reasonably loaded 328xi. I had a fixed amount to put down and financed the balance, therefore, each $1K of additional options equaled about $13 per month. So, for example, if I added the HK, PDC with Rear View Camera and Sport Trans, I would have to pay an extra $40 a month. For you and your budget, I think it is perfectly logical to give up the premium package (leather seats, comfort access and satellite radio for $2,200) for the extra 60 ponies! That was the same thing I contemplated before I placed my order.

One other thing to note is that the X-drive car does come with all season tires meaning a lower speed limiter, to get the high speed limiter you have to order the summer tires! That might make the RWD option more attractive with summer tires and purchase a set of winters for the couple of months you may see snow in Virgina.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

335xi Black Saphire
Sportline
Tech Package
DHP
Anthracite
Heated Seats

You've gotten some good advice, my two cents:

1. You need the lighting package.
2. You should drop the XDrive and use the money towards snow tires + PDC/Rear Camera.
3. Reconsider Black Sapphire. I came from Space Grey to Mineral Grey and it's a very different look, much darker. You may find the transition from SG to BS too much and the halfway point being MG a better choice.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

2. You should drop the XDrive and use the money towards snow tires + PDC/Rear Camera.
3. Reconsider Black Sapphire. I came from Space Grey to Mineral Grey and it's a very different look, much darker. You may find the transition from SG to BS too much and the halfway point being MG a better choice.

BJ
BJ

He is going 335 so he gets the lights standard
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
BJ

He is going 335 so he gets the lights standard
I keep forgetting that fact. Might have to get a 335i just so I can remember.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
I did consider MG. It's an absolute beautiful color - probably the best color the 3 series has. I've been to the dealer and walked the lot 4x already and drove my sparkling graphite car right up next to it. If my current car was not graphite, I wouldn't even hesitate to get MG but it's soooo close in color. I've been staring at this gray for 7 years and just really need a change, hence the black. If you remember the Space Gray is a much lighter gray, so the MG is different enough. The Sparkling Graphite - it's just too close for me.

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
are they still offering the credit for x-drive?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I did consider MG. It's an absolute beautiful color - probably the best color the 3 series has. I've been to the dealer and walked the lot 4x already and drove my sparkling graphite car right up next to it. If my current car was not graphite, I wouldn't even hesitate to get MG but it's soooo close in color. I've been staring at this gray for 7 years and just really need a change, hence the black. If you remember the Space Gray is a much lighter gray, so the MG is different enough. The Sparkling Graphite - it's just too close for me.
So sorry, I miss read SG as Space Grey not realizing you had Sparkling Graphite.

Definitely enjoy the Sapphire, there's enough difference there.

BJ

Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Yoyo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
are they still offering the credit for x-drive?
If they are, I didn't get it. What credit are you referring to. I got Holiday credit and Owner Loyalty.

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
If they are, I didn't get it. What credit are you referring to. I got Holiday credit and Owner Loyalty.
I think he's confused.