Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
2001 BMW 740IL Timing Chain Rep. Cost?

I'm looking at buying a BMW 740IL in my area. It has 148,000 miles on it. The guy is asking a good price for it because it needs engine work. He told me it's making a ticking noise from the engine bay. He took it to a mechanic and he said that it could be the timing chain. I originally wasn't going to buy anything but the 7 series are my favorites, especiallyy the E38's. If I can get this one at a decent price and get it fixed, I'll be very happy.

Are are the average costs to replace a Timing Chain. What other possiblities are there as well?

He told me it's like a ticking noise. He also described it almost like a knocking noise, but he hasn't driven it in 3 months.

I am mechanically inclined, but when it comes to jobs like these I'm not in for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 318is
Knocking is never a good thing, I have a timing problem and I am in over $1000 in just parts and tools and the problem is still kicking my butt. If it is a rattle you may have broken guide rails, knocking sounds like valves. I'm not an expert but unless you are willing to replace the engine or rebuild it is not worth it. I got a super great deal on my 2000 740i but it has been sitting for 3months and it's not because I have not worked on it, from what I have seen and heard the timing wil run you a couple thousand to fix. I am a DIYer so I am comfortable doing the work, but the special tool needed to do the timing will run you about $350- $420 + the parts. I would suggest getting one that is in better runnig shape, I promise you will be happier, you may have to spend a thousand or so more but it will be worth it. It is an awesome ride you will fall in love with it.

Last edited by awright1412; 12-01-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 740il sport
my brother has a 2007 5series and his makes the ticking sound,it's an itty bitty ticking sound,i heard that ticking sound is normal...but knocking is not normal...if it only ticks than i would not worry about it (itty bitty tick).i have a 01 740il sport and mine ticks but purrs like a kitten other than that ticking.fun car man
Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 PM
SOCIETY OF 7'S

Mein Auto: Sporty Shorty '01 740I
I'd stay from that car if I were you. Having to replace your Timing Chain Guide is spendy. Depending on where you go, it can cost up to $3000.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooljess View Post
I'd stay from that car if I were you. Having to replace your Timing Chain Guide is spendy. Depending on where you go, it can cost up to $3000.
+1...

Easiest way to find out if its timing guides, is drop the oil pan and look for bits of plastic in the pan. If you have it, it becomes a pricey job. Minimum an indy shop will charge is 3K. If an indy shop quotes less than that, i would seriously question their abilities.

This is a big job. Can be a DIY depending on your mechanical abilities, but its still a big job none the less. Shops quote between 22 and 25 hours for it. And trust me, after doing this recently, it takes about every minute of it. For a DIYer your probably looking closer to 30 to 35 hours following step by step instructions.

Unless you have cash to burn and your getting this car for next to nothing.. Steer clear.

If you take a gamble and buy it, and plan to do the work yourself. Plan on spending between 1100 - 1500 just in parts and special tools. Thats about what it ran me, because once you start ordering parts, you start replacing parts that could be suspect along the way. Ie water pump, gaskets, hoses, etc etc etc... It adds up quick...And the parts you replace are parts that you dont want to skimp on and not buy OEM... BUY OEM for these parts if you do it...

Just my two cents... which is worth 37 dollars and change,,,stay thirsty my friends...LOL

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)

Last edited by ou18; 11-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.