Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i
2006 BMW 530i Idle Shaking/Vibrating

Hey everyone. So yesterday I got a 2006 BMW 530i with 56k miles on it. First off, it's a fantastic car. However today I went to the store, and when I got back to my car and turned it on, it started to shake. When I turned on the AC it starting shaking even more. While driving home, when I accelerated the RPM really roughly increased... as in it wasn't even. The worst shaking is when I am in drive, but stopped. In park it's still bad though. The "Service Engine Soon" light is on, and I have heard that when there is an ignition coil issue that light does not come on so I don't think that's it. The whole engine appears to shake slightly, but that's normal right? Also, the exhaust pipe shakes a decent amount and is a little louder now for some reason. I hope someone has an answer because this is quite distressing. I have no clue what to do.
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
One of the ignition coil is dead and needs replacement. Reading the diagnostic codes will point you to the dead ignition coil.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Okay thank you. The car is under warranty from the dealership I purchased it from for 3 months, and since I got it yesterday I should be fine. How might I go about finding the codes you were talking about? I can find what code points to what cylinder online, but I mean where do I see it on the car? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Okay so for anyone who sees this thread in the future, this is how I figured out what was wrong with my car. I did some research on some BMW forums and narrowed it down to the an ignition coil dying... just as pcy said above (thank you for that by the way). However, knowing very little about this particular car engine, I didn't know exactly how to approach it. I wanted to fix it on my own, so I looked up several DIYs for the ignition coil/spark plugs in an e60 BMW, but none were available for specifically the N52 engine. Finally just figured it out on my own. I do plan on making a DIY for BMW e60 with the N52 engine because I know how much trouble I went through to try to figure it out, so please look out for that. But anyways, to find out for sure if it was an ignition coil that was causing the problem, once I got to the ignition coils I started the car, and un-did each connector one by one, listening for an RPM drop. The first two coils caused a drop in RPM when disconnected, so I knew they were fine, however there was no change with the third. As delighted as I was, I had to make sure it wasn't the spark plug or the actual connector that had a problem, so I took out the coil that I suspected was the issue, and switched it with the second ignition coil (make sure you do this with the car off...). The drop in RPM was now in the 3rd cylinder, not the second, and when I disconnected the second (which used to be the third) there was no change. So that means it was (thankfully) the ignition coil. Because it is a Sunday, and because all of the auto stores that were actually open didn't have the ignition coil I needed, I was not able to fix it today. But now that I know how to do it and how easy the process is, when I get the part tomorrow (I still went to a store who said they'd send someone to the warehouse tomorrow to get one and they'd have it by mid-day) I will be able to install it in easily less than 30 minutes. By the way, the ignition coil I ordered from the store is Bosch, and it cost around $77 with tax.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
good for you!!
That's the best way to learn about your car.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw530silver View Post
Okay so for anyone who sees this thread in the future, this is how I figured out what was wrong with my car. I did some research on some BMW forums and narrowed it down to the an ignition coil dying... just as pcy said above (thank you for that by the way). However, knowing very little about this particular car engine, I didn't know exactly how to approach it. I wanted to fix it on my own, so I looked up several DIYs for the ignition coil/spark plugs in an e60 BMW, but none were available for specifically the N52 engine. Finally just figured it out on my own. I do plan on making a DIY for BMW e60 with the N52 engine because I know how much trouble I went through to try to figure it out, so please look out for that. But anyways, to find out for sure if it was an ignition coil that was causing the problem, once I got to the ignition coils I started the car, and un-did each connector one by one, listening for an RPM drop. The first two coils caused a drop in RPM when disconnected, so I knew they were fine, however there was no change with the third. As delighted as I was, I had to make sure it wasn't the spark plug or the actual connector that had a problem, so I took out the coil that I suspected was the issue, and switched it with the second ignition coil (make sure you do this with the car off...). The drop in RPM was now in the 3rd cylinder, not the second, and when I disconnected the second (which used to be the third) there was no change. So that means it was (thankfully) the ignition coil. Because it is a Sunday, and because all of the auto stores that were actually open didn't have the ignition coil I needed, I was not able to fix it today. But now that I know how to do it and how easy the process is, when I get the part tomorrow (I still went to a store who said they'd send someone to the warehouse tomorrow to get one and they'd have it by mid-day) I will be able to install it in easily less than 30 minutes. By the way, the ignition coil I ordered from the store is Bosch, and it cost around $77 with tax.
is there any way you can post DIY and pic? how to replace ignition coil.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by playahsofly View Post
is there any way you can post DIY and pic? how to replace ignition coil.
Have you seen this site? It's pretty much a DIY for everything BMW:

http://www.spaghetticoder.org