Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Transfer case chain?

Have a question for you.

My 01 x5 with 160k is clicking when I accelerate. I thought it was my axles at first but took it to a shop and after they replaced them they came back with I need a new front transfer case. 2k installed for a reman. The mech said I could remove the front drive shaft and make it a 2 wheel drive. I tried that and turns out the shaft I removed was the main shat because now the car rolls in park so I put that back on. So I went to the forums and found a great thread for replacing the bike chain in the transfer case. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

I have looked at the pics but is this the front transfer case? I read thru the really long thread and some ppl said you don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Any clarity you can provide or experience would be helpful as now the car clicks all the time and the spouse is ready to jump ship to the L brand.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Had a similar issue but couldnt quite figure out if it was the axels....took it to the shop and they found out it was some lose bolts in the suspension!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Have a question for you.

My 01 x5 with 160k is clicking when I accelerate. I thought it was my axles at first but took it to a shop and after they replaced them they came back with I need a new front transfer case. 2k installed for a reman. The mech said I could remove the front drive shaft and make it a 2 wheel drive. I tried that and turns out the shaft I removed was the main shat because now the car rolls in park so I put that back on. So I went to the forums and found a great thread for replacing the bike chain in the transfer case. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

I have looked at the pics but is this the front transfer case? I read thru the really long thread and some ppl said you don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Any clarity you can provide or experience would be helpful as now the car clicks all the time and the spouse is ready to jump ship to the L brand.
You may need to find a new mechanic. There is no such thing as a 'front' transfer case. The only transfer case you have, is mounted on the rear of the transmission, and it provides power to both the front and rear driveshafts. Because the 4wd system in your vehicle is an AWD (all wheel drive) system, it does not have the capability of providing power to just the front or rear axle alone. Both driveshafts must be in place for the system to work.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWrench View Post
You may need to find a new mechanic. There is no such thing as a 'front' transfer case.
Thanks for the info! What would you call the drive train device that the front drive shaft connects to between the front tires? I ordered a chain from cobra transmissions but if that is for the transfer case behind the transmission then that won't help me in fixing my issue.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Thanks for the info! What would you call the drive train device that the front drive shaft connects to between the front tires? I ordered a chain from cobra transmissions but if that is for the transfer case behind the transmission then that won't help me in fixing my issue.
The component, in the front axle, that the front driveshaft connects to is the differential. You also have one in the rear axle. Neither of these differentials have a chain, they use gears to transfer power from the driveshaft to the axle shafts. As for the noise you are hearing, without more information, I can't guess at what is causing it. Since, as I recall, you started this thread asking about the transfer case, I am going to asume that it is where your 'mechanic' diagnosed the noise as coming from. The big chain in the transfer case has been known to stretch, and can cause a ratcheting, banging type of noise under acceleration. If that is the case, then you have three options. Replace the transfer case with either a new unit, or a rebuilt one. Have the chain replaced in your unit, by someone who knows what they are doing. Or ignore the noise, and live with it. Again, this all depends on what is actually making the noise you are hearing.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Decided this may be a bit much for me to fix so I took it to AAMCO and they pulled the transfer case and said I needed a new chain and planetary gear. They called BMW and they wouldn't sell the individual parts. Thankfully, AAMCO let me supply the parts ordered from cobra transmission and they arrived 2 days later for the fraction of the cost of a new transfer case. Thank you forum for being here I saved quite a bit on this repair!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Decided this may be a bit much for me to fix so I took it to AAMCO and they pulled the transfer case and said I needed a new chain and planetary gear. They called BMW and they wouldn't sell the individual parts. Thankfully, AAMCO let me supply the parts ordered from cobra transmission and they arrived 2 days later for the fraction of the cost of a new transfer case. Thank you forum for being here I saved quite a bit on this repair!
Just curious,r how much was the labor to do xfer case by AAMCO.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM

The book labor was 4.2 hours to remove the case and they charged another hour to replace the 2 parts, a bit much for parts that were already out but oh well. Labor was 470 and parts was about 450. Problem is 1 of the 3 seals is leaking and they had me sign no warranty since I supplied the parts so I might have to fight them a little. But it drives great again and I don't have to cringe when I press the accelerator.