Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Thumbs down 4.4 N62 white smoke out exhaust left side

I bought this with the idea it would be better than a ford but I think not. Purchased at 68K now have 91K its started to smoke white to light gray,to me looks like oil smoke, oil burning in the cylinder. It seems logical to me, valve oil seals are the issue. And from what I have learned from the post site could be. Looking for help on doing this myself since independent shop wants $3200 plus machine shop cost so the cost would be higher. Has anyone done this ? If so can you send any tips in what to watch out for or not do?Before I remove the heads I will perform a compresion test to establish a base line. Any help and tips would be appreciated. Thanks
And this will be the first and last BMW I ever buy. Seems durability just sucks. Had a 1995 ford Tauris ran till 195000 miles with out engine or transmision failure. Just reguler service,Drove a 2004 4X4 diesel 6.0 with less trouble than this 05 X5
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 4.8is
Ya you could go back to Ford, but then you'd be stuck driving, well, a Ford.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM
brodie@morrisracing.net

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i
Don't give up on the BMW brand!
I've owned a 2002 745i that I didn't have a single problem within the time I owned it, and they say thats the worst year to buy a 7 Series.
I've owned my 2001 X5 4.4i since December, have put 10k miles on it so far, and haven't had problems except a little quirk with the transmission electronics.

Regardless, good luck with the X5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansBeast View Post
Ya you could go back to Ford, but then you'd be stuck driving, well, a Ford.
He's right

2001 BMW X5 4.4i - Jet Black - Beige Leather - Sports Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, 20" Aftermarket Wheels
2002 BMW 745i - Sterling Grey Metallic - Black Leather - Convenience Pkg - Sold
1999 Chevrolet Corvette - Arctic White - Tan Leather - Convertible - Sold
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 - Silver Steel Metallic - Black Leather - 425HP, Navigation - Sold
Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
check you crankcase pressure regulators, they get gunked up and cant release crankcase pressure, if that doesnt fix it, its the valve seals, very common issue, sometimes if you do an engine flush, it helps...other wiser its just try some valve seal repair lubricants or go to thicker oil, it will lessen the dsmoke but it will never go away
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
I have an 04 X5 4.4 with the same problem. Yhe CCVs were replaced about 1K ago but still have smoke. I am going to do a Liqui-Moly flush and then put a 10w30 Redline oil in it and see what happens. If there is still a problem I am going to replace the valve stem seals myself I have read up on it and dnt think ill have a problem. I have a good friend that is a full time mechanic in case I have a problem. If you do your vehicle I would be very interested how it went. Thanks in advance!