Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
Get the best price you can as close to invoice as possible. Then deduct Holiday, Loyalty, Ultimate drive app, USAA(if you qualify).
Just keep in mind that holiday and ultimate drive are for BMWFS only, and that using BMWFS drops USAA to $1k (from $3750 on the 50i). Also, USAA rates are about 2% lower than FS. PenFed is even better.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
Ours might be on the same truck. Mine finished production sometime last week but according to my dealer yesterday was with Wagoners Trucking, but hadn't left SC yet. He will check again tomorrow.

My order thread...
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktono View Post
Is that just to save delivery time or have you had a bad experience?

Of course if you aren't going to do proper two bucket washes anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter. Might as well screw up the paint from the beginning.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X-5 35i Sport
Quote:
Just checked online and the status has been updated to completed the "Finishing Touches" stage. I am guessing that this means it has been loaded onto the car hauler and is in route to the dealer. Wonder how many dealers are between SC and KS that have orders being filled.
One is stopping here in Cincinnati - mine!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Of course if you aren't going to do proper two bucket washes anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter. Might as well screw up the paint from the beginning.
It's not a Ferrari. You gotta start out with a great paint job if you're gonna obsess about it. My last three BMW's had more orange peel than should be allowed from a premium brand.
2010 R1200GS Adventure 30th Anniversary Edition
2014 S1000R

Past BMWs
2010 Carbon Black M5
2007 Graphite K1200GT
2008 335ia
2005 545i
2004 R1150R
2003.5 M3 Cabrio
2000 540ia
1997 M3 sedan
1997 540ia
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
It's not a Ferrari. You gotta start out with a great paint job if you're gonna obsess about it. My last three BMW's had more orange peel than should be allowed from a premium brand.
Good point. BMW paint jobs are screwed right from the factory.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
How will I know if I have the Sport or Multi-Contour seats? I must not be that perceptive to orange peel as I can't see it on my Sapphire Black. Maybe it's from three years of washes and some minor swirl marks!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
How will I know if I have the Sport or Multi-Contour seats? I must not be that perceptive to orange peel as I can't see it on my Sapphire Black. Maybe it's from three years of washes and some minor swirl marks!
The BMW website had also listed multi-contour seats on my order even though I had specified sport. We will see -- but I did check with my dealer as I was concerned. My dealer sent me a scanned copy of the order from the system which confirmed that the BMW website was wrong.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Multi Contour has power adjustable shoulder support front to rear (top 1/3 of backrest can tilt forward and aft), as well as power adjustable thigh and side bolster support.

As for the orange peel, do a search, there was a thread a couple months ago that had good pictures of what decent paint looks like compared to our X5s... its a shame really. I always thought my GM paint was bad.

Jay
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
As for the orange peel, do a search, there was a thread a couple months ago that had good pictures of what decent paint looks like compared to our X5s... its a shame really. I always thought my GM paint was bad.

Jay

Some people actually like the orange peel.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Jay
You can thank our government for the orange peal. Solvent based paints are frowned upon so BMW uses a dry application/bake process to paint these cars. You no longer have the wet/bake.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
You can thank our government for the orange peal. Solvent based paints are frowned upon so BMW uses a dry application/bake process to paint these cars. You no longer have the wet/bake.
That's BS.

Yes, new paints have a higher propensity to show this. But buffing WILL give you perfect paint. BMW **CHOOSE** not to put the labor into the finish.

Why do cars painted in germany have this?????????????????????
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the information on the seats regarding the differences and the BMW online error listing them incorrectly.

Jay - I will definitely look at that thread to see what orange peel is. I have a bright red repainted C3 Vette and have many people comment on how pure the paint looks without any orange peel. Never really researched what that meant just knew the color looked amazing and not too dark or any hint of orange like a light red would look like. The vintage "red" on corvettes had an orange tint maybe this was really orange peel instead of the tinting.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Jay - I will definitely look at that thread to see what orange peel is. I have a bright red repainted C3 Vette and have many people comment on how pure the paint looks without any orange peel. Never really researched what that meant just knew the color looked amazing and not too dark or any hint of orange like a light red would look like. The vintage "red" on corvettes had an orange tint maybe this was really orange peel instead of the tinting.
Orange peel is a texturing effect, not a coloration effect, as I understand it. And now I'm nervous that my X5 is going to show with a jacked paint job. That's not a problem I've had with any of my Audi's (or my wife's 335), but this thread is worrisome.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
And now I'm nervous that my X5 is going to show with a jacked paint job.

Bad paint jobs are the norm for BMW.

Next time buy a Toyota.

Last edited by RockChips; 12-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Quote:

Next time buy a Toyota.

Toyota is not that great either.

Last edited by Sean; 12-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Upon delivery of any car, I would do a two bucket wash, clay bar and lube, and throw some Duragloss 105 on there.

This is assuming you are competent to do these things.

And if you are really skillful, I would use cquartz. Basically a permanent wax for life. Dirt doesn't stick to it. Its amazing.

Last edited by RockChips; 12-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:

Next time buy a Toyota.
Your pre-edit response was more amusing, as a result of being more disturbing. Guess I'll have to inspect the car super-carefully before I sign off.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
Guess I'll have to inspect the car super-carefully before I sign off.
While I would do this anyway, I'm not sure rejecting a car because of bad orange peel and then hoping the replacement won't have bad orange peel is very realistic.

My desire to own this particular vehicle for a number of reasons trumped the quality of the paint in my book.

Its a decision that you'll have to make on your own though.

In any case enjoy your new ride!!!!!!

Jay
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
While I would do this anyway, I'm not sure rejecting a car because of bad orange peel and then hoping the replacement won't have bad orange peel is very realistic.

My desire to own this particular vehicle for a number of reasons trumped the quality of the paint in my book.

Its a decision that you'll have to make on your own though.

In any case enjoy your new ride!!!!!!

Jay
It all depends on how bad it is. I think all of us in these forums have certain expectations given what we're paying for our cars; those of us in this thread, which relates to a car that sells for somewhere between $70K and $80K, probably have even higher expectations. Basically, none of us want a car that shows shoddy worksmanship, no matter how well it drives.

Note: While I've never had a paint issue with any of my Audis, I've noticed different down market moves by them that are similarly galling. For example, my current S4, which is fully-loaded, doesn't include the headlight washers, adaptive/self-leveling headlights, power folding side mirrors, or underseat storage that I had in my previous S4. And I also noticed that there are 15 S4s on my local dealer's lot today . . . a far cry from when I took delivery of one of only 2 S4s allocated to the dealer. It used to be that Audi gave you the same or a better car than either BMW or Mercedes for about $10K less (the ML 550 doesn't even come standard with leather seats, for crying out loud). Not so much anymore. First world problems, right.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM

Let us know how it turns out at delivery, maybe you'll get lucky.

Jay
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Ours might be on the same truck. Mine finished production sometime last week but according to my dealer yesterday was with Wagoners Trucking, but hadn't left SC yet. He will check again tomorrow.

My order thread...
My CA told me today that he still does not have a time for the transport leaving SC. I can't stand waiting anymore. He did say that he expected it next week so maybe less than 10 days away. Has your status changed?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
My CA told me today that he still does not have a time for the transport leaving SC. I can't stand waiting anymore. He did say that he expected it next week so maybe less than 10 days away. Has your status changed?
Same story for me. It is still reporting as waiting in SC with Wagoners Trucking. He did say that once it leaves SC, it typically arrives in Denver in 3 days.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Same story for me. It is still reporting as waiting in SC with Wagoners Trucking. He did say that once it leaves SC, it typically arrives in Denver in 3 days.
IF they are on the same truck then mine should be in KC in 2 days. So maybe a late next week pickup for both of us. I'm just hoping it is here before Christmas with a big red Lexus bow!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
IF they are on the same truck then mine should be in KC in 2 days. So maybe a late next week pickup for both of us. I'm just hoping it is here before Christmas with a big red Lexus bow!
Mine is finally on a truck headed to Denver. They expect delivery on Wednesday, so it should be ready for pickup on Thursday or Friday. My guess is that yours is on the way as well. You got me thinking about a bow for my wife. And to think a new BMW isn't enough?