Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Budget Exhaust Modification ideas?

I have searched for a while now, but always seem to have trouble finding posts specific to a 2006 3.0si roadster. Most of the exhaust info tends to be M series related.

Has anyone done a resonator delete on a 3.0si? With or without aftermarket muffler? What about secondary cats?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3.0si doesn't have the valve many people use the "golf tee mod" on, correct?

My end goal is a deeper, low end sound at idle and light to medium acceleration to turn heads at lights and downtown driving.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
Correct, there is no valve stem on your Z to do the golf tee mod.

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4, 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamket View Post
My end goal is a deeper, low end sound at idle and light to medium acceleration to turn heads at lights and downtown driving.
Any thoughts?
I have a 2006 Z4 3.0i....and I kinda wish I had the same. Not interested in new mufflers, but have a bit more rumble with the resonator delete (if possible) would be nice.

Anyone have suggestions or alternatives? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
I have a 98 2.8L Roady. Last year I had the original muffler cut off and a Magnaflow flow through muffler installed at a performance muffler place. The whole deal cost $240 with chrome tip and an excellent job by a great shop in Huntington Beach, Ca.
Let me say that this is one of the best mods I have ever done to this car, it sounds fantastic, has a nice rumble and I think is not very loud. The muffler is a straight through design and about 20 inches long, it is a 2.5 inch core as is the exhaust plumbing. I didnt touch the catalyst, they are needed for the smog system and removing them only invites trouble.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM

The danger with swapping the muffler is that in MA, you can't have any system that is louder than stock.... So, although I could schmooze with the inspection station, it'd be easier if I can get more growl and a deeper time somewhere further up the system so that I can poit to the oem part no. Right on the muffler if they start asking questions.

Any ideas whether I'd get more effect from removing the two secondary cats, or that spot closer to the rear axel that looks like a little mini muffler/junction (right near #4***5 in the attached image)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	367201  

Last edited by Liamket; 03-19-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Typo, added picture
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
I see what you mean, the Z3 muffler is more conventional looking than the Z4. You could open the OEM muffler and try some surgery from the top. Weld it back up and away you go. Most OEM mufflers have sound deadening material and a variety of passages that could be modified. I have seen some pages on the web where this was done.
As for the cats, I am fairly sure that if you remove them the sound level will increase, they are quite restrictive and should make a huge difference, however so will your smog numbers if they check for that in MA.

As for that junction, I am sorry to say that I have no clue, however it doesn't look like there is enough space for that to be more than a balancing chamber or perhaps a strengthening area?
Have you considered a muffler cut out? These are valves that are usually activated by the driver to bypass the muffler all together, that might work?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 PM

MA doesn't do smog. Just obd readouts which should be ok since the secondaries don't have sensors in them, just material. Has anyone gutted their secondary cats and put the pipe back on with success?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
It's a Federal Law......

To remove a catalytic converter..... It may or may not make a difference to you now... but when you try to sell it, it might.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/enforc...hsysrepair.pdf

It's not that I like the law either... but it is the law....

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 PM

What seems to be the case is that, unless I want to spend a ton of money for the big name systems(arqray, etc) for a bolt-on system, I have to custom build. Lots of guys have put in a magnaflow dual/dual in the section where the secondary cats are, and then run straight pipes to the rear, but even then, according to the laws posted above, the shop shouldn't even touch that section. There doesn't seem to be any lesser expensive aftermarket mufflers that will fit right into the OEM's spot and so a simple muffler swap isn't really simple at all.

If I want the option to put the stock system back on if need-be, it seems that the best bet would be to use two exhaust clamps to a dual/dual up front with custom straight pipes to the tips, and to keep the long stock set-up in the garage. This would give me only two cuts and two clamps to deal with.

Thoughts?