Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Demographics

Couldn't see a thread about this here so I decided to start one.

Male, late 40's , executive for a software company, live in NJ, 2 high school kids, first BMW.

Bought this for my wife, but I drive whenever we're together and am the one who will be taking the vehicle to box stores, garden centers, etc. My car's a sedan and we need one larger vehicle for the aforementioned and ski weekends and trips.

It was my decision to purchase the X3 and sell our MDX. My wife picked the colors and she likes the M Sport package the best- like I did. I like technology and music and have been driving friend's 3, 5, 7 and X vehicles for years. I love the way BMW's drive. I've bought Acuras for years which are nice to drive and absolutely bullet proof when it comes to reliability. Thought I'd give the X3 a shot- concerned about having repair issues, but know we'll love driving it around.
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The repair issues under the warranty will be moot -- as long as it remains under a warranty. However the issues will become significant in most cases (note the qualifier) if you drive beyond the warranty period -- or do not get the follow on extended BMW warranty. Driving a bimmer out of warranty is throwing the dice! These are not Acuras, Hondas, or even Chevy Trucks -- they will have issues and those issues will be expensive. One other thing, you might want to think long and hard about letting your high school age kids (especially boys) drive your X3 with you not in it! Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The repair issues under the warranty will be moot -- as long as it remains under a warranty. However the issues will become significant in most cases (note the qualifier) if you drive beyond the warranty period -- or do not get the follow on extended BMW warranty. Driving a bimmer out of warranty is throwing the dice! These are not Acuras, Hondas, or even Chevy Trucks -- they will have issues and those issues will be expensive. One other thing, you might want to think long and hard about letting your high school age kids (especially boys) drive your X3 with you not in it! Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
My son won't be driving it- he has his own car. Thanks for the adivce!

Even if I have issues that are covered under warranty I'll still be pissed off. I don't want to be spending much time in the service department.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You will know fairly early on if you got a "good" one or not. They will all need some tweaking but the good ones will go a long time between dealer visits. My mistake was that I had one that was bulletproof until 55K miles then it started to go south. Being stupid since it was a "good" one I didn't get the extended warranty. Bad mistake! Oh well, live and learn I guess. I am moving on to a Cayenne just because I want something different. Good luck with yours!